How to get GPS to follow the road

tweetiepy

I know I'm going something wrong, my GPS brings me to the site of the caches but it does so in a straight line - over buildings & across yards. How do I get it to give me a route that follows some sort of road until I get to the actual location?

I have a Magellan Explorist 310 - I'm still learning the controls and doing so very badly.

Thanks

I don't think any handheld GPS's (made primarily for geocaching) have turn by turn navigation.

If you want to have that ability, you should probably buy another GPS that is designed specifically for navigating on the roads. Or, if you have a smart phone....you'll probably have an App or mapping APP that will give you turn by turn directions.

Some of the street navigating GPS's (like Nuvi) can be loaded with geocaches as POI's. You can search and click on a geocache and hit GO (without typing coordinates). It'll take you within parking distance of any geocache you've loaded in it.

I don't think any handheld GPS's (made primarily for geocaching) have turn by turn navigation.

If you want to have that ability, you should probably buy another GPS that is designed specifically for navigating on the roads. Or, if you have a smart phone....you'll probably have an App or mapping APP that will give you turn by turn directions.

Some of the street navigating GPS's (like Nuvi) can be loaded with geocaches as POI's. You can search and click on a geocache and hit GO (without typing coordinates). It'll take you within parking distance of any geocache you've loaded in it.

My old 76CSx does.

Oh, but they do. I think it depends on the mapping programming.

Delorme is switchable at any time. We use it to road navigate close, then switch it to hiking. Getting too close with road navigation is wildly inaccurate as you close in -- it does want to stay on the road, ya know!

Forget to switch it to hiking and you'll probably never find the cache.

The Garmin Oregon series allows this function

Edited by shantz_uk_&_cleverclogs

Delorme is switchable at any time. We use it to road navigate close, then switch it to hiking. Getting too close with road navigation is wildly inaccurate as you close in -- it does want to stay on the road, ya know!

IMO this is the "right" answer. My Garmins (Legend HCx and Montana) out of the box do not have follow the road, turn-by-turn navigation. I bought City Navigator maps to add this ability to the GPS.

IMO this is the "right" answer. My Garmins (Legend HCx and Montana) out of the box do not have follow the road, turn-by-turn navigation. I bought City Navigator maps to add this ability to the GPS.

Many of the newer models of handhelds have the ability to do turn-by-turn, but they require maps that have such routing information.

I use the turn-by-turn on my Oregon whenever the best route to a cache isn't clear or the route has many turns. I always check to make sure the proposed route makes sense and will take me to where I want before I start driving.

A lot of questions in the forums recently -- must be a Christmas gift thing :) --

Just do a forum search using 310. There is a lot of good info posted and similar problems solved.

It is definitely a Christmas thing! This is our first GPSr, and we're making a switch from my Android and my husband's ipad. Both of which are proving to be much more accurate and easier to use. I dropped the 310 in my bag today in favor of the ipad and phone because it was such a pain in the tuckus.

I've never used a GPS other than the Tom Tom we use for driving which is dummy proof.

We have an Oregon.... and It'll never be as good as having a dedicated 'street' navigation GPS.

I see a couple flaws with using it:

The Oregon doesn't have speakers, so the instructions will never be spoken to you.

The Oregon screen is way too small and would require you to take your eyes off the road to clearly focus on such a small screen to see where your next turn would be.

Street navigating GPS's are very inexpensive and you can actually load them up with geocaches. BE SAFE and buy the right tools for the job. Street navigators have big screens, 'speak' the instructions, will automatically zoom in & out for clearer views of upcoming turns/intersections.

Edited by Lieblweb

My Oregon 400t does, so does my 60CSx.

We have an Oregon.... and It'll never be as good as having a dedicated 'street' navigation GPS.

The Oregon doesn't have speakers, so the instructions will never be spoken to you.

The Oregon screen is way too small and would require you to take your eyes off the road to clearly focus on such a small screen to see where your next turn would be.

Street navigating GPS's are very inexpensive and you can actually load them up with geocaches. BE SAFE and buy the right tools for the job. Street navigators have big screens, 'speak' the instructions, will automatically zoom in & out for clearer views of upcoming turns/intersections.

I use my Nuvi to get to the correct corner. I use my 60CSX to get me to the correct bush on that corner. I tried using the turn by turn on the handheld once, I think it wanted me to got on the freeway in the wrong direction. Not really sure as it was so confusing.

I use my Nuvi to get to the correct corner. I use my 60CSX to get me to the correct bush on that corner. I tried using the turn by turn on the handheld once, I think it wanted me to got on the freeway in the wrong direction. Not really sure as it was so confusing.

I use my 60CSX quite a bit, and it seems to work just fine in most cases. If I am geocaching in an area I haven't been before, it really helps getting from cache to cache.

I still need to have some idea of where the cache and/or trailhead is. As mentioned before, turn to turn on the road will not always bring you to the best access point.

If I use it to find a route to a place or business, it is a lot harder. If I am somewhat familar with the area, and have a bit of an idea where I'm going it works fine. I do think it would be better, (and safer) to have a unit designed for street navigation when I'm way out of my usual haunts.

I do think a unit designed for the street will be better, and I had that on my list of Christmas wishes. I now have it on my birthday list. :) If all else fails I may have to buy it myself. :o:D

A friend of mine uses her Oregon for driving all the time. It beeps when she is supposed to turn. Once for right, twice for left, or the opposite, I don't remember.