Garmin Nuvi 50LM paperless?

So for xmas, I got a new garmin nuvi 50lm gps and now have a free trial premium membership. I tried to load a pocket query onto the new gps, but the cache names don't show up, only the GC# code. Is there a way to have it show the cache names? And is it possible to go paperless with this gps? It doesn't seem like cache description info gets added to the gps, but I feel like I'm doing all kinds of things wrong. I've spent all day reading through these forums and finally it just seemed easiest to post my specific question. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

What you want to do is load the caches as POIs, that will get you all the information about the cache. You can look on Garmin's website for a how to load POIs or GSAK has a macro that automates the process, their forum is very helpful to help you find the correct macro. GSAK will also allow you to load the name of the cache they way you want it named, either name or GC number for both POIs and just loading the caches.

I had used the POI loader and GSAK macro that was posted for "paperless NUVI caching" some years back with my 1450. It worked great with my 1450, but now I have a 50LM and the wife has kept the 1450 (we have 4 different models in the family now). I've been working a lot and had gotten out of geocaching. Just retired so no I have time and want to start back up with my 50LM.

The macro has not been updated since 2008 and the 50LM is not a selectable model in the macro for GSAK.

Does anybody have any idea which if any of the selectable models in the macro would be best to use for a 50LM or will none of them work? Or is there a better way to do this now (remember I'm out of the loop by about 4 to 5 years and playing catch up).

Although I use an Oregon550 I have a Nuvi 1350 which also stores the same geocache files as the 550. Actually the Nuvi does some things better than the O550 as I use GSAK to also create TourGuide files for the geocaches which mean I can get both a visual and aural message when a geocache is within my programmed range.

For a Nuvi The later version of Nuvi_GPX_by_CT (GSAK macro)supports different colored text and you can download logs etc. It's been my experience that the differences between (older) Nuvis was screen resolution. I suggest you compare the resolution of your Nuvi with others supported by Nuvi_GPX_by_CT and select the one with similar screen dimensions.

The combination of Nuvi and Oregon makes the whole exercise flow better. Couple of pictures from my Nuvi 1350 to better describe what can be done.

scr1.jpg

scr2.jpg

scr3.jpg

If you just want the cache name rather than the GC number, after saving the query to your desktop and then loading it into GSAK or EasyGPS, you have to arrange the columns with the cache name in column 1 before sending to your GPSr. If the GC number is in column 1 that is what will read on your Nuvi.