Camino de Santiago

After having traveled some parts of the trail and seeing the movie "The Way" i had this idea and started to and started investigating to see if it was feasible, and found that there are many interesting waymarks to put in the category.

I know this is not a global category, but it covers all Europe and i think it is interesting enough to make a good category.

Here is a first draft of what will be the category:

The Camino de Santiago trails are traveled by pilgrims who flock to Santiago de Compostela since the ninth century. These are called pilgrims, from the Latin "per ægros", "one who crosses the fields." They have a shell as its symbol, a scallop.

The Camino de Santiago reached its height in the eleventh and twelfth centuries century but in recent decades regained prominence, being converted not only on a spiritual journey but also in a cultural journey of first order and was declared a World Heritage Site.

The trails are spread throughout Europe and millions of people came from all over the world to walk in them.

d66c3ada-938e-46d0-85bd-39bd41ecb545.jpg

This category is to Waymark Markers, Monuments, Fountains and Albergues dedicated to the Way os St. James.

Here are some exemples of what will be acepted:

Markers:

Example 1

Example 2

Example 3

Example 4

Example 5

Example 6

Example 7

Example 8

Example 9

Example 10

Example 11

Example 12

Example 13

Monuments:

Example 1

Example 2

Example 3

Example 4

Example 5

Example 6

Fountains:

Example 1 (This is a very famous fountain because in it you can drinki water or you can drink wine :D )

Example 2

Example 3

Example 4

Example 5

Example 6

Albergues:

Example 1

Example 2

Example 3

Example 4

Example 5

Example 6

What do you think?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Very impressive!

I've tried to get a little background on this so I can comment from a good perspective, and your photos help. So, I am quite enthusiastic about this as a category.

We have many precedents of categories dedicated to trails, some of them far more restricted geographically than this one, which crosses the borders of many countries. I think the historical and cultural importance of this trail system certainly calls out for a category of its own.

One thing to consider is that many of the waymarks for this category could be included in other existing categories such as the fountains and many of the monuments. Ordinarily that would be a major concern. The difference, to me, is the significance of this trail AND that each of these sites is clearly identified in a unique way as being part of the trails--logo, sign, or other identification. This gives the category a clear, identifiable focus. There are also many waymarks that would be difficult to fit into another category. For me, all of these are compelling reasons to support a category like this.

I wish you all the best with this project.

(Let me know if you need any help writing it).

~SQ

Hi Razalas,

It's very fun because I created 4 years ago a category for this subject.

Pilgrims of Santiago

Because I don't really practice Waymarking at this time, I never submitted this category.

If you want, I can accept you in this category and after that, resign as Leader of this group. So you'll be the new leader.

What do you think ?

Chris777

Edited by Chris777

I like this idea and would be happy to participate.

Unfortunately it seems that we currently have tough times for this kind of category. I thought this idea was discussed a while ago with no success, but I could not find a related thread in the forum. A broader pilgrimage category was denied about a half year ago.

I still think it is worth to try it. If we can learn from the recent failures maybe this time it works. Your current proposal is a very good start.

Hi Razalas,

Pilgrims of Santiago

Because I don't really practice Waymarking at this time, I never submitted this category.

If you want, I can accept you in this category and after that, resign as Leader of this group. So you'll be the new leader.

What do you think ?

Chris777

It might be better to create a new group and category to keep the dates consistent with activity. Otherwise it will appear that category started five years ago.

There may have been discussion about this in the past, but I think that it is a strong concept and certainly consistent with many similar categories that we already have.

Hi Razalas,

Pilgrims of Santiago

What do you think ?

Chris777

It might be better to create a new group and category to keep the dates consistent with activity. Otherwise it will appear that category started five years ago.

There may have been discussion about this in the past, but I think that it is a strong concept and certainly consistent with many similar categories that we already have.

Hi, I apologize for not having replied earlier, but due to the holidays have not been able.

Chris777 Thank you for the offer but exists the problem that silverquill pointed, so I think the best solution is create a new group and start from there.

Thank you for your feedback.

Hi,

Trail sign 1

Trail sign 2

last weekend i googled a little about the 'Way of St. James'. I was totally surprised that the Way directly leads through my hometown. I started a trip with my family and we walked for about two hours the 'Way of St. James'. We found trail signs at places we are walking by almost everyday.

I started to take coords and pics from the signs. Normally I'm not a fan of 'boring signs' but it was fun. Keeping the eyes open to find the Way and the next sign.

Back home I checked my pics and thought about them. Too boring for Waymarks,....?

I came to the conclusion: "The journey is the destination." So if we see not only these smalls signs but rather the Way (Pictures from the Way) we would have a great documentation of the Way of St. James. So please if you are Waymarking these small signs open your eyes and take pictures from the great sourronding things. I will go there again and add some more pics from the nearby things.

-lumbricus

Edited by lumbricus

Actually, there is a complete series marking the Way of St. James completely done. There's even a geocaching passport involved. GeoPelegrins is a project undertaken by a group of teams that geocercadors through geocaching visitors to take the Catalan Way of Saint James. So we are talking about a series of Catalonia geoamagatalls crossing along the Way of Saint James. It consists of 16 sections. In each section you will find a geoStamp to put in your geoCredential. We hope you enjoy! Initially geoPilgrims were the creators of this series, but now that everyone do the Way of Saint James by this series will also be a geoPilgrim. You'll be so? Here's the website. Here's the website. http://en.geopelegrins.cat/

The website is amazing. They even have PDFs of all the caches along the way...available downloads of the cords. Etc. Etc.

Just another journey along the way...

Donicab