Bluetooth stickies

user13371

NFC has to be closer(inches?), doesn't it? These range about 100ft line of sight -- though I guess that's under ideal conditions.

Also, BT is already ubiquitous in cellphones, NFC isn't.

I agree with you on price though -- I think even Chirp is an order of magnitude too costly. I think if anything like this comes down to the $2 - $5 retail range, they'll really take off.

I would not suggest using these. There are not waterproof and you have to be about 1-2 feet away to pair with them. At that distance, you will have already found what you are looking for!

So, for a kind of tracking game, everyone would pair with these, then the Stickies get thrown into a field (in tennis balls or whatever). And everyone tries to find them.

I would not suggest using these. There are not waterproof and you have to be about 1-2 feet away to pair with them. At that distance, you will have already found what you are looking for!

You must not have some of the great camo we have around here. You could be holding the cache and not know it. It appears to require you to be so close to prevent you from accidentally pairing a different one, but it could still be used for other uses in a mystery cache.

have to be about 1-2 feet away to pair with them

True, but I'm not sure you need to pair to use it. The way I read it, you need to be paired to control the thing (make it buzz, light up, etc) but the app can "see" any that are in range, paired or not. At least giving a rough distance -- could make a decent game of "hot or cold."

... not waterproof...

Neither are a lot of caches, sadly. Put it in a bag.

Edited by user13371
The way I read it, you need to be paired to control the thing (maike it buzz, light up, etc) but the app can "see" any that are in range, paired or not. At least giving a rough distance -- could make a decent game of "hot or cold."

Can any Bluetooth device work with that App, and show distance without being paired? I might be able to find a bunch of old BT headsets or mice, cheap.

Can any Bluetooth device work with that App, and show distance without being paired? I might be able to find a bunch of old BT headsets or mice, cheap.
I dunno about the Stick-N-Find app, but your comment got me to searching. Came across this developer tool:

Bluetooth Smart Tool

which would probably do something like that (spot signal strengh of any BT device in range). Pricey though; $12 :)

There is also tōd (http://www.todhq.com) and Wireless Sensor tags (http://www.wirelesstags.net). It seems like the hardware is out there for a more open (Bluetooth 4.0) alternative to the Garmin Chirp's more closed (ANT+) wireless beacon. Not to mention the fact that you can easily swap out batteries.

What we need is finished product and software to make it work for geocaching. I suppose you could just place a couple BlueTooth 4 devices and name them what you want (coords or clues).

Edited by Tha Duh Feez