Technogeek SD card question

Bonaro

I am sure this info is buried in the forum somewhere but I couldnt find it...asking again

Santa brought me a Montana 650T and I have been shopping for a SD card for it.

It will take a 64gb but I am looking for a 32 because that fits the budget better and is plenty big enough.

My question is about the SDHC card speed.

Standard SDHC cards are class 4 and preimum cards are class 10. This makes a difference for a digital camera because the slower class speed card will write slower but will this make a difference on a GPS? The only thing I can imagine is that it would take a extra second to pull up a map image when moving the cursor around.

Anyone have any opinions?

Speed is (I think) only an issue when writing to a card - which a camera mostly does. Reading from a card - as a GPS receiver spends all its time doing - is generally quite fast. Somebody can come along and correct me if I'm wrong, but that's always been my understanding. So paying extra for a high-speed card may only result in you loading maps to the unit more quickly - and how often will you do that?

You may have a hard time finding enough maps to fill an 8GB card, let alone 32 or 64. I'm a map collector, and the largest card I own is 4GB, which is plenty. (If I travel to a new country, I swap cards.)

In other words, don't spend a lot on an overkill memory card.

Good info

On my old 60CSx I has a 2gb card and I had maps for nearly everywhere I could possibly go so except I had to dump so cal when I needed to load Alaska. Now the maps I will be getting are 24k opposed to my old 100k. I assume that since they have more detail they are larger files.

I do believe 16gb would be far bigger than I would ever use...but...that is the exact same thing I said about the 20mb hard drive on my 286 computer back in the day

Good info

On my old 60CSx I has a 2gb card and I had maps for nearly everywhere I could possibly go so except I had to dump so cal when I needed to load Alaska. Now the maps I will be getting are 24k opposed to my old 100k. I assume that since they have more detail they are larger files.

I do believe 16gb would be far bigger than I would ever use...but...that is the exact same thing I said about the 20mb hard drive on my 286 computer back in the day