adding variables?

hi there i just wondered if someone could answer my question. my question is what does adding variables to a category mean? in other words what does the term variables mean on Waymarking? thanks.

When you create a new waymark in any category, there are a few key pieces of information that must be provided (Name, Coordinates, Country, State/Province, Quick Description, and Detailed Description).

For any particular category, the group that created the category can add any number off additional "fields" that will appear on the waymark creation page, each field being used to gather additional specific information. Those additional fields are Waymarking variables.

For example, in the Town Clocks category, Status (whether the clock is working or not), Display (whether the clock is mounted or free standing), and Year Built are variables for that category.

In a different category, you'll find different variables.

I always found the term "variable" used in the context of a waymark a bit odd.

The above answer is a good summary.

It is a good way to enter specific information for each waymark within a category.

So at a glance one can see the date, address, condition, or other essential information.

The variable fields may be either required or optional.

There are specific types of data fields that require an exact format for information, such as a date. There are also text boxes, radio buttons, drop down lists, check boxes, etc.

In general, I have found that keeping variables to a minimum is best. And, unless the specific information is available and relevant to EVERY waymark, it is best to keep them optional.

Initially we were told that we would be able to search on variable fields. So within a category we could search for all town clocks that are freestanding. I think this feature has never been implemented. Has anyone had experience with this?