Garmin Etrex 20

Rod202

Received a Garmin Etrex 20 for Christmas hoping to start some geocaching in the New Year and I immediately run into problems on the geocaching.com site.

Once I had selected a Geocach of my choice with my GPS plugged into my pc I click on the ‘’send to my GPS and it forwards to a different window titled ‘’Garmin communicator plugin not detected’’ !! and promting me to ‘’dowloand and install this plugin for windows which I did and run the program…..

‘‘Your system does not have the required version of the microsoft.NET framework. We will install the Microsoft.NET framework now. Once this is complete the Garmin map updates will continue.’’

I click ‘’ok’’

Extracting files……. The setup runs ……

‘’Setup has detected that this computer does not meet the requirements to install this software.These requirements must be met before you can install microsoft.NET framework 3.5 SP1’’

Microsoft windows installer 3.1

‘’you must install windows installer 3.1 to complete installation. Microsoft.NET framework3.5 requires that windows installer 3.1 be installed prior to the installation’’

I have limited computer knowledge and this has knocked me for six as I thought it would be a simple task of plug in and away you go. Has anyone encountered this problem before or know a way around this problem?

The net framework can be a drag and if you are unlucky updating you can crash windows.

Easier and saver to download your caches, unzip (if they come as a PQ) them on the computer and MANAULLY copy paste them on the Gps.

I don't cache so I'm not sure what folder, might just be the Garmin\GPX folder.

Somebody will correct me.

Edited by splashy

The net framework can be a drag and if you are unlucky updating you can crash windows.

Easier and saver to download your caches, unzip (if they come as a PQ) them on the computer and MANAULLY copy paste them on the Gps.

I don't cache so I'm not sure what folder, might just be the Garmin\GPX folder.

Somebody will correct me.

Don't you just love MS? If you have a spare hour or two it is probably worth downloading and installing all the bits needed.

Splashy has suggested downloading the data as a PQ, but you won't be able to do that as you're not a Premium member. You can download the LOC file and then move that manually to the folder on the GPS. (I think that "gamin/gpx" is the correct folder).

But the LOC file is really only the most basic information, just the location. You have an advanced GPS that allows "paperless" geocaching (it can load all the cache description, clues, logs etc that is provided in a GPX file).

You really should consider upgrading to premium membership. This will give you access to download GPX files, creating queries of specific caches you want (a PQ file).

Edited by Huntleigh

First, download the free EasyGPS software to your laptop from their website (I have Windows XP). I had previously saved a list of caches using my Premier Membership on Geocaching.com (it gets emailed to you). Open the email, save the file to your computer, then open in EasyGPS. From the top menu under "GPS" choose "Save to GPS" and the whole list downloaded in seconds. Now when I go into Geocaches on my Garmin eTrex 20 unit it shows my whole list. All this took several hours of figuring. I agree - it was harder to set up than I expected, and I'm reasonably computer savvy. Good luck!

First, download the free EasyGPS software to your laptop from their website (I have Windows XP). I had previously saved a list of caches using my Premier Membership on Geocaching.com (it gets emailed to you). Open the email, save the file to your computer, then open in EasyGPS. From the top menu under "GPS" choose "Save to GPS" and the whole list downloaded in seconds. Now when I go into Geocaches on my Garmin eTrex 20 unit it shows my whole list. All this took several hours of figuring. I agree - it was harder to set up than I expected, and I'm reasonably computer savvy. Good luck!

EasyGPS is a good idea that bypasses the need for the Garmin Communicator/MS .NET/MS Installer software but the OP is only a basic member so he's only going to be able to use LOC files which really only tell you the location, cache and hider's name and not a lot more.

For that matter does EasyGPS load all the GPX data? Does it load the description, cache type, etc?