notification for when a photo is uploaded

TomToad

I would appreciate something like this, especially in case someone uploads a photo I would rather not have on my cache page.

I wouldn't mind if I needed to open the cache page to see the photo...knowing it is there is key to dealing with it as required.

I believe that this was one of those popular Feedback Forum items that was "prioritized in our system".

It's a great idea that would be very beneficial to cache owners. We have a local cacher that posts a note, (then deletes it), announcing that he has added photos to his find logs. This way the CO and all watchers get a notice and can go take a look. There is no reason why this shouldn't be automatic, at least for the CO.

I, too, think that notification when a photo is uploaded would be a good idea. I took a picture of a beautiful, serene, lily-filled bay and designed a pathtag from the experience. The log owner didn't know I had a picture that accompanied my log until almost a year later. On the other hand, a newbie cacher posted a photo that would be expected of a pre-teen youth, which he was not. I contacted the CO not knowing if he would laugh it off or consider it vulgar. The words under the photo added to the crudity. The CO thanked me for letting him know and chose to ask the cacher to remove the picture as this is supposed to be a family friendly game. The CO had no idea the picture was there. The cache was a new one that I liked and thought to copy one day if I could just find a similar place so I was watching it to see how others liked it.

This is a great idea.

When photos show up on logs maybe weeks later, this would be a good way to help COs keep track and further maintain their hides.

I also support this idea and not just to let caches owners know when someone might have posted a photo that probably should be removed. Some people might be posting photos that a cache owner might actually enjoy seeing (like the picture of the baby signing the log book for a very large ammo can in the woods).

The code change to do this would be a trivial update. We have email notification on new log so the framework is there.

There really should be notifications so cache owners can monitor listings for inappropriate photos, be it revealing or be it crude.

Very likely this is true, but I imagine (and I have to, since we get no feedback from them) that there is someone who will run a report which quantifies how many pictures get uploaded per day, multiplied by the size of a notification email and summarizes how much more bandwidth and email server resources this will consume.

Perhaps a cooling-off period, where the new photo notification is only sent if the log to which it is being attached is more than x number of days/hours old?

The code change to do this would be a trivial update. We have email notification on new log so the framework is there.

There really should be notifications so cache owners can monitor listings for inappropriate photos, be it revealing or be it crude.

Very likely this is true, but I imagine (and I have to, since we get no feedback from them) that there is someone who will run a report which quantifies how many pictures get uploaded per day, multiplied by the size of a notification email and summarizes how much more bandwidth and email server resources this will consume.

Perhaps a cooling-off period, where the new photo notification is only sent if the log to which it is being attached is more than x number of days/hours old?

And that would help how? Brand new log or old log, as a cache owner, I currently don't know if an image has been posted until I open the cache page and look, every time a log is posted. Assuming that I am the most responsible cache owner in the world, how much more bandwidth/resources are being used than if a simple notification went out and I had to review only the ones that actually exist?

And that would help how? Brand new log or old log, as a cache owner, I currently don't know if an image has been posted until I open the cache page and look, every time a log is posted. Assuming that I am the most responsible cache owner in the world, how much more bandwidth/resources are being used than if a simple notification went out and I had to review only the ones that actually exist?

Excellent point -- I didn't really think that through did I? Given that perspective, if I were in the meeting presenting the bandwidth usage report, I'd temporize by suggesting that sending the photo notifications would actually reduce the amount of bandwidth because CO's would not need to go to the site to review the cache page to see if a log included a photo or not.

Premium Only Feature: Receive photo email updates to this cache? Yes/No

You'd think that this would close the deal.

I like the idea of getting a notification when a pic is posted to one of my hides. I have a couple where I don't want pics that show too much of the cache, and there are some local cachers that have been known to post major spoiler pics.

Making a notification a part of PMO is an interesting idea.

Thanks for offering the idea.