Delorme Cache Register

flight815

According to the Delorme website:

"Due to password management changes on the www.geocaching.com website the Topo North America 9.0, Topo North America 10.0, and Cache Register programs are no longer able to automatically download pocket queries from or upload field notes to geocaching.com."

Does anyone know if Delorme is working on a fix for this?

I got spoiled with the one-click transfer of PQ's to my PN-60. I could do it manually either through Topo or copying directly to the SD card, but both require extra steps. I am NOT happy about this.

According to the Delorme website:

"Due to password management changes on the www.geocaching.com website the Topo North America 9.0, Topo North America 10.0, and Cache Register programs are no longer able to automatically download pocket queries from or upload field notes to geocaching.com."

Does anyone know if Delorme is working on a fix for this?

I got spoiled with the one-click transfer of PQ's to my PN-60. I could do it manually either through Topo or copying directly to the SD card, but both require extra steps. I am NOT happy about this.

I just fired up my TOPO NA 9.0 and it downloaded the PQ's just fine. I have not tried CR yet. I tried to find this posting on Delorme.com, but could not.
... I tried to find this posting on Delorme.com, but could not.

Here, DeLorme tech note 114, from October. The tech note says these automated features don't work in some cases, and also how to work around and load Pocket Queries manually.

Rather than asking folks here if DeLorme is working on it, it would be far better to CONTACT DELORME. The more they hear from people the more likely they'll work on it.

Edited by user13371

Trying to load up a new computer and surprised to find Cache Register is no longer available or even supported by Delorme. I've been using it for years and to this day it still works for me on my old XP machine. I would still like to try it on the new machine but can't find a copy or Cache Register anywhere. Being a free download and always available on the Delorme site I didn't bother to save a copy of the install package. DUH! I'm not at all impressed with Delorme mapping software and have avoided using it at all costs. Fact is, I don't have it installed on anything anymore. If Push comes to shove I think GSAK will load the PN-40 and may even upload field notes.

Does anyone know where I can grab a copy of Cache Register 2 or did anyone save a copy they can send me? I'd like to try it on the new machine.

Yeah but its not available there. The download link goes to a page with the info in the OP and goes on with instructions how to load up PQs with Topo.

Wow, that's pretty definitive. I feel for you, I really do, but I have to laugh at the download button going to a page describing a workaround. Thanks for pointing it out.

I've always just copied the GPX files manually, although GSAK will probably do a better job for you. I've never used GSAK for that, but my understanding is that it should work as well for PNs as anything else -- and I hear it works pretty well -- now that the PNs support copying files (as of 2 years ago).

I agree with you about Topo. I tried using 8 and 9 to manage my PN-40 and PN-60, and everytime I clicked the button, I never really knew what it was going to do. And, too often, what it decided to do wasn't at all what I want it to do. I was only using Topo to download PN space images while I had the free map subscription, but even then I copied the maps manually to the GPSr. I keep thinking Topo would be really good for something, just not anything I need to do.

I've always just copied the GPX files manually, although GSAK will probably do a better job for you. I've never used GSAK for that, but my understanding is that it should work as well for PNs as anything else -- and I hear it works pretty well -- now that the PNs support copying files (as of 2 years ago).

Disclaimers: I am a Delorme Topo fan who lurks on Groundspeak Forums occasionally, but does not actively geocache. I had a premium membership for a year merely to download a few PQs to test the process. I downloaded the GSAK App for limited experimentation as well, but never educated myself in many of its features and filters.

Cache Register I/II use: Those days are gone, unless you happen to be one of the lucky geocachers who has not updated a computer or tried to change a password and thereby disabled automatic connection to Groundpeak PQs after Groundspeak changed the game.

Topo8/PN-40 users who have never used Topo: It is not worth the trouble to try to learn Topo8 merely for geocaching at this point in time. Either switch to GSAK or just use Windows Explorer to copy unzipped PQs in GPX file format to your PN-40 SD card. Either method will require updating your PN-40 from 2.6 to 2.9 firmware tp support file management in gpx, not proprietary, format. DO NOT upgrade to PN-40 2.9 firmware if you are still trying to work with Topo8 in combination with the PN-40. This situation is clarified on the Delorme dot com Support pages.

Topo9/PN-40/60 users: Topo9 geocache file management in gpx format is supported satisfactorily in both Topo9 and in PN-60 or PN-40 with 2.9 firmware. Spend a little time learning how useful the Delorme 3D Topo mapping and other features are designed to work.

But for more flexible management of your geocaching PQs, download the GSAK application and teach yourself the even more difficult task of using that program. Good luck.