edit a pgx file

Hoytguy

This may have been brought up before but I cannot locate any info.

I have a garmin 450 and when I open up a gpx file in note pad or even microsoft word I try to edit the gpx file with more info in the description and then I tell it to save it after closing the editing program .

When I turn the gps unit on and look the cache that I edited the gpx file, it will not show up in the list of geocache`s unless I download it from the cache page again.

So how can you edit the the gpx file and have it show up in the list of caches with the added info .

Thanks.

I downloaded GSAK, but I havent figured out how to use it yet to edit a GPX.

Again, what exactly do you want to edit?

A GPX file is basically an XML file which is text wrapped in open and close tags. It can be edited with any text editor.

I would caution against Microsoft Word - it might add extra stuff unintentionally.

I would use microsoft word or note pad to just add clues and what not and when asked if I want to replace it after I`m done, I would click yes and then the cache wouldnt show up in my gps unless I redownload it into my unit again.

First, as noted above, I would stay away from a full blown word processor program such as Word and stick with Notepad. Are you saving the GPX to your hard drive, editing it and then transferring it to your GPS? A lot of GPS units only load the GPX to memory when it is first detected. Try editing it before transferring it to the unit.

If you load the GPX into GSAK, you can edit any of the waypoints using a form. You can change the hints, edit the description, etc and it will save it correctly, so you can then send it to the GPS. Just select a waypoint and click Waypoint/Edit.