How do I start a geocaching group?

Mole60

A friend and I organised a meet and greet event for our small community of geocachers. One result was that the geocachers felt it would be good to create a geocaching group, sort of informally, where we could chat and organise geocaching activities in our area. How do we create a forum page or group?

Post another event.......list in the description that you want to start a group. Get people together at an event to plan regular events, etc. Got Facebook? Create a group on facebook.

Get some communications going - E-mail some of the folks who attended the last event..... Have folks 'spread the word'

Our local group has events once a month (1st Tuesday). We also have a Facebook group. The group has been around for years and its pretty well established.

Don't get discouraged with it. It'll take time to develop something strong. Also, you need dedicated people who can take the time out of their own busy schedules to plan events & meetings. Don't make it complex....

Meetup.com is good, but I find it a bit pricey for what they offer.

You can also try using the Canadian forum pages here

Canadian forums link

And start a thread for a geocaching group forming in BC and use the forums and a thread there to keep up with the activity of your group.

More geocachers might see it than they would on the meetup website.

I think this is a good idea. I want a place where other geocachers can find us, that's why I thought if I could put it on the geocahing forum that would be handy. Will explore your suggestion. Thanks

Post another event.......list in the description that you want to start a group. Get people together at an event to plan regular events, etc. Got Facebook? Create a group on facebook.

Get some communications going - E-mail some of the folks who attended the last event..... Have folks 'spread the word'

Our local group has events once a month (1st Tuesday). We also have a Facebook group. The group has been around for years and its pretty well established.

Don't get discouraged with it. It'll take time to develop something strong. Also, you need dedicated people who can take the time out of their own busy schedules to plan events & meetings. Don't make it complex....

I like Facebook, and would have done a page for this,but other people are leery of FB, so I don't want to go this way. I think that emailing each and every one each time we want to get an event going is probably going to be the way. Tedious, but most effective. I might try starting a thread on the geocaching forum, where others can find the group and someone to contact if they wish. Thanks for your input.

I like Facebook, and would have done a page for this,but other people are leery of FB, so I don't want to go this way. I think that emailing each and every one each time we want to get an event going is probably going to be the way. Tedious, but most effective. I might try starting a thread on the geocaching forum, where others can find the group and someone to contact if they wish. Thanks for your input.

IMHO.... if others are leery of FB, that is their problem and loss. Doing a mass mailing each time you organize something may be construed as spamming by your provider and blocked. Use the social media sites. Those that want to be a part of the group will join.

for mass mailings to the whole group you can start a yahoo group. With that you can send emails to the whole group and only send one email.

You can do what you want with the settings too. Most groups have them set so when people respond they respond to the whole group at once. It makes group communication really easy.

The only difficult part is getting everyone to sign up for the group. I believe you can add people if you get their email addresses, but I'm not sure. That would be the easiest way to do it.

You have to get a yahoo account if you don't have one, but that's not a big deal. They're free. If you have an email account with someone else, you can set the settings to send your group mail to your other account so you don't have to check two email accounts.

IMHO.... if others are leery of FB, that is their problem and loss. Doing a mass mailing each time you organize something may be construed as spamming by your provider and blocked. Use the social media sites. Those that want to be a part of the group will join.

Facebook is unpopular with a lot of people, and becoming more so.

If the people he knows don't like facebook and he's just starting the group, why alienate some just to force the group onto facebook? There are so many options out there these days. Facebook is not the only option.

I'm on some Yahoo groups that also have facebook sites. The Facebook site is never used but the yahoo group gets a lot of action.

If you are looking for a FREE and EASY way to contact other geocachers, try this suggestion......

Meetup.com is good, but I find it a bit pricey for what they offer.

You can also try using the Canadian forum pages here

Canadian forums link

And start a thread for a geocaching group forming in BC and use the forums and a thread there to keep up with the activity of your group.

Everyone who is a member of geocaching.com can get the information. And with a little guidance, set their preferences to receive a notice whenever something is added to your thread.

for mass mailings to the whole group you can start a yahoo group. With that you can send emails to the whole group and only send one email.

You can do what you want with the settings too. Most groups have them set so when people respond they respond to the whole group at once. It makes group communication really easy.

The only difficult part is getting everyone to sign up for the group. I believe you can add people if you get their email addresses, but I'm not sure. That would be the easiest way to do it.

You have to get a yahoo account if you don't have one, but that's not a big deal. They're free. If you have an email account with someone else, you can set the settings to send your group mail to your other account so you don't have to check two email accounts.

Yahoo groups are good because they're free. You don't actually have to have a yahoo account to join a yahoo group. You can still join and get on the email list. You won't, however, be able to login into the yahoo group page to look at old threads and photos posted.

It's easy enough to get around that. Lots of people are on meetup already and will get the notification when a new group starts.

If they're not on meetup already, you can easily advertise your meetup group on your local forums, facebook and by word of mouth, simply by posting the link and inviting people to join.

One tip to get around meetup organizer fees: Find a local geocacher who's already a meetup organizer. It doesn't cost them anymore to start another meetup group. They're already paying their fees. Let them start the group then make you co-organizer so you can run it.

Edited by The_Incredibles_

You won't be able to cater to everyone..... Making a Facebook page is ONE method of advertising & communicating with your local people. Don't ignore posting a Facebook page simply because a few people are leery of it.

It's all about 'getting the word out' .... and you are not forcing anyone to join facebook. Facebook is nice that people can respond and everyone can see the 'conversation'.

You could also find a free webpage service and create your own webpage. Get a group name and create a group email account (google),etc.

Our local group is open to everyone and anyone. There are no members lists. There's really no structure (other than the monthly meet ups). There is a website & a facebook page. People come and go as they wish..... its just a method for local folks to meet & greet each other. The facebook page is great that someone can post up geocaching trips..... get help with GPS devices... or ask questions to other members.

Edited by Lieblweb

If you're a little computer savvy, you can register a new domain name and build your very own discussion forum and webpage! I use TMD Hosting and I recommend SMF (Simple Machines Forums) for the discussion forum!

I have built and hosted several forums and it's not that difficult to do! This will give your group a PRIVATE place to swap stories, organize meet & greets and just hang out!

Just my .02 :D