Large Lockable Box for a TB Hotel

Joshtrecker81

hey all i am looking at putting together a TB Hotel Multi that would require 2 locks ...i have seen other TB Hotels using what looks like am empty outdoor circuit breaker box...what are these things really called and where can i get one or what can i get cheaply that will hold a large number of items and have 2 locks with out a ton of welding or modifications..this will be placed in plain sight so an ammo can is not really an option however i am exploring mailboxes...any ideas or suggestions please let me know

Boxes of the sort you have pictured are called, in the trade, "Hoffman boxes", although Hoffman is a particular manufacturer, much like talking about "Crescent" wrenches, or "Vise Grips".

If you Google "NEMA 3r enclosures" you will be offered a multitude of choices. Size, material it is made of, ect. The "3r" specification means that it is "raintight", and would be the recommended type.

Be aware that the metal, larger sized ones, such as you have pictured, are quite pricey!!. You can sometimes find bargains on "evil-bay" if you are willing to wait, but most of the time the shipping cost offsets the price savings.

hey all i am looking at putting together a TB Hotel Multi that would require 2 locks ...i have seen other TB Hotels using what looks like am empty outdoor circuit breaker box...what are these things really called and where can i get one or what can i get cheaply that will hold a large number of items and have 2 locks with out a ton of welding or modifications..this will be placed in plain sight so an ammo can is not really an option however i am exploring mailboxes...any ideas or suggestions please let me know

Check out the North Bend Travel Bug Hotel which we found today. It is an ammo can in plain sight next to a state highway. Like any popular touristy type TB hotel it has challenges with trackables going lost, but it is not due to the security of the cache itself.

You might consider something like this.

It has worked well and the price is more reasonable.

Cache box --

f1f67a76-ed7b-4d2f-8576-a50b794798f9.jpg

Cache is bolted to the fence behind the hedge at the airport entrance.

72c96539-42d7-4894-8cbe-9bbe1520886d.jpg

Building on the left edge of picture is the airport main terminal (it's about a 300' walk).

This has been a very successful cache - 380 visits in about 20 months.

Of the approx 600 trackables logged into it, I think only 9 have been "lost".

I do not think the 'lost' ones were taken by muggles - probably 20 others have gone from the cache without being logged out, but have re-appeared a week to 6 months later in other caches 1 mile to 2500 miles away !!

It seems we are getting more and more cachers out there who do not know how or want to bother with logging trackables.

Go to your local electrical contractor. Most of the time, they will have a junk disconnect laying around. Some of these are designed to be raintight, and all will have a place to lock it shut. Depending on the contractor and the condition of what they have, you should be able to get it cheap or free. I have used one that is about 10 inches wide,about 16 inches tall, and about 5 inches deep that I got for free. The bigger one in the above pictures may be hard to find used, and are very spendy (over $700) new.