NRHP site not working

linkys

Anybody else having trouble with the nationalregisterofhistoricplaces.com website? I am getting a login page when I go to it, whether from my bookmark, the NRHP Waymarking page or one of the existing NRHP waymarks. Have tried on different computers and different browsers with same result.

It appears that website is currently not working. I know it sat idle and was not updated for a few years but then was updated. Wonder if they finally have given up on it since the official site is finally more functional.

Not sure as to what you mean by more functional as I can't seem to find the info needed for the NRHP category on the official site. But then again, a simple person such as myself needs a simple site. LOL

It appears that website is currently not working. I know it sat idle and was not updated for a few years but then was updated. Wonder if they finally have given up on it since the official site is finally more functional.

Not sure as to what you mean by more functional as I can't seem to find the info needed for the NRHP category on the official site. But then again, a simple person such as myself needs a simple site. LOL

I agree about the NPS Focus site. Color me a simple.person, too. :rolleyes: It seems I always have to go through too many changes and the specific info (as required in the variables) is not linkable. Many of the records I have sought have not been digitized yet.

I recently submitted two NRHP waymarks and received a message from Silverquill that he was holding off reviewing until the issue of the MIA NRHP site was resolved, which is totally fine. I understand. I had actually included a link to an archived copy obtained through the Wayback Machineq-link.gif but of course, that won't help the hundreds of WMs already in existence. There is an alternative site that I usually include a secondary link to -- FindTheDataq-search.gif -- that provides all the variables too, but again, it won't help the existing WMs.

Whois says the nationalregisterofhistoricplaces.com domain is active and not due to expire until 2017. The last time it was updated was January 2012, so who knows?

Regardless, it is sorta hard to submit a WM when the requirements specifically mention linking back to the old MIA NRHP site.

Edited by La de Boheme

The officers for this category are discussing alternatives. Right now we are in a waiting period to see if the site comes back up. There are some alternative sites that might serve us just as well. The problem is that all of the waymarks to date are linked to that site, so they would all have dead links.

The official NPS site has some nice features, but it is not possible to link directly to a specific listing. The only things that has a direct link are the digitized nomination forms and photos, but very few sites have these.

I've cleared the pending waymarks as they all had alternative links, but it is probably best to hold off on submitting new ones until we get this sorted out.

Looks as if this site is back live!! I will have to revise once again. At least this means that our old links aren't dead.

Is it necessary to revise again? As we saw, sites go down or they don't get updated or the domain expires. As long as the required info is provided, does it matter if it is linked to nationalregisterofhistoricplaces.com, findthedata, landmarkhunter, or whatever site? Probably a good thing to not limit linking to one specific site, but have a few back-ups.

JMO

One thing I noticed that still isn't 'fixed' with the nationalregisterofhistoricplaces site. You still get an error page when accessing counties with an apostrophe ( ' ) in the name. I remember trying to use the Contact Us link to inform them of this snafu, and I got "This section is currently under development; scheduled to be complete by May 15th." I see it remains 'under development'. I just haven't figured out May 15th of what year...???

shrug.gif

Edited by La de Boheme

Looks as if this site is back live!! I will have to revise once again. At least this means that our old links aren't dead.

Is it necessary to revise again? As we saw, sites go down or they don't get updated or the domain expires. As long as the required info is provided, does it matter if it is linked to nationalregisterofhistoricplaces.com, findthedata, landmarkhunter, or whatever site? Probably a good thing to not limit linking to one specific site, but have a few back-ups.

JMO

One thing I noticed that still isn't 'fixed' with the nationalregisterofhistoricplaces site. You still get an error page when accessing counties with an apostrophe ( ' ) in the name. I remember trying to use the Contact Us link to inform them of this snafu, and I got "This section is currently under development; scheduled to be complete by May 15th." I see it remains 'under development'. I just haven't figured out May 15th of what year...???

shrug.gif

I agree. I think it's unwise to require linking to a commercial 3rd party site that has proven to be unreliable.

I agree. I think it's unwise to require linking to a commercial 3rd party site that has proven to be unreliable.

I received a very nice response from the owner of this web site. This site has been in continuous operation since 2000 without major incidents. This episode resulted from errors made by the hosting company and slipped by the monitoring system. It was just an odd set of things coming together.

He affirmed his commitment to keeping the site running and implementing new monitoring procedures. He is also working with the National Park Service to improve the updating and functionality of the site.

So, I'd say we're on pretty safe ground. The NPS site itself goes off-line occasionally. It happens to the big guns and the little guns. It's just a fact of life on the internet.

If there are other problems such as missing pages, error messages, we can document these and get the pertinent information to him. I think he would welcome those kinds of reports.

I've revised our category description and posting instructions to reflect these changes.

We still prefer that the primary URL be a link to the page listing on nationalregisterofhistoricplaces.com but will also accept the other two sites, Land Mark Hunters or FindTheData. Both of them have limitations, but can be valid for some listings.