Car got robbed while doing cache maintance!

WarNinjas

Well our big book for our pier 39 cache was actually full so we bought a new one and decided to stop by. We thought we should also add some more swagg so we pulled out our geocaching backpacks and got some out and like idiots left our bags in view in the car. Mind you there was also 2 gps, my work phone (droid) Some flashlights, a camera and in the back more a 18 pack of cold beer along with other stuff. Well the punks for some reason break out the front passenger side window and who knows why the back passenger window. What did they grab???? Our 2 geocaching back packs! We were actually laughing because they are backpacks designed for lap tops so they probibly thought of valuable stuff in it. Instead must have ran somewhere and opened them up to find???? WarNinja pins, A camo duct taped water bottle preform to a clamp. A couple of bison tubes, Some blank Logs, Little army men, some marbles, Seashells, A fence post cap with a container glued inside, Some home made rocks with blinkies in them, A crazy collection of pins we have been collecting out of caches for the last year, Tie Wire, Camo Duct tape, A plethora of mini pencils, Some Zip lock bags, A camo painted small lock n lock, Some desiccant bags, who knows we might have even had a happy meal toy or two in there!

Pissed they busted out our windows but think there was at least a little justice for us and confusion/possible fear for them!

-WarNinjas

I got my jeep broken into (loose use of the word, the doors were off, so not much breaking) a couple years ago. I had my geocaching bag behind one of the seats. They ripped my radio out of the dash (it was broke, anyway) and, instead of just grabbing my bag, which had my GPS, hunting knife, camera, etc, they open it, rifled through it, took a cheap MP3 player, and left everything else. Their stupidity actually saddened me a little.

I was robbed while caching. They smashed my rear side window and grabbed my purse, which was hidden. I cancelled all my cards from the parking lot. The cops found the purse later and months later, some hikers from NY found my wallet and dropped it off at my house. Money gone, all the cards and my license intact. Moldy, but intact.

Well our big book for our pier 39 cache was actually full so we bought a new one and decided to stop by. We thought we should also add some more swagg so we pulled out our geocaching backpacks and got some out and like idiots left our bags in view in the car. Mind you there was also 2 gps, my work phone (droid) Some flashlights, a camera and in the back more a 18 pack of cold beer along with other stuff. Well the punks for some reason break out the front passenger side window and who knows why the back passenger window. What did they grab???? Our 2 geocaching back packs! We were actually laughing because they are backpacks designed for lap tops so they probibly thought of valuable stuff in it. Instead must have ran somewhere and opened them up to find???? WarNinja pins, A camo duct taped water bottle preform to a clamp. A couple of bison tubes, Some blank Logs, Little army men, some marbles, Seashells, A fence post cap with a container glued inside, Some home made rocks with blinkies in them, A crazy collection of pins we have been collecting out of caches for the last year, Tie Wire, Camo Duct tape, A plethora of mini pencils, Some Zip lock bags, A camo painted small lock n lock, Some desiccant bags, who knows we might have even had a happy meal toy or two in there!

Pissed they busted out our windows but think there was at least a little justice for us and confusion/possible fear for them!

-WarNinjas

Ugh, the amount of window-smashing that goes on in San Francisco is horrible. Don't ever park your car in Golden Gate Park after dark! <_< But I'm glad they didn't get anything worth a lot of money, I'm sure they were truly wondering what in the world you were up to once they opened that backpack. :lol:

This is always my biggest fear when I go hiking. That and not finding the car there at all. I've been tempted to just leave the window down and leave a note, "Take what ever you want, but there's nothing here that you would want". At least it will save me the window.

Something just popped into my head. I think I'm going to wrap a black trash bag around my passenger window to make it look like I got robbed the day before.

I had mine broken into while parked in a gated community. No place is safe.

I have heard many are broken into at trailheads figuring they will be gone for a long hike.

A friend recently had her car broken into right at a R.E.I. She was bringing her GPS in to be checked. All they got was her caching stuff nothing really costly.

Many have deductibles, I only have liability so when mine gets broken into the window is more costly then the items they take.

My car was broken into right in front of a police station on a visit to San Francisco. A friend had left her backpack right out on a back seat without my realizing it. They smashed the window and took the pack and that was it.

I've never allowed anyone to leave backpacks out in plain view in my car again. I've had people question me on it, and I won't let it happen. It will be me paying for the broken window. No backpacks left out in the open. Period.

My first car was broken into while I was at work. What was in there that they took? Less than $5 in coin - may even have been less than $2. Not worth smashing the window for. My current car , an SUV, came without a cover for the trunk area, so I bought one for that reason, just in case. Don't want anyone stealing our toilet seat on legs!

The xTrail came with many hidey holes which I make full use of, but usually carry everything important with me.

Wait, was your car robbed or burglarized? :ph34r: I think the Minneapolis Police characterizes these as "break-ins", at least that's what they called it when my truck was raided downtown. They refused to use the terms "robbed" and "burglarized". I lost a thousand bucks worth of crap out of my truck that day.. between electronics, knives, camping, caching and hiking gear.

Is anyone else wondering what happened to the other six beers?

Nothing happened to them. 18-packs exist.

51xV9ndIMkL.01._SR300,300_.jpg

Yes, but the OP mentioned "beers." That picture is just rocky mountain spring water :laughing:

hey now...That Rocky Mountain Spring Water match any Clydesdale Pulled wagon brand anyday:)

When I park my vehicle in the boonies, I never lock the doors.

There are usually far too many rocks lying around, and if someone wants what is in there I'd rather they just open the door and take it instead of breaking the windows.

You're assuming those brain-dead thugs would actually try the door handle first. What fun is that?