Favorite Points

Mianselus

HI, I got a problem, I just got a Premium membership and i see that i have total of17 favorite points, but I have found 308 caches, so by the calculation of 1 favorite point = 10 geocache found I should have got total of 30 points. Why i have only 17? (I know itsnot because i would have given a favorite for some caches because there is 12 left and 17 in total)

Did you ever have a premium membership before, and then let it expire before you got a new premium membership recently? If so, that would likely explain what you are seeing.

I'm not understanding how that would affect things.

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=287

If I purchase a Premium Membership later, will I be awarded Favorite Points for the caches I found when I was a Basic Member?

Yes! If you upgrade to Premium Membership we will add up your past geocaching finds and award Favorite Points accordingly. From there you can visit the cache pages you found while still a Basic Member and "spend" the Favorite Points on the best ones.

I know that when I re-upped for PM after an absence, that our total cache finds counted for the number of favorite points.

B.

I know that when I re-upped for PM after an absence, that our total cache finds counted for the number of favorite points.

Did you find any caches during that period where you were a basic member? If not, then that would be why you didn't see any difference. If your PM lapses and you continue to log caches, those finds will not count toward favourite points, even if you later upgrade to PM again.

Did you find any caches during that period where you were a basic member? If not, then that would be why you didn't see any difference. If your PM lapses and you continue to log caches, those finds will not count toward favourite points, even if you later upgrade to PM again.

Yup, found lots of caches while a Basic Member.

B.

Did you ever have a premium membership before, and then let it expire before you got a new premium membership recently? If so, that would likely explain what you are seeing.

Well, actualy yes, I had PM for a month in June by registering a Garmin device,and now i got a one year PM. But that shouldn't affect my favorite points for basic founds.

Well, actualy yes, I had PM for a month in June by registering a Garmin device,and now i got a one year PM. But that shouldn't affect my favorite points for basic founds.

Sorry, but yes it does. You won't receive credit for caches found while your premium membership had lapsed.

The good news is, you'll continue to add new favorite points for caches you find in the future - so long as you keep your premium membership current.

Sorry, but yes it does. You won't receive credit for caches found while your premium membership had lapsed.

The good news is, you'll continue to add new favorite points for caches you find in the future - so long as you keep your premium membership current.

This contradicts what is listed on the Favorites page, pointed out in post #3 above. Is there a caveat that you only get the points the first time you become a premium member and any further lapses of membership aren't counted when you go premium again?

No, there is no contradiction, and yes, your "caveat" is stated correctly. The linked text from the favorites article in the Help Center was operative the first time when the OP became a premium member. (But not the second or subsequent renewals after a premium membership lapse.)

You don't need to be dismissive by quoting "caveat".

Perhaps the text that you used to make it clear what happens here should be placed on that page. This subject would have never came up if it was.

The linked text from the favorites article in the Help Center was operative the first time when the OP became a premium member. (But not the second or subsequent renewals after a premium membership lapse.)

Groundspeak should change the text to make it clear that they consider the text "Upgrade to Premium Membership" to mean the first time you purchase membership. Am I the only one who reasonably thinks that the text "Upgrade to Premium Membership" means any time you give Groundspeak $$ to change your status from Basic to Premium?

.. regards

Edited by fbingha

This is the "How do I?" forum. I provided a timely and accurate answer.

Fewer and fewer volunteers take the time to do this. I wonder why that is?

I'm guessing it's because the MODs love all the kindness and "thank you's" they get from everyone, and never have to put up with anysomething I probably shouldn't say here

(To the OP) Anyway if it's that big of a deal to you, you could always delete your old found it logs and re-log them now that you are a PM-be sure to back-date your logs to the correct date if possible.

(To the OP) Anyway if it's that big of a deal to you, you could always delete your old found it logs and re-log them now that you are a PM-be sure to back-date your logs to the correct date if possible.

This is bad advice. See my post #4. Only the first "found it" logged on a cache will count towards calculation of favorite points.