How to I set up a temporary cache to be associated with an event?

Heidee_Hunter

We have a non-profit that is holding thier 20th anniversary open house in a few months. The event is not dedicated to geocaching, but we would like to have a geocaching activity oraganized for that day on the site.

Since the event goes on regardless of geocaching, it sounds like what we want is not really an "event cache".

It's not really a commercial cache because we are not pushing our agenda, just providing a fun activity for folks that come.

So, the question is this... Can I set up somewhere between 2 and 4 caches on our ~5 acre "campus", and have them posted just for a day or so, aligned with our open house event and then removed?

Alternatively, could we have them be more premanent and just initially published on the day of our open house? (or the night before or whatever.)

Any tips or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Heidi

No, for the first option of having them listed for just a day. You could just print the coords on paper and give them to folks.

Yes, for the second. You could ask the reviewer to publish them on a specific date assuming they fit all the regular guidelines for caches.

Thank you... that is helpful. Would something like this be allowed:

1. we publish a single cache, on the day before the event, it will be permanent.

2. On the event day, the contents of that published cache container will give clues and coords for a few other caches on-site. When particpants solve all caches or puzzle then they get some sort of token or something.

3. After the event, we change the contents of the cache contatiner to be more generic and leave it in place as just a single stand-alone cache for the long term.

If something like that might be allowed, then the follow up question is: Could I, as the cache owner revise the on-line description from time to time? for example to mention the open house initially, and then to remove such references later?

Heidi

In addition to reading the "Cache Permanence" section of the listing guidelines, I commend to you the section about "Caches That Solicit." You cannot use a cache listing to promote your non-profit cause. If you start off with a generic description and later change it in a way that doesn't meet the listing guidelines, you may find your listing archived.

So, stick with a regular cache page and use off-site means for celebrating your event, like handouts for attendees.

In addition to reading the "Cache Permanence" section of the listing guidelines, I commend to you the section about "Caches That Solicit." You cannot use a cache listing to promote your non-profit cause. If you start off with a generic description and later change it in a way that doesn't meet the listing guidelines, you may find your listing archived.

So, stick with a regular cache page and use off-site means for celebrating your event, like handouts for attendees.

Understood. Thanks for the insight.