i need a gps

i am currrently 15 and despite the statistics i have both finds and hides. i am currently looking for a gps as i have never had one before.

i am looking for a dead on coordinates gps mainly for hiding better caches that's not that expensive as i am 15 with no job. i would be willing to look into any thing i can get so contact me if you have something you are willing to sell or just give to me. thanks!

i am currrently 15 and despite the statistics i have both finds and hides. i am currently looking for a gps as i have never had one before.

i am looking for a dead on coordinates gps mainly for hiding better caches that's not that expensive as i am 15 with no job. i would be willing to look into any thing i can get so contact me if you have something you are willing to sell or just give to me. thanks!

Save your money and get one of the apps for your phone.

Save your money and get one of the apps for your phone.

are you serious!!!! what?!! i don't even have an iphone. my dad's the one that has that. with the geocaching app on it already for 10 dollars.

you see he's the one that has the iphone i don't personally have one for me. but on that iphone i already have the app. but that's beside the point. i came here looking for a gps based on what other cachers have told me. yes i use google earth, ipod , ipad and iphone to obtain coordinates for hides. i have done that for all the past geocaches i have hidden. what i am looking for is a standard garmin gps because i was told by other cachers it was more accurate in obtaining coordinates for caches.

After the first of the year, let me dig around in my stuff and see if I still have an elderly GPSr that I'm not using. I think I have a Garmin GPSII+ someplace, and if so you can have it.

Merry Christmas :)

Handheld GPS units don't vary in accuracy as all the info comes from the same satellites. The antennas will help but it's not that big of a difference in geocaching. Remember you have no way of knowing if your GPSr is off or if the cache owners is off, or if someone put it in the wrong spot.

How much do you want to spend?? $100 you can get basic GPS units for that price(Garmin Etrex). $150-$200 GPS with the ability to download the cache description and hints and thousands of caches to the unit. I have a Magellan Explorist GC, paid less than $200 and it works great. I could go pay more for turn by turn routing, cameras, walkie talkies, the ability to download maps. But all in all the $100 GPS will be as accurate as the $300 one.

After the first of the year, let me dig around in my stuff and see if I still have an elderly GPSr that I'm not using. I think I have a Garmin GPSII+ someplace, and if so you can have it.

thank you so much! :D so your saying come the first of the year in january of 2013 you will try and find one and if you do you will give it to me? if so i guess i will email you sometime in january with my adress to ship it to? right? i guess if you don't or do find it you will email me when that happens right?

Handheld GPS units don't vary in accuracy as all the info comes from the same satellites. The antennas will help but it's not that big of a difference in geocaching. Remember you have no way of knowing if your GPSr is off or if the cache owners is off, or if someone put it in the wrong spot.

How much do you want to spend?? $100 you can get basic GPS units for that price(Garmin Etrex). $150-$200 GPS with the ability to download the cache description and hints and thousands of caches to the unit. I have a Magellan Explorist GC, paid less than $200 and it works great. I could go pay more for turn by turn routing, cameras, walkie talkies, the ability to download maps. But all in all the $100 GPS will be as accurate as the $300 one.

currently there is someone above that if he or she finds a gps he or she will give it to me. so i am waiting to see what's going to happen with that.

thank you so much! :D so your saying come the first of the year in january of 2013 you will try and find one and if you do you will give it to me? if so i guess i will email you sometime in january with my adress to ship it to? right? i guess if you don't or do find it you will email me when that happens right?

try saving up your own money. don't worry about buying geocoins. garmin's are cheap and i am not sure why you expect someone else to donate a GPS to you. you will appreciate it more if you earn it yourself.

Some people don't want to see ANYONE get a break.

If someone has an extra GPS (it appears they do) that isn't going to be used, what is the harm in sending it to this kid?

Anything lost? No.. it's gathering dust!

Anything gained? Maybe this kid will do the same for another down the road.

Jeesh.. tis the season.

Shaun

If someone has an extra GPS (it appears they do) that isn't going to be used, what is the harm in sending it to this kid?

Jeesh.. tis the season.

Shaun

in the geocoin forum this cacher inquired about how to pay cash for some geocoins he wanted a seller was listing on ebay.

my point is if he had money for geocoins he could at least offer some sort of payment for a gps that is not getting any use.

the reason i am leery of such begging requests is a few years ago there was an attractive (according to her profile) young woman that posted on the geocoin forum saying she sure liked geocoins but because of this and that she couldn't afford to buy any. several people, me included, were moved enough to ask for her address and sent her coins gratis. she never said thanks on the forum, nor responded to emails that asked if she received the coins. we never heard from her again. i have sent out free coins to people that might be looking for a specific coin but can't find one and maybe want to give it to their child for christmas. so i am not trying to be a grinch, i am just leery about requests for a fairly expensive item for free.

lara

Edited by RedShoesGirl

Jeesh.. tis the season.

Shaun

thanks for being in my defense! [:)]

Jeesh.. tis the season.

Shaun

in the geocoin forum this cacher inquired about how to pay cash for some geocoins he wanted a seller was listing on ebay.

my point is if he had money for geocoins he could at least offer some sort of payment for a gps that is not getting any use.

the reason i am leery of such begging requests is a few years ago there was an attractive (according to her profile) young woman that posted on the geocoin forum saying she sure liked geocoins but because of this and that she couldn't afford to buy any. several people, me included, were moved enough to ask for her address and sent her coins gratis. she never said thanks on the forum, nor responded to emails that asked if she received the coins. we never heard from her again. i have sent out free coins to people that might be looking for a specific coin but can't find one and maybe want to give it to their child for christmas. so i am not trying to be a grinch, i am just leery about requests for a fairly expensive item for free.

lara

that's unlike me though! as you can tell i did say thankyou in the post above.

2 i don't even know if he or she is going to find it. so it's still up in the air. that's beside's the point. i did say thankyou so much in the post above. and when or if he or she finds it and i give the adress to he or she and i receive it i will say thankyou again! good grief. i will say if i have received it or not. i doubt though anyone truly giving a christmas gift would actually ask for money. if so i don't think he or she would have said marry christmas.

don't make it more complicated then it sounds.