a new category

That category with that name is way too broad and subjective. Once reading your group description these locations are already covered in the ghost town category and the mine category. This is not criticism, it is a fact. Also it is best to create some waymarks in various categories prior to trying to create a category, this especially true for a young person like yourself. Creating a category requires a long term commitment.

Edited by BruceS

That category with that name is way too broad and subjective. Once reading your group description these locations are already covered in the ghost town category and the mine category. This is not criticism, it is a fact. Also it is best to create some waymarks in various categories prior to trying to create a category, this especially true for a young person like yourself. Creating a category requires a long term commitment.

that's not true. the mine category only includes mines and the ghost town only includes ghost towns. this is category name is broad for a reason. it will include all abandoned places and make it much easier for people to post a waymark for abandon places. for example say there is an abandoned fire hydrant, vehicle, or a single building. those categories would not include any of those things. because the name is a reflection of what they will allow. do you actually think if i posted a waypoint for an abandoned bus stop or fire hydrant, that it would actually publish in any category? that is why i have made this group to include everything that's abandoned. becaue i know there is many abandoned things places etc, that would not be publishable in any category at Waymarking right now.

that's not true. the mine category only includes mines and the ghost town only includes ghost towns. this is category name is broad for a reason. it will include all abandoned places and make it much easier for people to post a waymark for abandon places. for example say there is an abandoned fire hydrant, vehicle, or a single building. those categories would not include any of those things. because the name is a reflection of what they will allow. do you actually think if i posted a waypoint for an abandoned bus stop or fire hydrant, that it would actually publish in any category? that is why i have made this group to include everything that's abandoned. becaue i know there is many abandoned things places etc, that would not be publishable in any category at Waymarking right now.

Then my first statement is correct, your category is too broad and subjective. We have categories for ghost towns, dead vehicles, lonely chimneys, unoccupied buildings, shacks and cabins, and remains of settlements, homestead all of which would fit in your category. Did you know all those categories existed? There are probably other categories that would also fit within your category.

Do I think your abandoned fire hydrant or bus stop should be published would be a better question... I would say probably not though if that is the only thing around then it might fit in the remains of settlements category.

Edited by BruceS

Then my first statement is correct, your category is too broad and subjective. We have categories for ghost towns, dead vehicles, lonely chimneys, unoccupied buildings, shacks and cabins, and remains of settlements, homestead all of which would fit in your category. Did you know all those categories existed? There are probably other categories that would also fit within your category.

Do I think your abandoned fire hydrant or bus stop should be published would be a better question... I would say probably not though if that is the only thing around then it might fit in the remains of settlements category.

well thanks for the advice anyway. you know this is only a rogh draft i may be waiting a while for someone else to join. even if i get that far it might not even become a new category. but if it does i think it would replace other categorys and would help people add a waypoint easier without the trouble of deciding which category to post it in.

i do have a question? i had a waypoint that did not publish and have no where else to go. is there another category i can post it in that it might have a chance of publishing. the location is basically a place where there are some interesting rock/boulder formations. no it's not a state park there is no signs about it. it's just a small formation by a park in the middle of a field and a hill. so i don't know what to do to get it published. it's a really interesting location that i want people to see. in reality i am the only one that really knows about it that much. so i am just wondering if you can help me out with getting it published. it would be my first.

What makes a lonely chimney? Clearly I'm not a waymarker, and I'm curious.

well thanks for the advice anyway. you know this is only a rogh draft i may be waiting a while for someone else to join. even if i get that far it might not even become a new category. but if it does i think it would replace other categorys and would help people add a waypoint easier without the trouble of deciding which category to post it in.

i do have a question? i had a waypoint that did not publish and have no where else to go. is there another category i can post it in that it might have a chance of publishing. the location is basically a place where there are some interesting rock/boulder formations. no it's not a state park there is no signs about it. it's just a small formation by a park in the middle of a field and a hill. so i don't know what to do to get it published. it's a really interesting location that i want people to see. in reality i am the only one that really knows about it that much. so i am just wondering if you can help me out with getting it published. it would be my first.

Addressing your first paragraph, a new category does not replace old categories. The old categories take precedence over the new one. A new category can not duplicated other categories or just be a collection of other categories. There can be overlap but not broad categories that encompass complete other categories. (there are some old exceptions but not likely to happen now).

Now on to your rock formation, it may fit into Places of Geologic Significance. You want to find out more about the formation, how it got there etc. There are a few other categories such as Nature's Balanced Rocks which are specific types of formations.

In short a lonely chimney is one that is still standing but its associated building is not. The category description describes what they are and two hundred plus waymarks in the category are good examples of them from around the world. Lonely Chimneys

In short a lonely chimney is one that is still standing but its associated building is not. The category description describes what they are and two hundred plus waymarks in the category are good examples of them from around the world. Lonely Chimneys

Ohhh, that makes sense.

Addressing your first paragraph, a new category does not replace old categories. The old categories take precedence over the new one. A new category can not duplicated other categories or just be a collection of other categories. There can be overlap but not broad categories that encompass complete other categories. (there are some old exceptions but not likely to happen now).

Now on to your rock formation, it may fit into Places of Geologic Significance. You want to find out more about the formation, how it got there etc. There are a few other categories such as Nature's Balanced Rocks which are specific types of formations.

and there in is my problem. i have no idea what the formation is because it is so unique. but i do know many people will enjoy. i think there are different formations here. but the main one with the big boulders is what i beleive to be something of volcanic. i don't know. i guess sometime i will have to submit some pictures to you or here or somewhere to see if you would know what the formation is. though i am not familar with how to get pictures to show up using html.

in Waymarking there are at least 1000 categories. each category being organized by a specific person called the leader. usually they make a name for the group that reflects what that category or group wants to be published. specific for there category. for instance that name lonely chimneys means that they want people to submit waymarks that have to do with chimneys that are lonely. probably not like the chimneys on houses but like charcoal chimneys that are used for mining and melting with fire. basically the game is to get waymarkers to visit unique locations that are not well known or lonely.

Found after a half-mile hike in the woods, and after telling my daughter (eight years old at the time) that the mountain lion pawprints were "from a very big kitty who likes to play in the snow."

9f75a679-3b52-4faf-a0bd-54ea4e6613c3.jpg

clearly an interesting find here. i was thinking that chimneys or lonely chimneys have to do with like charcoal chimneys that are used for mining and melting with fire. that sort of look like a behive with a hole for a vent at the top.

i would suggest going to Waymarking.com for more details

that's interesting but can't they include charcoal chimneys that were once used for mining and melting ores?

that reminds me. one time i found a brick like structure while camping in utah in wasatch canyons. i found it because of a geocache. it was a really interesting place it was in ruins but the foundation still was intact. it had some bricks and was really small. with some debrees or garbage on top. but it was really small and i wonder what it used to be? i bet there's no waymark there. and if so what would i post that under. i did not see any trace of a chimney though just a foundation.

Hi, Chris.

I appreciate your questions about categories. All of us occasionally scratch our head trying to figure out how best to waymark an interesting site. We certainly have a better chance of solving these questions than we did a few years ago as the number of categories has grown to well over 1,000 now.

Therein lies part of the problem. No one sat down and just created a thousand categories and organized them into a logical structure. After the initial experimental categories were created, they began to be developed one-by-one as people expressed an interest in a particular type of site. The result is an inconsistent conglomeration of categories and groupings. Some categories are very narrow in focus while others a quite broad; some have various geographical restrictions while others are truly global; some are very concrete and specific while others are broadly subjective. In many cases there are categories that overlap to one degree or another.

All of this means that it may take some digging to find the best category for any given object or site. Sometimes it can go in the side door, so to speak, of another category. And, sometimes, even with all of that, the answer may be that there just isn't a category that is a good fit. This may lead one to create a new category, or it may lead us to sigh and realize that not everything that is interesting can be waymarked or needs to be waymarked.

In the case of your idea about abandoned places and things, it is true that this idea is too broad, lumping together many dissimilar things. As BruceS has pointed out, there are already many more specific categories for many of these items. In general, a good category will have a clearly defined, objective focus. Sure we have some examples of bad categories, like "Cemeteries of the World," that are overly-broad, but that doesn't mean that they are examples to follow. Also, remember that each new category must go through the peer review process. Sentiments about new categories have changed over time, and I think the present climate would not favor such a broad category.

In the case of your rock formation, there might be a category that would work, but perhaps not. The best thing would be to post a picture and description of it on the forum and ask for ideas. Someone might be able to suggest something. The is done from time-to-time and we have a very helpful community of waymarkers.

Finally, my best advice is to take some time to explore the Waymarking.com categories and the structure. It is a gangly sort of thing, but you can begin to get a feel for what is here. Then take a good look at some of the categories that interest you. See how they are written and what kinds of waymarks are included. Just keep in mind that some categories and some waymarks are better than others. Then, if you still have a new category idea, write it up as best you can and post it here for comments before trying to form a group. This process will get you the best results.

Above all, keep visiting waymarks, creating your own waymarks and submitting them, and learning as much as you can.

All the best,

Larry

and there in is my problem. i have no idea what the formation is because it is so unique. but i do know many people will enjoy. i think there are different formations here. but the main one with the big boulders is what i beleive to be something of volcanic. i don't know. i guess sometime i will have to submit some pictures to you or here or somewhere to see if you would know what the formation is. though i am not familar with how to get pictures to show up using html.

you are going to have to do some homework. first find out who owns or manages the land. if it is the blm then their geologists will know what the formation is. find the closest blm office. they can even tell you if it is their land or not.

take coordinates, take detailed photos, talk with the science teacher at your school or junior college - show them the photos. the science teacher is a good place to start as she/he can help you go further in your research and maybe will know a geologist you can talk to.

don't assume because you think a particular rock formation is interesting it will be to others. there are a LOT of interesting rock formations in the western deserts.

do the research.

lara

Edited by RedShoesGirl

that reminds me. one time i found a brick like structure while camping in utah in wasatch canyons. i found it because of a geocache. it was a really interesting place it was in ruins but the foundation still was intact. it had some bricks and was really small. with some debrees or garbage on top. but it was really small and i wonder what it used to be? i bet there's no waymark there. and if so what would i post that under. i did not see any trace of a chimney though just a foundation.

Check out Remains of Settlements that might be just what you are looking for.

Hi, Chris.

I appreciate your questions about categories. All of us occasionally scratch our head trying to figure out how best to waymark an interesting site. We certainly have a better chance of solving these questions than we did a few years ago as the number of categories has grown to well over 1,000 now.

Therein lies part of the problem. No one sat down and just created a thousand categories and organized them into a logical structure. After the initial experimental categories were created, they began to be developed one-by-one as people expressed an interest in a particular type of site. The result is an inconsistent conglomeration of categories and groupings. Some categories are very narrow in focus while others a quite broad; some have various geographical restrictions while others are truly global; some are very concrete and specific while others are broadly subjective. In many cases there are categories that overlap to one degree or another.

All of this means that it may take some digging to find the best category for any given object or site. Sometimes it can go in the side door, so to speak, of another category. And, sometimes, even with all of that, the answer may be that there just isn't a category that is a good fit. This may lead one to create a new category, or it may lead us to sigh and realize that not everything that is interesting can be waymarked or needs to be waymarked.

In the case of your idea about abandoned places and things, it is true that this idea is too broad, lumping together many dissimilar things. As BruceS has pointed out, there are already many more specific categories for many of these items. In general, a good category will have a clearly defined, objective focus. Sure we have some examples of bad categories, like "Cemeteries of the World," that are overly-broad, but that doesn't mean that they are examples to follow. Also, remember that each new category must go through the peer review process. Sentiments about new categories have changed over time, and I think the present climate would not favor such a broad category.

In the case of your rock formation, there might be a category that would work, but perhaps not. The best thing would be to post a picture and description of it on the forum and ask for ideas. Someone might be able to suggest something. The is done from time-to-time and we have a very helpful community of waymarkers.

Finally, my best advice is to take some time to explore the Waymarking.com categories and the structure. It is a gangly sort of thing, but you can begin to get a feel for what is here. Then take a good look at some of the categories that interest you. See how they are written and what kinds of waymarks are included. Just keep in mind that some categories and some waymarks are better than others. Then, if you still have a new category idea, write it up as best you can and post it here for comments before trying to form a group. This process will get you the best results.

Above all, keep visiting waymarks, creating your own waymarks and submitting them, and learning as much as you can.

All the best,

Larry

Thanks so much for your advice!

you are going to have to do some homework. first find out who owns or manages the land. if it is the blm then their geologists will know what the formation is. find the closest blm office. they can even tell you if it is their land or not.

take coordinates, take detailed photos, talk with the science teacher at your school or junior college - show them the photos. the science teacher is a good place to start as she/he can help you go further in your research and maybe will know a geologist you can talk to.

don't assume because you think a particular rock formation is interesting it will be to others. there are a LOT of interesting rock formations in the western deserts.

do the research.

lara

Thanks for your advice. A while ago the county bought the land for a near by park. The rock formations will likely will be gone in a few years or more after they start construction to expand the park. It's still a ways away from them digging up the area. But in the mean time I might preserve some of the formations from construction. By maybe taking some rocks or digging some rocks up that are half buried and half on the surface. I just don't know. But I do know it will be destroyed in at least 2 years maybe more and I want to preserve as much as I can.

Hi, Chris.

All the best,

Larry

I might just do what you said and take some pictures of it and ask my teachers at school. That's a good idea!

Check out Remains of Settlements that might be just what you are looking for.

Thanks for the link and the category. I think that's probably just what I need. Thanks!