Dumb question....need to figure out how to locate geocaches in Belize

onebravegirl

I am a mom to two girls and we are traveling to the jungles of Belize and spending some time on a couple of cayes. I would like to geocache while I am down there. I have always used my android samsung galaxy to find and locate geocaches. I don't have a hand held gps (should I get one?). I am turning my data and cell plan off to avoid the international charges and I would like to map out the locations prior to getting there in case gps does not work. I can't figure out how to do it. When looking for caches near the location of the hotel where we are staying... I put in the gps coordinates from google maps (for the location in Belize) I get an upstate NY location instead. So that is confusing eh?

Basically, I would like to do some planning in advance so that when we get there - if we have technical difficulties- we will still be able to geocache. I don't want to disappoint the kids.

How can I go about planning this in advance? Thanks everyone!

Edited by onebravegirl

I am a mom to two girls and we are traveling to the jungles of Belize and spending some time on a couple of cayes. I would like to geocache while I am down there. I have always used my android samsung galaxy to find and locate geocaches. I don't have a hand held gps (should I get one?). I am turning my data and cell plan off to avoid the international charges and I would like to map out the locations prior to getting there in case gps does not work. I can't figure out how to do it. When looking for caches near the location of the hotel where we are staying... I put in the gps coordinates from google maps (for the location in Belize) I get an upstate NY location instead. So that is confusing eh?

Basically, I would like to do some planning in advance so that when we get there - if we have technical difficulties- we will still be able to geocache. I don't want to disappoint the kids.

There's only 3 pages of caches for the whole country:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?country_id=31&as=1&ex=0&cFilter=9a79e6ce-3344-409c-bbe9-496530baf758&children=n

You could pick and choose which caches you would want to search out, and create a Notepad file of just those caches.

That's what I do when we plan to go caching. I make up a Notepad file that includes the important info for each cache: GC code, coordinates, anything pertinent/useful from the cache description and the decrypted hint.

I don't know about caching with a phone, but I assume you must be able to download coordinates to it.

B.

Go to the Geocaching home page, then under Play, in the Seek a Cache section, by country select Belize. There are currently 54 caches in the country. Choose Map this Location and you can see where they are.

I'd strongly suggest you get a handheld GPSr. Maybe one of your local cachers has a spare they'd be willing to lend to you for the trip.

Depending on which geocaching app you're using you might also be able to store information for geocaches, making their information accessible even when you're offline. I did that in the past (before I got a GPSr) when I knew I'd be geocaching in areas without cell reception- I'd bring them up on phone at home, store their information/location, and then still use my phone to find them without reception.

When geocaching in the Jungle, a handheld would be a good idea. Most smartphones do not have a sencitive GPSr. Once you are in tree cover, you will likely have some difficulty.

If you really want to use the phone, get an app that will cache the maps data. On my Android, I use NeonGeo. It saves the map 'tiles'. This would allow you to find the cache detials, and view the maps while in wifi coverage, then use that data later when in the jungle. You need to insure that the map caching option is selected. Then make sure to give it a trial run before heading out to the jungle. You really need to insure that all the bugs are worked out before hand.

PS, if using your phone in the jungle, I would recomend getting a more sensitive bluetooth GPS 'mouse' ( I use the Qstarz BT-818X). Then use one of the third party bluetooth GPS interface apps so that the geocaching app can use the GPS data from the mouse.