Photos when logging cache?

lukedrywalker

What happened to the add photo when logging a cache?

How are you logging the cache? With a phone, or on the computer?

Once you have logged the find or DNF, there are links at the bottom of your log: View/Edit Log/Images Upload Image

To upload an image, click on "Upload Image".

Help Center → Geocaching → Caches in General

3.5. Images in Cache Logs

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=65

B.

Groundspeak, this is another usability wart. Look at the angst you've caused because you're relying on icons without text. (Tooltips don't count; you have to know the right place and move the mouse there to see the text; I'm talking about always-displayed text.)

I'm referring to the View Geocache Log page you see after entering your log. There are three text-less icons. There's room for text. Why isnt there any?

This tripped me up too. Multiply by the millions of people who use this site, and it adds up.

Don't leave usability design up to the software developers. Trust me, we're not good at it.

PS: It looks like your Help Center isn't keeping up with various usability improvements changes.

Edited by Viajero Perdido

Groundspeak, this is another usability wart. Look at the angst you've caused because you're relying on icons without text. (Tooltips don't count; you have to know the right place and move the mouse there to see the text; I'm talking about always-displayed text.)

I'm referring to the View Geocache Log page you see after entering your log. There are three text-less icons. There's room for text. Why isnt there any?

This tripped me up too. Multiply by the millions of people who use this site, and it adds up.

Don't leave usability design up to the software developers. Trust me, we're not good at it.

PS: It looks like your Help Center isn't keeping up with various usability improvements changes.

+1, Icons without the text are a lot of extra trouble for everyone who doesn't already know what the icons represent.

They removed the text some time ago, then after most everyone learned what the icons looked like, they went and changed the icons. I don't understand it either.

They removed the text some time ago, then after most everyone learned what the icons looked like, they went and changed the icons. I don't understand it either.

Yup. It was a pencil for "edit", a red x for "delete" and a photo frame for "upload image". The meanings of those could be gleaned by hovering over them.

From the number of times that questions about them were raised in the forums, I would say that text-less icons are definitely NOT user-friendly or intuitive.

B.

Yup. It was a pencil for "edit", a red x for "delete" and a photo frame for "upload image". The meanings of those could be gleaned by hovering over them.

From the number of times that questions about them were raised in the forums, I would say that text-less icons are definitely NOT user-friendly or intuitive.

B.

For me by far the most annoying thing about photos now is how the cache pages don't have a photo gallery anymore. Why on Earth wreck something that was so good and useful? :mad: I've instinctively gone up several times to the top of a cache page wanting to check out the image gallery, then get very mad when I remember I can't.

(Not just to check out an area a cache is in, mind- I maintain the Victoria Falls earthcache, for example, and one of the cool things there was to check out the image gallery and see how the waterfall changed from rainy to dry season. I'm not going to sort through months of logs to see the same effect now.)

For me by far the most annoying thing about photos now is how the cache pages don't have a photo gallery anymore. Why on Earth wreck something that was so good and useful? :mad: I've instinctively gone up several times to the top of a cache page wanting to check out the image gallery, then get very mad when I remember I can't.

(Not just to check out an area a cache is in, mind- I maintain the Victoria Falls earthcache, for example, and one of the cool things there was to check out the image gallery and see how the waterfall changed from rainy to dry season. I'm not going to sort through months of logs to see the same effect now.)

:unsure: I still see the gallary link on all the caches pages.

It's right there above the logs where it's always been.

8 Logged Visits

Decrypt

6 1 1

View Logbook | View the Image Gallery of 6 images

???? :blink:

B.

The Galleries are still there on the cache pages that have them. It's just the link in the top right corner that is gone.

There is still a link to a cache's Gallery, it's just above the logs. You don't need to scroll through months of logs to see the images that have been uploaded.

Look at this cache page, for example:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=27e63e69-e568-4ff5-8d79-ade6b2bc29c1

63 Logged Visits

Found it 59 Didn't find it 1 Write note 1 Publish Listing 1 Update Coordinates 1

View Logbook | View the Image Gallery of 2 images

B.

Just to point out something neato, I learned the other day that, when logging caches on my phone's browser, I was able to directly upload photos taken with my phone's camera. Must have come with an upgrade to the Android OS, because I wasn't able to do that with my old phone.

Just to point out something neato, I learned the other day that, when logging caches on my phone's browser, I was able to directly upload photos taken with my phone's camera. Must have come with an upgrade to the Android OS, because I wasn't able to do that with my old phone.

I'll also add that with iOS 6, Apple users can now upload images through Safari. Now you can either browse for an existing image or capture a new picture at that time. Previously, you couldn't choose an image, so you couldn't upload images while logging through Safari.

:unsure: I still see the gallary link on all the caches pages.

It's right there above the logs where it's always been.

8 Logged Visits

Decrypt

6 1 1

View Logbook | View the Image Gallery of 6 images

???? :blink:

Please, we already have a thread where we are arguing about this. There used to be two links on the page, one in the top right navigation area, (where it belongs), and one above the logs. They removed the one at the top. Countless people have posted here with the idea that the gallery has been completely removed because the link that they have been using for years, is not there anymore.

I used that link for the same purpose, to quickly see if new images have been posted to my caches.