Downloading Offline Maps

ryanr69

Before I go out on a long trek, I usually print out a satillite map of the general area I am going to cover, as well as some zoomed in shots of particular areas, leaving me with a handful of paper to lug around.

What I would like to do is somehow get a very high resolution screenshot of the area (like 10kx10k) converting it to a jpeg and sending it to my tablet. Then I can see where I am in the big scheme of things as well as zoom in and get a high resolution view of a general area.

Is this possible? I usually carry a non-broadband tablet with me (for books) and would really like to cut down on paper.

Basically what I am looking for is an offline high res map reader but how do i get the high res data with the cache points on it?

I don't know if this would work, or the capabilities of your tablet, but here is what this sounds like to me. It won't have the zoom and pan capabilities, but it might be enough.

Use the geocaching.com maps to get a satellite view of your target area, zoomed in the way you like. Then use your computers screen capture (ALT-PrintScreen) to capture that screen.

Use an image program like Paint and drop that image in (paste, or Ctrl-V), and save it as a .jpg (or other extension of choice).

Repeat for the number of maps, zoom levels, that you like.

Transfer your .jpg files to your tablet. Now you have offline maps on your device to browse in the field.

You could also save the .html files for page listings, and you could keep them on your tablet as well.