Cache Maintenance Day?

Maconb

Do you think that there should be some kind of cache maintenance day for owners to go check there caches. Some kind of incentive that would encourage slack owners to check their caches. I know there are a lot of inactive owners who have caches that are still being found so that could be an issue. But nothing burns me up more than seeing active cachers that are logging finds like crazy and don't maintain there own. What do the masses think or the owners of a cache logging a note at least once a year on their cache listing? Maybe not being able to place a new cache if a certain percentage of caches "need maintenance." I don't mind changing wet log sheets, even nanos that make my fingers ache when I'm rolling them up. But I get tired of trying to plan a little trip on a short time frame and seeing a slue of DNF's and need maintenance wherever I look. Maybe I'm just venting but if you care enough about the sport to take the time to put out a cache and to look for other peoples caches shouldn't you at least take care of the ones that you have for the other people who enjoy the sport. This has more than likely been posted a gabillion times but still.

Do you think that there should be some kind of cache maintenance day for owners to go check there caches. Some kind of incentive that would encourage slack owners to check their caches.

No. Or probably not.

You'll find actual posts around here by Cache Owners who are so insistent that they must "control" their caches, the very suggestion of "maintenance" will cause them to take their ball and leave. I'm not sure they weren't on their way out of Geocaching anyway, but we try not to agitate them.

If you have a prize for the most deteriorated cache, that could make things worse. Okay, even if it's "the most deteriorated cache that the CO went and fixed".

Maintenance is great. Finding ways to cause that, is tough. [EDIT: why not go ahead designate a "Cache Maintenance Day" anyway, with a list of things? If it works, more power to ya.]

Edited by kunarion

If a CO isn't maintaining their caches during the year a special day isn't going to make any difference. Personally, I will do small maintenance where I can short of actually replacing a container(add a log sheet, replace a torn Zlock, dry out a sound but wet container). I figure that' part of the game. I'd hate to chastise a negligent CO only to find out later there was a life event that prevented them from attending to their cache. If I'm there and I have the tools, I'm glad to help out.

This issue comes up periodically, and when it does I do a quick look see for the OP's hide history and in this instance I can only say, do not be too quick to criticize. You have been in the hide game for 3 months. Take it slowly and kindly. No hiders = no finders. Recent events locally have caused some of our most prolific hiders to say enough is enough and stop hiding, some of which was due to criticism that was really unwarranted. I have a rule that says you don't get to criticize anyone with more hides than you. :)

I have a rule that says you don't get to criticize anyone with more hides than you. :)

Ooh, I was so close to agreeing with you, right up until that last line. One fundamental problem with cache maintenance is having people hide way more caches than they can deal with. :anibad: Besides, if I could only criticize people with fewer hides than me, I wouldn't get much opportunity, now would I?

Doesn't GC send out a newsletter Maintenance message in spring time? I think they did last year.

I use the NM and NAs when warranted, which can be quite liberal at times. December - posted 2 Needs Archive, and 1 Needs Maintenance. November - 1 NA, 3 NMs.

I may help a CO with small maintenance issues (wipe down the cache container, remove dirt, debris and junk, put in a piece of paper to tide the cache over until the CO can get there, duct tape a crack) if the CO has a reputation for placing quality caches and maintaining them. I will not add paper to containers that are poor quality and leaky, or where it appears the CO has abandoned the cache.

I have a rule that says you don't get to criticize anyone with more hides than you. :)

Ooh, I was so close to agreeing with you, right up until that last line. One fundamental problem with cache maintenance is having people hide way more caches than they can deal with. :anibad: Besides, if I could only criticize people with fewer hides than me, I wouldn't get much opportunity, now would I?

Funny how that works. The older I get the more I realize how human I have been, warts, faults, mistakes, misteps , failings and that causes me to not be as critical as I was way back when I was in my 20s and had all the answers. I think the approach of helping out is a good one. Personally, if my caches need maint, I try and go pick them up entirely , archive them and place a new one somewhere else, keeps the number crunchers happy and if they are happy they don't complain about me as much. :)

I have over a hundred caches out there and they all recieve maintainance twice a year at least. They range from 1/1 to 5/5. If there is a problem with a cache they will get a visit withing a week or two no matter what. If and when I can not maintain them to that standard I will quit hiding them. I do this not because I have to but beacause that's what I want to do.

COs that don't maintain their caches don't do it because, that's what they want to do. How is a special day going to fix that?

This issue comes up periodically, and when it does I do a quick look see for the OP's hide history and in this instance I can only say, do not be too quick to criticize. You have been in the hide game for 3 months. Take it slowly and kindly. No hiders = no finders. Recent events locally have caused some of our most prolific hiders to say enough is enough and stop hiding, some of which was due to criticism that was really unwarranted. I have a rule that says you don't get to criticize anyone with more hides than you. :)

So I'm free to run you down just because my number is bigger? :unsure:

:rolleyes:

I would protest that sentiment in defence of Packanack, but you have more hides than me, so I'll sit quietly and observe. :)

I never would but I think the post made my point.

I think that is ridiculous. Yes I've been doing this for three months but I have done a lot in my three months. Changed out at least 20 log sheets but I digress. I don't want to criticize anybody. I would like for people to do what is expected of them. Take care of what you put out. Its like anything else you do. If you are gonna do a poor job at it then why do it?

I think that is ridiculous. Yes I've been doing this for three months but I have done a lot in my three months. Changed out at least 20 log sheets but I digress. I don't want to criticize anybody. I would like for people to do what is expected of them. Take care of what you put out. Its like anything else you do. If you are gonna do a poor job at it then why do it?

That is the whole point right there.

Those that don't do it, won't do it.

That's why we have the NM and NA logs.

That is the whole point right there.

Those that don't do it, won't do it.

That's why we have the NM and NA logs.

Yeah I like the NM and NA. I hate putting an NA just because I am new at this and don't want to rub people the wrong way (but I don't mind trying to get an opinion on it in a forum lol) That is the whole point of it though if you don't you won't like you said.

Changed out at least 20 log sheets but I digress. I don't want to criticize anybody. I would like for people to do what is expected of them. Take care of what you put out.

I looked through your last several logs and found that a lot of the times when you replaced the log sheet were on caches that had few, if any, previous reports of a problem. As far as I can tell, none of them had a Needs Maintenance flag posted to it when you replaced the log sheet. Some of them neglect the cache after repeatedly being told that there's a problem, but if you're the first person to mention it, then you haven't really given the owner much chance to do anything about it.

On one of those caches, even, you might have replaced a missing log sheet on the wrong container, based on previous logs. There was mention of an empty container and one with a log sheet, though that post was hard to read. Yours was still the first clear mention of a problem.

You never posted a Needs Maintenance on any of them (the ones that I saw), which is really the most you are expected to do.

Edited by nonaeroterraqueous

replacing a wet log sheet isn't that big of a deal. I know some people have a problem doing that but that's just being courteous in my opinion. I don't have a problem with that. Here is an example. When there is a cache that has several DNF's in a row on a 1.5/1.5 and you know it is on a bridge that was replaced a year and a half ago. Can you please go check this out while you are logging a find 5 miles away. Geocaching is not a pyramid scheme. You put out caches for others to find. You look for caches that others have put out. Its not like you have no idea that your cache is missing or in disrepair.

replacing a wet log sheet isn't that big of a deal. I know some people have a problem doing that but that's just being courteous in my opinion. I don't have a problem with that. Here is an example. When there is a cache that has several DNF's in a row on a 1.5/1.5 and you know it is on a bridge that was replaced a year and a half ago. Can you please go check this out while you are logging a find 5 miles away. Geocaching is not a pyramid scheme. You put out caches for others to find. You look for caches that others have put out. Its not like you have no idea that your cache is missing or in disrepair.

Ummm, Needs Archived?

I have to agree. In some areas cache maintenance is a big problem.

I hate it when I go to a new area, all excited about the freedom of finding any cache I want, then I start finding them and every one of them is missing.

I just started caching in a new area recently. None have been found in a few months. I've found a few, but have about a 50% DNF rate. One of the few I've found is one that no one else was able to find and it was disabled by the reviewer because the owner is missing.

It's frustrating to find a pocket like this, but I've seen it before.

There seem to be areas of well-maintained caches, and pockets that are being ignored.

But there doesn't seem to be much to do about them except complain here, so we might as well get it out of our systems.

Post DNF's, Needs maintenance's, and Needs Archiving. That's about it.

One day for maintenance wouldn't work for those with 200 caches spread across a wide area. Even a few caches spread across a wide area. Heck, if you pick one day a great deal of the people will be out of town or working.

I have to agree. In some areas cache maintenance is a big problem.

I hate it when I go to a new area, all excited about the freedom of finding any cache I want, then I start finding them and every one of them is missing.

I just started caching in a new area recently. None have been found in a few months. I've found a few, but have about a 50% DNF rate. One of the few I've found is one that no one else was able to find and it was disabled by the reviewer because the owner is missing.

It's frustrating to find a pocket like this, but I've seen it before.

There seem to be areas of well-maintained caches, and pockets that are being ignored.

But there doesn't seem to be much to do about them except complain here, so we might as well get it out of our systems.

Post DNF's, Needs maintenance's, and Needs Archiving. That's about it.

One day for maintenance wouldn't work for those with 200 caches spread across a wide area. Even a few caches spread across a wide area. Heck, if you pick one day a great deal of the people will be out of town or working.

yeah that was basically what I was doing... feels good to vent sometimes :)

Ummm, Needs Archived?

Yeah thats what I need to do more of. Just got ill trying to find a place to cache tomorrow and seeing all the dnf/need maintenance on a lot of the caches in that area. Just seems harsh to put a Needs Archive on an active cachers cache but not as harsh as buying the gas to go find it.

Changed out at least 20 log sheets but I digress. I don't want to criticize anybody. I would like for people to do what is expected of them. Take care of what you put out.

I looked through your last several logs and found that a lot of the times when you replaced the log sheet were on caches that had few, if any, previous reports of a problem. As far as I can tell, none of them had a Needs Maintenance flag posted to it when you replaced the log sheet. Some of them neglect the cache after repeatedly being told that there's a problem, but if you're the first person to mention it, then you haven't really given the owner much chance to do anything about it.

On one of those caches, even, you might have replaced a missing log sheet on the wrong container, based on previous logs. There was mention of an empty container and one with a log sheet, though that post was hard to read. Yours was still the first clear mention of a problem.

You never posted a Needs Maintenance on any of them (the ones that I saw), which is really the most you are expected to do.

That's an important point. Finders need to report the condition of the cache in their online log. If the log is full or almost full, let the CO know. Some COs will assume everything's OK until there's a report in the logs.

Nah its not the wet log sheets that bother me just the lack of concern for the caches you own. However I do see the point in putting a note with the log saying that the log is wet so the owner can see how frequent the log gets messed up. But its more of a missing cache issue than a wet log sheet

Edited by Maconb

How about an international quit maintaining caches for missing owners and make it year-long event? Every Year.

Ha, I love using my imagination.

I fully support the idea of encouraging folks to maintain their cache but I find it works best at the local level. "October is maintain your cache month" No pressure, no online rewards, just a fun drive.

Rallying the community won't get rid of abandoned or poorly maintained caches. That requires the involvement of Groundspeak. (Except that part I said about not maintaining caches for missing owners).

If you want to get rid of carp caches, rally the folks to ask Groundspeak to be more aggressive in their timelines to archive caches.

I would protest that sentiment in defence of Packanack, but you have more hides than me, so I'll sit quietly and observe. :)

I have more hides than all three of you. Geocache maintenance day should be strictly observed on Feb 30. National Archive day is April 1st.

I have more hides than all three of you. Geocache maintenance day should be strictly observed on Feb 30. National Archive day is April 1st.

Dang! I should go hide some more so I can promote myself.

Until then, Yes oh high master of hide.

:laughing:

Beginners tend to have a different time frame than someone who has been around. After all you've found a new activity that you're having a lot of fun doing and there are so many caches out there that sometimes you just want to go out and find them all.

So of course it seems that if a cache needs some kind of maintenance that it should be taken care of in your time frame. If you've only been caching 3 months, then 1 or 2 months to fix a problem seems like an eternity.

After you cache for a while you find, some cache owners are almost obsessive maintaining their caches, checking on them every week or so and responding to DNFs and reports of maintenance within days. But most are a bit more laid back. They'll check on things whenever they get around to. Many are busy people and running out to fix geocaches is not their number one priority. Sometimes someone's personal situation changes. When they hid the cache they thought they could respond withing days or weeks to every problem, but family, or work, or illness has cut into the time they have for this and the caching take a back seat to more important matters. Cache owners also discover that a DNF doesn't always mean their cache is missing, just that someone had trouble finding it. And many learn that minor maintenance sometimes isn't necessary at all. Wet logs dry out, full logs get replaced, even broken containers arr replaced by finders.

There are, of course, some people who place caches and then leave the game. They've abandoned the cache and won't do any maintenance. Sometime these caches live on for a long time, with community taking of minor problems. When they get to the point that the cache really needs the owner to take care of something, its often best just to get the cache archived.

Another thing that tends to comes with time, is losing the expectation that you are going to find every cache you look for. If you learn not to think the cache owner has some obligation to make sure you can find their cache, you might look for caches that have one or two recent DNFs and sometimes find the cache is there and the others just missed it. You'll also not fret to much when you do look and either don't find the cache or find something that really needs maintenance. The best thing is to look at each cache hunt as an experience. If you don't find the cache or even if you find a cache that is full of water and are unable to sign the log you still went geocaching.

Beginners tend to have a different time frame than someone who has been around. After all you've found a new activity that you're having a lot of fun doing and there are so many caches out there that sometimes you just want to go out and find them all.

So of course it seems that if a cache needs some kind of maintenance that it should be taken care of in your time frame. If you've only been caching 3 months, then 1 or 2 months to fix a problem seems like an eternity.

After you cache for a while you find, some cache owners are almost obsessive maintaining their caches, checking on them every week or so and responding to DNFs and reports of maintenance within days. But most are a bit more laid back. They'll check on things whenever they get around to. Many are busy people and running out to fix geocaches is not their number one priority. Sometimes someone's personal situation changes. When they hid the cache they thought they could respond withing days or weeks to every problem, but family, or work, or illness has cut into the time they have for this and the caching take a back seat to more important matters. Cache owners also discover that a DNF doesn't always mean their cache is missing, just that someone had trouble finding it. And many learn that minor maintenance sometimes isn't necessary at all. Wet logs dry out, full logs get replaced, even broken containers arr replaced by finders.

There are, of course, some people who place caches and then leave the game. They've abandoned the cache and won't do any maintenance. Sometime these caches live on for a long time, with community taking of minor problems. When they get to the point that the cache really needs the owner to take care of something, its often best just to get the cache archived.

Another thing that tends to comes with time, is losing the expectation that you are going to find every cache you look for. If you learn not to think the cache owner has some obligation to make sure you can find their cache, you might look for caches that have one or two recent DNFs and sometimes find the cache is there and the others just missed it. You'll also not fret to much when you do look and either don't find the cache or find something that really needs maintenance. The best thing is to look at each cache hunt as an experience. If you don't find the cache or even if you find a cache that is full of water and are unable to sign the log you still went geocaching.

So in other words there should be some sort of realistic time period that when you are busy with life your unmaintained cache needs to go.

So in other words there should be some sort of realistic time period that when you are busy with life your unmaintained cache needs to go.

Ultimately I agree that there are maintenance requirements in the cache placement guidelines and that if the owner continually fails to do maintenance the cache can be archived.

However I'm not sure that there should be a specific time period. One can take into account the issue that the maintenance has to deal with, the remoteness of the cache, the personal situation of the cache owner, etc.

I'm very patient as far as caches getting fixed. I hardly notice disabled caches as I don't load these into my GPS, but unlike some others I don't eliminate caches with DNF or needs maintenance logs. If I DNF a cache or find one not in the best condition, I just see this as part of caching. When I find something destroyed and contents scattered about I'll pick up the trash and post a Needs Maintenance. I'll also watch this cache and if I see that others are looking for it and the owner hasn't disabled it or done any maintenance, then I'll post needs archive.

Ultimately I agree that there are maintenance requirements in the cache placement guidelines and that if the owner continually fails to do maintenance the cache can be archived.

However I'm not sure that there should be a specific time period. One can take into account the issue that the maintenance has to deal with, the remoteness of the cache, the personal situation of the cache owner, etc.

I'm very patient as far as caches getting fixed. I hardly notice disabled caches as I don't load these into my GPS, but unlike some others I don't eliminate caches with DNF or needs maintenance logs. If I DNF a cache or find one not in the best condition, I just see this as part of caching. When I find something destroyed and contents scattered about I'll pick up the trash and post a Needs Maintenance. I'll also watch this cache and if I see that others are looking for it and the owner hasn't disabled it or done any maintenance, then I'll post needs archive.

You call it being patient, I call it status quo.

Wow. What a dumb rule. We have a guy around here that is approaching 400 hides in two years. He drives right past his missing/disabled film can hides to hide another 20 film cans down the same road. And you think that I'm not allowed to criticize him because he has over twice as many hides as me?

Like I have said countless times. I don't care about small maintenance problems they happen I get that. Its the ones that are broken or missing with countless DNF's and need maintenance notes that I'm talking about. I think I understand what you mean about being new into it and eager to find everything so whats wrong with that. If you can't get to your cache in 2-3 months you shouldn't have put it out in the first place. Groundspeak is saying what, around 4 weeks to maintain a cache? There is not a thing wrong with being eager to get some finds. I live in a rural area and there are not a whole lot of caches around without having to take a good day trip which I don't have the means to constantly do. So there is gonna come a time shortly when I am gonna run out of caches in my area. Does that mean that since the game slows down that I need to slow down as a cache owner?

Wow. What a dumb rule. We have a guy around here that is approaching 400 hides in two years. He drives right past his missing/disabled film can hides to hide another 20 film cans down the same road. And you think that I'm not allowed to criticize him because he has over twice as many hides as me?

Thats what I'm talking about. Same exact thing. But how dare we talk about that. I guess the more caches you find the louder your voice gets. Tighten up.

Read my statement in its entirety, especially the part that says: do not be too quick to criticize

Then read the part that says: Take it slowly and kindly

then read the part about: No hiders= no finders

Then , and only then I make my tongue in cheek remark on the rule, ( as can be seen from the emoticon). But the real gist is that all the complainers should take it down a notch before they go off. Sometimes a direct approach can work wonders as in : an e mail to the owner saying I was at your cache the other day, it was damaged, or wet .

sorry for you if this appears "Dumb" to you

Sometimes a direct approach can work wonders as in : an e mail to the owner saying I was at your cache the other day, it was damaged, or wet .

As a CO there's no need to email me privately, it's redundant. I'll see the 'NM' or 'DNF' or 'Note' or 'Found' log in my email which I check daily. An online log also gives a heads up to the next finder that there's an issue.

Edited by L0ne R

Wow. What a dumb rule.

I realize this is the internet, and it's easy to forget that you're talking to real human beings, but a certain amount of politeness and basic civility are worth having in any discussion, no matter how strongly you disagree.

I didn't say that he was dumb. I said that the rule was. Would it be better if I said it was a silly rule? I apologize if I offended anyone, but my bluntness was intentional as it reflected my reaction to what I had just read.

Here's some more silly rules that people have.

I got an FTF so I have to pay for it by placing a new cache.

I have found a 1000 caches so I have to make sure that I pay my "taxes" by having a 100 hides.

Rules like these cause people to become prolific hiders, but that doesn't mean that they are hiding good caches. A rule that says that I can't be critical of someone's practices because his 400 LPCs over-ride my 185 hiking caches would be a silly rule, IMO.

Wow. What a dumb rule.

I realize this is the internet, and it's easy to forget that you're talking to real human beings, but a certain amount of politeness and basic civility are worth having in any discussion, no matter how strongly you disagree.

I didn't say that he was dumb. I said that the rule was. Would it be better if I said it was a silly rule? I apologize if I offended anyone, but my bluntness was intentional as it reflected my reaction to what I had just read.

Here's some more silly rules that people have.

I got an FTF so I have to pay for it by placing a new cache.

I have found a 1000 caches so I have to make sure that I pay my "taxes" by having a 100 hides.

Rules like these cause people to become prolific hiders, but that doesn't mean that they are hiding good caches. A rule that says that I can't be critical of someone's practices because his 400 LPCs over-ride my 185 hiking caches would be a silly rule, IMO.

Are you sure you have enough finds to be so blunt??? :D I have learned in my measly 3 months that I have been doing this that this is a hard place to have an opinion. I'm gonna try to keep getting finds and taking care of the caches that I put out and I hope everybody has a great time doing the same.

We were going to do maintenance on my cache today as there have been a couple of "wet log" notices, and one where the wet log was replaced. I am grateful to receive these notes, and to cacher who did what they could. Unfortunately, caching in the rain does result in wet logs, a cache container can break, snow, accidents and road closures can prevent maintenance. As it did today. I have managed to sign wet logs - not easy, but possible, even with the cheap pens I use!

I have seen atrocious caches and just write my log, and follow with a Needs Maintenance log and move on. Some I will place a NA if justified.

There are so many worse things happening in this world of ours, that I cannot get stewed up over a game piece - which when you look at the big picture, that is all it is. Just my opinion.....

Cache Maintenance Day is a great idea. On this day, all the cachers who failed to replace a cache with care and/or plundered a cache's stash, will go out and fix the mess they made.

As for cache owners, sure they have responsibility also but they don't need a special day since most of them are quite responsible. My experience with more than 70 caches and 200-plus stages placed, most maintenance problems are caused by negligent finders.

Cache Maintenance Day is a great idea. On this day, all the cachers who failed to replace a cache with care and/or plundered a cache's stash, will go out and fix the mess they made.

As for cache owners, sure they have responsibility also but they don't need a special day since most of them are quite responsible. My experience with more than 70 caches and 200-plus stages placed, most maintenance problems are caused by negligent finders.

I wouldn't say 'most', but a fair proportion certainly are.

I think, actually this is a great idea. Groundspeak could promote an annual 'Cache Maintenance Day' or perhaps 'Cache Maintenance Week'. Fall would be a good time to have it. And it would be great if people who performed maintenance on one of their caches during that time got a souvenir.

Every spring they do ask people to check their caches.

Spring is the logical time since a lot of them wet or damaged by freezing in the winter.

If people aren't noticing this is happening now, how would any of this change that?

CO's will by opportunity check their caches when it is convenient for them to do. Unless of course someone has told them they need to do it soon. Cache should be cleaned and sanitized and broken or otherwise useless, or inappropriate trade item should be removed. Log can be examined for fullness, Pen replaced and some new stuff added. Having a day designated for that will probably not wake many of them up.

Sometimes I am just curious about what is in there and what people are leaving and I like to read the logs.

Do you think that there should be some kind of cache maintenance day for owners to go check there caches.

Your idea of not being able to place a new cache if over a certain percentage of "Needs Maintenance" sounds good to me, but I don't make the rules and I would be willing to bet money that such isn't going to happen. At least in my area I know of a couple of geocachers who do not maintain their caches well. It can be annoying. But unless I really want to continue my planned path, if I see the next cache is by such a geocacher, and the last few entries have been DNF, I'll give it a miss. I may even continue on my path and walk right by the cache in question.

Helps to let off steam, but I doubt that anything is going to happen. Does knowing that it irritates other geocachers also help? :rolleyes: