Garmin Rhino 120

calligal

Hubby has a Garmin Rhino 120 while I use a Magellan Explorist but have had some bad luck not finding easy caches.

I'm wondering if this Garmin can be used to find caches, if so I thought we'd bring it along and check with both of them. The garmin uses bread crumbs and so on but I thought if we entered the co-ordinates it would work that way. However, he forgot to bring the computer cord along and my USB cord doesn't fit. Am wondering if it's possible to enter the co-ordinates manually into the Garmin. He doesn't use it that much so isn't sure. I've downloaded the manual but it's easier to ask. :)- I did a search but couldn't find anything on it.

many thanks

Most all GPSr units work the same way. There are variations, but it is the technique....

"Mark" your current position;

Scroll to the coordinate lines (highlight them);

Change each digit to match the set that you wish to proceed to -- enter digits within both lines as a single string;

Scroll to the waypoint name (that position you just created), highlight and alter that to the name or number of the cache ---

--- earlier Garmin units utilize only seven digits in that name, so use the GC#. As they all start with GC, you do not need that;

Then [save].

Each time you provide a name and [save], there is no need to "Mark", you can immediately jump into hand-entering another set of coordinates.

Mind you, these will be listed as waypoints on the unit, not as geocaches, so you may need to access them from a different (waypoints) file. Note also, each one entered will appear in NUMERICAL order -- lowest to highest (but you can reverse that, if you desire) -- regardless of the alpha characters.

Hope it helps.....

Most all GPSr units work the same way. There are variations, but it is the technique....

"Mark" your current position;

Scroll to the coordinate lines (highlight them);

Change each digit to match the set that you wish to proceed to -- enter digits within both lines as a single string;

Scroll to the waypoint name (that position you just created), highlight and alter that to the name or number of the cache ---

--- earlier Garmin units utilize only seven digits in that name, so use the GC#. As they all start with GC, you do not need that;

Then [save].

Each time you provide a name and [save], there is no need to "Mark", you can immediately jump into hand-entering another set of coordinates.

Mind you, these will be listed as waypoints on the unit, not as geocaches, so you may need to access them from a different (waypoints) file. Note also, each one entered will appear in NUMERICAL order -- lowest to highest (but you can reverse that, if you desire) -- regardless of the alpha characters.

Hope it helps.....

Thanks, it sounds too complicated to me :)-