tips on E.T. Highway and other power trails

nashuan

Like one tip I read saying to bring a can opener to open each film cannister, as the covers will tend to dig into your flesh affer doing so many hundreds.
Never thought about a can opener. I'd attach it to my wrist with a lanyard. Find something soft so that doesn't become a problem itself.
I was thinking about what one could wrap around a churchkey can opener as protection, but then thought that perhaps wrapping your thumb (e.g., with the self-grip tape used by blood centers to hold the gauze bandage on your arm) might be more practical and effective. (Personally, I'd just stop opening dozens of film canisters an hour, but...)

Just wear a pair of leather gloves. Don't need to overengineer this thing. :rolleyes:

I awful with gloves, even with my skin tight Mechanic's Wear gloves. I would never be able to get the logs out of the film cans.

Even though I've never done a power trail, I'll attempt to contribute something positive to the thread. I can't imagine using gloves either for a micro sized container either but here's what typically happens when I find a micro with a removal top. Whether it's a nano, a film can, bison tube, or something even larger, when I open the container I find I'm holding the "top" in one hand and the rest of the container in the other. In order to remove the log I usually end up putting the cap on the ground or in my pocket. Then I extract the log, which leads to...hold the log sheet in one hand and the container in the other. So now the container goes in my pocket, while I retrieve a writing utensil to sign the log, before digging through my pockets putting everything back together.

Suppose the person that "finds the cache" wears a small basket of some sort around their waist. A writing utensil or stamp could be in or tethered to the basket (the can opener is a good idea too). Upon finding the cache, the top can be popped off into the basket, the log extracted and signed/stamped and everything is right in front of you to put it back together.

I awful with gloves, even with my skin tight Mechanic's Wear gloves. I would never be able to get the logs out of the film cans.
How about bicycling gloves or other fingerless gloves? You could use the palm of the glove to push off the film canister lids, but have your fingers free to handle the log sheets.

I've done both the Rt 66 and ET Trails with the same crew. We never found a need for gloves or thumb protection.

Back when doing Holy Macro! a few of us developed "Cacher's Thumb" that was an abrasion or callus from popping open those containers one after another. The bicycle gloves might be the winner, I did fold back on of my fingernails on one of the E.T. film cans and the nail just now is recovering from that painful little episode.

BTW, you may have seen it, but if not, if you want an ET highway geocoin, you can only pick them up near the trail beginning, after ordering in advance. Linky

Take the time to "get off trail" and do some of the others.

"Grilling" amused me.

Run the loop up and over the Tempaiute Mine Road. evergreen trees line the road *** I am not kidding.

If it is wet, stay off the lakebed north of Rachel (that tow will not be cheap)

Bat Cave, Golden, Alamo Breccia Earth cache, Quarks, Groom Mining District Earth Cache, The Original ET Highway Cache near the playa. The Playa Earth Cache, XKD380, Daugherty Ranch, Golden Arrow

Other Notables: There are sooooooooooooo many more.

The Memorial Cache to Sgt. Stevenson A Police officer from Ceres, Calif. was shot then executed by a crook. Ask about him while visiting The Lil ALe Inn

Paul, very worth the effort to climb that hill.

Mike's memorial Cache a cache dedicated to Michael David Adams who was a cacher and geologist who died at the site after impacting a bovine late at night. (place a rock in his honor}

Take the time to "get off trail" and do some of the others.

"Grilling" amused me.

Run the loop up and over the Tempaiute Mine Road. evergreen trees line the road *** I am not kidding.

If it is wet, stay off the lakebed north of Rachel (that tow will not be cheap)

Bat Cave, Golden, Alamo Breccia Earth cache, Quarks, Groom Mining District Earth Cache, The Original ET Highway Cache near the playa. The Playa Earth Cache, XKD380, Daugherty Ranch, Golden Arrow

Other Notables: There are sooooooooooooo many more.

The Memorial Cache to Sgt. Stevenson A Police officer from Ceres, Calif. was shot then executed by a crook. Ask about him while visiting The Lil ALe Inn

Paul, very worth the effort to climb that hill.

Mike's memorial Cache a cache dedicated to Michael David Adams who was a cacher and geologist who died at the site after impacting a bovine late at night. (place a rock in his honor}

I spotted the caches for Sgt. Stevenson and Mikes Memorial and we'll be visiting those for sure. I just booked our rooms at the Little A'Le"inn. I am unexpectedly getting some great feedback on "things to see" while caching. Some of what you have listed I have already pinned in Google Earth but the others I will look into as soon as I post this. Thank you for your help. I've been thinking that when we return, I will post a list of things I learned and points of interest that we visited for future seekers of fame and fortune and gargantuan find numbers. BTW, What do you mean by "grilling"?????????

Edited by nashuan

I am thinking of doing the ET highway for about a day. Anyone know what the speed limit on the road is??? I need this so i can calculate how fast i should get them.

The speed limit is 70 MPH, and really has nothing to do with how fast you will find caches. The caches are too close to each other to ever reach the speed limit when driving from one to the other.

I am thinking of doing the ET highway for about a day. Anyone know what the speed limit on the road is??? I need this so i can calculate how fast i should get them.

The speed limit is 70 MPH, and really has nothing to do with how fast you will find caches. The caches are too close to each other to ever reach the speed limit when driving from one to the other.

You might as well be on a bicycle...which is possibly a preferable option (with support vehicle).

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED.

sweet we cacn go 70 mph on a dirt road? If i can that means that i can cross twothings of of my bucket list. Doing the et highwat and go over 60 mph on a dirt road.

Whatever gave you the impression this is a dirt road? The ET Highway is a sealed two-lane HIGHWAY.

I'm not sure how many of the ET Trail caches you have found as I'm not taking any time to scan your profile.

But hundreds of these caches are on unpaved desert trails. One could theoretically get up to 60mph on these roads if one really wanted to. But you better have something special holding your rig together and keeping your tires in contact with the road. An athletic style mouthpiece would probably be a good idea too. And you would miss out on a lot of caches too.

My sarcasm meter also tripped on blg723's post, but I am not being sarcastic in my reply.

sweet we cacn go 70 mph on a dirt road? If i can that means that i can cross twothings of of my bucket list. Doing the et highwat and go over 60 mph on a dirt road.

Whatever gave you the impression this is a dirt road? The ET Highway is a sealed two-lane HIGHWAY.

I'm not sure how many of the ET Trail caches you have found as I'm not taking any time to scan your profile.

But hundreds of these caches are on unpaved desert trails. One could theoretically get up to 60mph on these roads if one really wanted to. But you better have something special holding your rig together and keeping your tires in contact with the road. An athletic style mouthpiece would probably be a good idea too. And you would miss out on a lot of caches too.

My sarcasm meter also tripped on blg723's post, but I am not being sarcastic in my reply.

Hmmmmmmm,I guess he thinks "The Deserted E.T. Highway" has no LEO presence.

The awakening will be sudden, surprising and expensive.

I don't know about others but my sarcasm detector went off when this was posted. <_<

Sarcasm, I guess. All I know is that they asked a question, got the answer, then got sarcastic about it.

The speed limit on "The ET Highway", which is Nevada State Highway 375 is 70 MPH. The section of the power trail along US Highway 6 is either 70 or 75. I have no idea if the BLM has a speed limit on their dirt service roads.

I don't know about others but my sarcasm detector went off when this was posted. <_<

I just LOVE sarcasm

My sarcasm detector did not ping at all. Sarcastic comments state exactly what is meant but in a highly caustic, sharp manner. blg723, you merely sounded like a teenager baiting his mother.

For the record, I have cached the E.T. Highway, long before the power trail came into being. It was a great drive back then. Mine was the only vehicle on the road from the turn-off all the way through to Rachel. I stopped for a cyclist about 20 miles out of Rachel to offer him water and/or a ride as the weather was turning bad (freezing rain and snow). He had ridden all the way from Reno, NV through Death Valley, CA and across to the Grand Canyon, AZ. He was on the tail end of a six month trip of a lifetime, heading back to the real world and corporate life. I can't imagine sharing that road with power cachers on the job.

Do not forget "Mountain Money" >>>> toilet paper.

Roughly four hours for the Head Alien, another four for the UFO

Remember to have your wheels to the right of the fog line when you pull over and stop or you will be ticketed.

Even though you and others can see for many miles do not forget to use your signals and flashers.

Be vigilant for cattle at all times ... especially between dusk and dawn.

Be aware of sharp pokey plants and slithery desert critters.

Take time to "smell the roses" and use your camera.

All of this is good advice. Been there several times. My groups or 3 or 4 had a great time.

We did the alien head at night...what an experience! Walking into darkness trusting just your gps.

Be sure to stop at the little ale- inn. There are caches nearby and at the inn.

the "not" power trail caches deserve their own personal log.

Cache Happy

I am a power trail hater and have pretty much quit geocaching due to this garbage.

You do know you can ignore those caches, right? I don't see why you'd quit over a power trail, especially when there are still a lot of great caches to find out there. :)

We recently did 100 caches along the E.T. Highway, and I was surprised by how many people used large stamps, often occupying 4-5 lines of the log sheet. One particular stamp would have taken up 10 lines, but the user courteously stamped at an angle, so it only occupied 7-8 lines.

My tip for those doing power trails would be to get yourself a small-sized stamp.

I am a power trail hater and have pretty much quit geocaching due to this garbage.

I was not happy when the state that I live in banned cache placements on their property, but that stopped the guardrail hides and soggy paper caches placed every 528 feet. I really did not like it when caches were banned along the AT, and I did not like the idea of having to pay $59 per year for each cache placement on National Forest property either. But now that geocaching has became organised littering every 528 feet I don't mind at all.

Do not forget "Mountain Money" >>>> toilet paper.

Roughly four hours for the Head Alien, another four for the UFO

Remember to have your wheels to the right of the fog line when you pull over and stop or you will be ticketed.

Even though you and others can see for many miles do not forget to use your signals and flashers.

Be vigilant for cattle at all times ... especially between dusk and dawn.

Be aware of sharp pokey plants and slithery desert critters.

Take time to "smell the roses" and use your camera.

This post is from 2012. I'm sure they figured it out. But thanks for letting future runners know