Geoaching in Spain

camperfan

There is no automatic feature to do it, no. Nor am I aware of any GSAK macro.

I ran into this issue many a time when I got started caching, I lived in Germany, but mein Deutsch ist nicht sehr gut. Back then, I translated the cache descriptions, tried to boil them down as much as I could, and created a cheat sheet to carry with me in the field.

When we came back to the USA, we started paperless caching. When were getting ready to visit Germany for the first time since we left, I was a little frustrated that the issue hadn't changed and there was no Google translate option. I ended up loading a pocket query of all the caches we might hit and going through the descriptions one by one. My German (or at least my caching German) is good enough by this point that I didn't need to translate all of the cache descriptions, but I would manually edit each cache description (as needed) in GSAK before sending all the caches to my GPSr.

Cumbersome, I know, but unless/until someone makes a GSAK translation macro or adds an auto translate function to this site, that's how it's going to be.

Many thanks for your reply - I had a feeling the answer would be along those lines!!

I have 4 weeks to learn Spanish then ;-)

We are travelling very light so the least paperwork the better - I will do it the hard way!! (and take a dictionary so I can at least read the clue ;-))

Cheers again

I understand if you don't want to reveal hints ahead of time. I would recommend at least using an online translation (best two are Google translate or Bing translate, which per the redirected links apparently bought out Altavista's Babel fish software) for the cache description before you load the caches onto your GPSr. Especially if you're trying to do a language intense cache. Otherwise, you'll spend half your trip riffling through a dictionary. If you've not used GSAK before, you have time to play around with it before your trip.

But, whatever you decide, have fun!

Thanks all for your advice - I found out, purely by accident, that if I use the Google browser to view the caches, right click the mouse - I then get the option to translate the whole page - and then when it uploads to Garmin, it is all there in English - simple!!!

Am very pleased, and now have loads of them to search for when I head off in January - happy caching all and Happy Xmas!!!