Geodogs

Bushwalker53

Taking your geodog caching with you is good fun, your dog gets a car ride, a big walk with lots of new smells, and you benefit by getting a few caches! Have you ever tried caching with your beloved geodog? I have two, Ruby and Monty who love sniffing out big caches. I usually bring them when I'm going on a big walk in a national park or a nature reserve to get a few caches, why not? They'll love it! Here is the place to post a few photos, tell stories, and tell of past experiences of bringing your dogs geocaching.

Edited by Bushwalker53

My puppy (well, 1 1/2 years, actually) doesn't know much about finding caches, but she sure loves getting out into the wilds and running around. As soon as I turn the Jeep off the main road and onto the dirt, she knows what's coming and starts getting all excited. She just can't wait to get out and sniff around. When we're done, she's very patient in letting me check her paws for thorns, cheatgrass, etc.

Just a quote from a previous post. " Have you ever tried caching with your beloved geodog? I have two, Ruby and Monty who love sniffing out big caches. I usually bring them when I'm going on a big walk in a national park or a nature reserve to get a few caches, why not?"

I now ask this simple question. Do you follow the leash laws that most parks have? There are only two answers. Yes or No. What is is your answer? Yes or No. This is not a false dichotomy question. Do you follow the rules of the park where you take your animals? Answer YES or NO. Be honest. I bet you won't.

Just a quote from a previous post. " Have you ever tried caching with your beloved geodog? I have two, Ruby and Monty who love sniffing out big caches. I usually bring them when I'm going on a big walk in a national park or a nature reserve to get a few caches, why not?"

I now ask this simple question. Do you follow the leash laws that most parks have? There are only two answers. Yes or No. What is is your answer? Yes or No. This is not a false dichotomy question. Do you follow the rules of the park where you take your animals? Answer YES or NO. Be honest. I bet you won't.

Yes, always. But if you don't believe that I will be honest, I don't see why you bother to ask the question, since I obviously can't prove it to you (though you can see the leash in the picture I posted above). :blink:

Edited by redwoodkestrel

My Black Lab came with me on my very first find and with me for many years. She loved the hikes and the hunt, although she never found one herself.

After 8 years or so caching she got so that getting in and out of the vehicle hard and long hikes difficult. After almost 17 years she passed on to that great geocache in the sky and we do really miss her.

I take Fred out as often as I can. He's a 3 year old Red and White Irish Setter. He's not all that much fun on greenways and trails where I need to keep him on the leash as he's just too hyper to get hooked to a tree while I search at GZ. But he loves going on hikes in the game lands when he can roam free. He probably runs about eight miles while I hike four since he keeps going 50 yard or so and then loops back to me.

88ddb3ac-6b61-4ef1-84b5-032a3a36d07a.jpg

I thought dogs were severely restricted in National Parks? They are in the few that I've ever been in.

As far as lease laws go, my black lab Inga is rarely on a leash when we go hiking in the parks around me...regardless of the laws. She has good recall and listens to me so I am not worried about her. Yes, sooner or later I'll end up getting a "permit" from an officer (I view tickets as a permit that you must purchase after the fact) but in the end it is worth it to watch her run and have fun. The fact that we got her from a shelter where she spent far too long in a 3' X 6' cell has everything in the world to do with my willingness to let her run free.

Oh, and we've found caches together. Just a ballpark guess that she's been with me for at least 1500 of my 4600+ finds. And I look forward to the next day we can get out and cache together again as much as anything!

df4acb38-cdfc-497a-b852-f1c2fd60508c.jpg

d9d0b530-842b-4371-b413-c083b6968713.jpg

0b9a5545-899e-422e-b72c-c8fdd1f47743.jpg

d3317a4e-8494-4dab-bf5a-400d352d0f71.jpg

I think you get the picture of how much I love my dog. If not then feel free to browse through the rest of my gallery.

In fact yes I do, they would run away with any other animal they see not to be seen again, so we have to keep them on a leash, which can be frustrating at times.

Sue and I take Madison with us as much as possible, she is a chocolate Lab and she loves to be out on an adventure with us. When we cache with our Son and his family they bring there black Lab Bailey and they really make a day of it.

In areas that she is allowed to be off leash she puts on about three miles to our one... LOL... Cross country skiing is a great workout for her.

Our first and so far only Pathtag is of our beloved Madison...

Best,

Rob

When we're in a park, she's on a short leash. When we're out in the woods or desert, it depends. Woods, long leash I drop so she can run but I can still step on to keep her from getting too far away. Desert, off leash most of the time as she can't "hide" from me. But, she's always leery that I'm not behind her, so is always turning around, just to make sure she's not alone.

I saw this and needed to add myself to the mix!

I'm not actually a dog owner, but.....

I'm house sitting for a friend right now and went geocaching with their dog today. IT WAS A BLAST! I've been thinking about getting a dog for a while, but this experience really took me over the edge with my choice!

I've known that people geocache with their dogs all the timel, but I didn't give it any mind until now. NOW, I GET IT!

I woke up this morning and decided that I was going geocaching, but I wasn't too sure if I should brining Olivia, the dog, or not. My first reaction was, 'Of course not, it'd be too much of a hassle!' Then as I was getting ready to go, I heard her wimper a bit, then I thought, 'oh, heck... I'll try it...."

I was going for three caches that was a simple hike. The entire walk to find all three and make it back to the car, I was estimating would take about 40 minutes.... well, I was a bit wrong!

Olivia went nuts! she was so playful and... happy?! I've never been a pet owner, but I think I saw something that I never thought i'd see... happiness in a dog!! We ran, we sat down, we searched, we played, and 90 minutes later and finding 2 of the 3 caches, we were back in my car heading home.

I've been house sitting here for about four days, yes I know Merry Christmas to me (long story), and Olivia was always just stayed in one part of the house and I did my thing on the other side of the house, but things may be different now.

When we got back, she sat up next to me and hasn't left my side! I've been petting her all day... I actually fell asleep and she was still there by my side!

Although I don't have a dog, I soon may get one and post again on this thread as an actual owner!

I'm actually planning a Geocaching Day with Olivia tomorrow.

Fun Times!!

KUDOS to all you dog owners out there!

This...

I'm house sitting for a friend right now and went geocaching with their dog today. IT WAS A BLAST! I've been thinking about getting a dog for a while, but this experience really took me over the edge with my choice!

I've known that people geocache with their dogs all the timel, but I didn't give it any mind until now. NOW, I GET IT!

I woke up this morning and decided that I was going geocaching, but I wasn't too sure if I should brining Olivia, the dog, or not. My first reaction was, 'Of course not, it'd be too much of a hassle!' Then as I was getting ready to go, I heard her wimper a bit, then I thought, 'oh, heck... I'll try it...."

I was going for three caches that was a simple hike. The entire walk to find all three and make it back to the car, I was estimating would take about 40 minutes.... well, I was a bit wrong!

Olivia went nuts! she was so playful and... happy?! I've never been a pet owner, but I think I saw something that I never thought i'd see... happiness in a dog!! We ran, we sat down, we searched, we played, and 90 minutes later and finding 2 of the 3 caches, we were back in my car heading home.

I've been house sitting here for about four days, yes I know Merry Christmas to me (long story), and Olivia was always just stayed in one part of the house and I did my thing on the other side of the house, but things may be different now.

When we got back, she sat up next to me and hasn't left my side! I've been petting her all day... I actually fell asleep and she was still there by my side!

Although I don't have a dog, I soon may get one and post again on this thread as an actual owner!

Fun Times!!

...is AWESOME. Congratulations on finding one of the simple joys in life...a happy dog!

Taking your geodog caching with you is good fun, your dog gets a car ride, a big walk with lots of new smells, and you benefit by getting a few caches! Have you ever tried caching with your beloved geodog? I have two, Ruby and Monty who love sniffing out big caches. I usually bring them when I'm going on a big walk in a national park or a nature reserve to get a few caches, why not? They'll love it! Here is the place to post a few photos, tell stories, and tell of past experiences of bringing your dogs geocaching.

I bring the lab/husky geopooch with me every chance I get. In fact many hunts are an excuse for her daily walk and she has been with me for about 90% of my finds. In the quest for smilies, we have climbed mountains, crossed rivers, traversed swamps, and have been out in the rain, snow, heat, and in the early a.m. darkness. The only time she doesn't come is during my kayak hunts as I wouldn't want an 80lbs dog on my lap for hours.

She is getting up in years and is slowing down but I'm looking forward to many more years with my furry geocaching partner and great friend. I just wish I had taken up geocaching when she was a puppy as I would have trained her to sniff out moldy log book scent. Would make finding caches a ot easier :).

aa31a564-619c-4b2c-8e59-29e2d1b4b720.jpg

2a849b35-4109-4d87-ab71-77f1b561aed7.jpg

My nomination for Forum Post of the Year!!!

B)B)B)

Fun Times!!