Cycling To Caches

Bushwalker53

I don't know about you, but there is nothing I find more fun than riding my trusty bicycle from cache to cache, You get fit, you can beat all the cars in rush hour by cutting through public parks or hopping up onto the footpath when traffic gets slow, and you can park a bike right next to GZ, if you want to look under a bench, crouch down and pretend to inspect your bike tyre. Now I'm not saying that you need to dress up in lycra and speed around on a road bike. I never have, and I've never owned a road bike. All I'm saying is you should try getting your bike out of the shed and ride around collecting a few caches. You may not like it, I understand, but what I love is all the fresh air that you don't get when you are trapped inside a car. Give it a try and write about it here, also, write about what you think of the idea, or if you have before and if you like it. Happy caching! and remember your road safety!

Bike vs CAR ?!?!

Where are YOU from ?

some places a bike is VERY well used and common

other places just as wierd to use or own as a jetpack :-)

many places riding a bike on normal car roads will be called death-wish

other places it is normal and car drivers even know how to handle bikes,

like look for them and some even know how to avoid hitting them.

other places dedicated bicycle roads and walking paths are made,

amazing..

Have to agree with OZ2CPU here...

We have no caches left to find within 40-50 miles. BUT, I do use a bike to get to many caches... a Harley-Davidson. :)

Inasmuch as the nearest "city" is 50 miles away, it would take pedal-power to a new level, donchathink?

There are places we go to where we cart our bicycles, those are usually "touristy" areas that do not allow motor vehicles.

I do like using bicycles, but my behind likes it better if I use the Harley! :huh:

I frequently cache by bike, mine's a road/offroad hybrid so I can also take it off the blacktop. Most of my caches nowadays are a bit too far for me to cycle to from home so I often hang the bike off the back of the car, drive somewhere, leave the car and cycle round the area.

Definitely agree about using the bike as a decoy while looking for caches in an urban environment.

I don't know about you, but there is nothing I find more fun than riding my trusty bicycle from cache to cache, You get fit, you can beat all the cars in rush hour by cutting through public parks or hopping up onto the footpath when traffic gets slow, and you can park a bike right next to GZ, if you want to look under a bench, crouch down and pretend to inspect your bike tyre. Now I'm not saying that you need to dress up in lycra and speed around on a road bike. I never have, and I've never owned a road bike. All I'm saying is you should try getting your bike out of the shed and ride around collecting a few caches. You may not like it, I understand, but what I love is all the fresh air that you don't get when you are trapped inside a car. Give it a try and write about it here, also, write about what you think of the idea, or if you have before and if you like it. Happy caching! and remember your road safety!

2100+ finds, 1400+ by bicycle (well, OK, 100+ of those were by kayak)

On road or off

Road bike or mountain bike, if it has two wheels and I'm the motor, I'll give it a try.

Near home or 9,500 miles away.

Geocaching is usually an excuse to find someplace to bike to for us, wherever we may be :)

Cycled quite a few trails. Cycling on a power trail is kinda sloppy (caches short distances apart) because as soon as I get clipped in and going I'm stopping, unclipping and off again. Those trails are usually best for walking.

Biking in mountainous parks can be fun though, particularly if you are only focused on a few caches along the way.

It's one of those things -- where two activities I enjoy are sometimes not terribly enjoyable together.

Cycled quite a few trails. Cycling on a power trail is kinda sloppy (caches short distances apart) because as soon as I get clipped in and going I'm stopping, unclipping and off again. Those trails are usually best for walking.

We have done a lot of caching on bikes, even power trails. Our bikes are not very fancy and dont require clip in. We park the car at a spot where the trail crosses the road. We get on the bikes and pedal to every second cache on the trail. After a while (time or number of caches depending on situation) we return to the car picking up all the caches we missed. We take a break at the car and then bike in the other direction down the trail.

PAul

Biking in mountainous parks can be fun though, particularly if you are only focused on a few caches along the way.

It's one of those things -- where two activities I enjoy are sometimes not terribly enjoyable together.

I agree with you. I have't done a power trail but a couple of nice size trails with caches every .1 - .2 miles apart. The first one I stopped at everyone and the clipping in and out and stopping so quickly made it a little less enjoyable. I like to ride at a good pace so stopping and going wasn't my thing. I probably would have been better off hiking it. But the second trail I did I found every other cache and found the others on the way back so that I rode for a bit longer between stops.

I went caching on my bike once, it was for a now-defunct geocaching challenge to hike or bike the Hike-Bike Path at Bernheim Forest in Kentucky. It was a lot of fun. I've been thinking the fall and winter is a great time to go in the forests but when it starts getting green I'm thinking of using the bike a lot more. All of the urban caches which I don't bother with in my car will be a lot of fun on a bike.

Bike vs CAR ?!?!

Where are YOU from ?

some places a bike is VERY well used and common

other places just as wierd to use or own as a jetpack :-)

many places riding a bike on normal car roads will be called death-wish

other places it is normal and car drivers even know how to handle bikes,

like look for them and some even know how to avoid hitting them.

other places dedicated bicycle roads and walking paths are made,

amazing..

Well, in Australia it's a death wish to ride on main roads, but other that that people are pretty sensible around them.

Favorite georide to date was the Freeport Historical Geotrail in Pennsylvania. It was a warm, relaxing and peaceful trip that I don't think could have been better. Also gave us an opportunity to finish up the Alleghany Geotrail. Like many others previously in this thread, current location does not conveniently advocate geobike rides as much as we'd like.

I got a new bike for my birthday a few years back specifically to ride to caches.

We have a lot of suburban greenways and rail trails which have lots of caches to find.

I don't clip in, but when the caches are closely spaced I will skip every other one or more so I have some to find on the ride back to the trail head.

Some caution is required. I was caching with a bike when I left it to go in search of a cache that was a short distance off trail. By the time I returned, a group of cow scientists had wondered over, knocked it to the ground, peed on the seat, and bent a wheel.

Huh? Cow scientists? Neither google nor urbandictionary.com gave me any satisfactory definitions for this one.

In addition to taking my bike to various local destinations, I've rented bikes in Chicago and Manhattan NYC. I've even taken bikes on the subway in NYC to get to nearby parks for caching. There are enough Rails To Trails with hundreds of caches available within a few hours drive to keep me going for years even if I did no other type of caching.

Lots of caches on bike trails in my world, and lots of areas with tracks that can be biked. Florida, it's flat, the hazzards are loose sand, and water.

Re water and biking in Florida, below one of my favorite images from a cache log (this is not me or my husband, we only got axle deep doing the same cache) ;-)

f0e0a7a9-a2aa-4602-899f-79dd69e0faae.jpg

Wait wait, is that cacher headed to a Clan Riffter <sp?> cache? Looks like a sweet one to me.

f33aef82-02ab-48b2-8eb8-95d1091a2833.jpgThere is a group of us who have have done many caches on Bicycle. I did the iconic 5 Star New York in NYC on bike. New York City, Washington,DC, Cape Cod, Delaware, Rail Trails all present caching opportunities . In the spring we will do the Pine Creek Rail Trail in Pennsylvania, rated as one of the top 10 rail trails in the nation. But this past Octover we undertook the C&O Canal Towpath and we rode 120 miles for one cache. Now there is a place just screaming for virtuals. That ride was so great that we are planning on returning next year.

Why walk when you can ride.

Edited by Packanack

I normally travel by LPC (leather personnel carrier) for trail caches.

I do remember biking to at least one cache -- I wanted to get a cache in Mexico, but I had a government rental car and didn't want to mess with Mexican insurance. So, I checked out a bike from the outdoor recreation folks at Fort Sam Houston, parked on the U.S. side of the dam at Amistad Reservoir, and biked to Tlaloc.

f30f7b2d-9667-45cc-bb36-1d66ae20f421.jpg

Not bad for a $10 weekend rental.

We bike often at home in Maine but not close to home because we have claimed all of those... We do cart them off to an area to cache once in a bit...

I often travel to San Diego and this past month, while I have been staying in Coronado I bought a bicycle to tool around on. There were many caches to keep me busy for a couple of weeks and I was able to get some good rides in...

When I go over to the city I bring the bike and look for caches that are of the main drags, Balboa Park has many and that is good riding. I see taking the bike with me to Yuma next month too. Seems to be more of an adventure even if I ride only on the street, carry a backpack, trail snacks and water, good fun.

Best,

Rob

If you go to Walker, Minnesota, and expand out from there you will see about 1000 caches along the Paul Bunyan Trail System and other linked trails. One can bike all day and only make a small dent in the caches along the trail. If you prefer to get off of a paved trail and are not seeking power trail caches check out Hibbing with the Pedalin On' series. It is great pedaling with a mountain bike but not so hard that only the most hardcore mountain bikers can ride it. I'd rather cache and... bike or kayak or ski or snowshoe. I skied to a cache earlier this week. A few weeks ago I was still biking and caching...after a Christmas caching event. :D The bike needed to be put away after I crashed on ice. :( Minnesota has some of the best bike trail systems in the USA and cachers have liberally sprinkled caches along those trails to entice us riders to use those trails.