How do I get premium for free?

IcedTea

Posters, please don't suggest trying to get in illegally.

If you have a friend with a premium membership, you can have him/her get the cache info for you, and you don't need a premium membership to log a find.

There's nothing "illegal" about a basic member using the back door to log a premium-members-only cache. It's been around for years, and is well-known and allowed by Groundspeak.

--Larry

If you have a friend with a premium membership, you can have him/her get the cache info for you, and you don't need a premium membership to log a find.

It isn't against the rules, and GS knows about it. Jeremy has promised it won't be closed.

I think sharing PQ's is the only thing you're not supposed to do.

I have no clue what just happened, but my account now says premium member, but I still can't view caches. This is very strange....

You're one of the lucky's. I didn't do it. I have an idea who did but I won't say :ph34r:

log out and back in again. Please pay it forward-you don't have to buy a PM for someone here, Help someone change a tire, or next time you see a police officer on foot in the middle of winter give him a a gift card to buy some coffee. Just do something nice-and unexpected-for someone you don't know.

Can't get them for free sorry. Unless of course someone pay the $30 for you. Now there are ways to view and log those caches on a Basic membership, Which someone more experienced will probably tell you how to do shortly.

There is no legitimate way to view a Premium cache page except to log on as a premium member , however, if you find a way to get to the actual cache and sign the log, there is a permitted way to log it online.

I can view caches fine now, but I will pay it forward, I promise. B)

We know you will... In your own time, don't rush it young man... And when you do, the feeling will be the same as you just experienced, maybe better.

Good on whomever did that... Great bunch of folks here.

Best,

Rob

Premium Members are elitists.

I'm not an elitist. I just don't like the idea of doing something that may be illegal. If Groundspeak knows about it and doesn't mind, I don't have a problem with it.

To the OP, congratulations on getting gifted. I don't know who did it, but as others have said, pass it on somehow.:)

Edited by Kacher82

I'm not an elitist. I just don't like the idea of doing something that may be illegal. If Groundspeak knows about it and doesn't mind, I don't have a problem with it.

To the OP, congratulations on getting gifted. I don't know who did it, but as others have said, pass it on somehow.:)

Don't worry, I'm a PM too.

There are two issues here. If someone knows how to view a PMO page without logging in as a PM, then that would be an exploit of the web site and it would not be allowed by the TOU.

Logging a PMO cache that you found is allowed, regardless of your membership status. People here keep calling it a "backdoor", when that is not what it really is. Backdoor suggests that you are sneaking in without authorization. That is not the case.

Don't worry, I'm a PM too.

Yeah, we're all evil Geo1%ers.

People here keep calling it a "backdoor", when that is not what it really is. Backdoor suggests that you are sneaking in without authorization. That is not the case.

That's what I thought they were suggesting. I understand that GS allows basic members to log PMO caches, which is fine.

Whoosh...

Well if someone gifted me, I just want to say thank you very much, you do not know how happy you just made me :lol:

I have no clue what just happened, but my account now says premium member, but I still can't view caches. This is very strange....

Try logging out and back in.

I didn't do it, but when you get a chance to pay it forward do.

You're one of the lucky's. I didn't do it. I have an idea who did but I won't say :ph34r:

log out and back in again. Please pay it forward-you don't have to buy a PM for someone here, Help someone change a tire, or next time you see a police officer on foot in the middle of winter give him a a gift card to buy some coffee. Just do something nice-and unexpected-for someone you don't know.

i did not know you could gift a PM that is a nice option i am liking this site/org more and more when my free 30 membership runs out i will definately renew for a 1 year membership

Aww I would sure use that premium membership! I am in between jobs right now and my fiance has been singlehandedly supporting his father and brother (my fiance's mother just passed away suddenly from late stage cancer). :sad: We've been geocaching a lot lately to take our minds off of everything, and I sure wouldn't mind having PQs again. Oh well, hard knocks I guess.

Twitch, I have a 30 day trial from something I bought on geocaching.com. Check your messages on how you can redeem it.

Enjoy

:anicute: Aww D/C Fam thank you! We will put this to good use when we go to San Francisco next weekend for the second memorial service. We will definitely pay it forward when things have gone back to normal around here. :grin:

Well if someone gifted me, I just want to say thank you very much, you do not know how happy you just made me :lol:

Reading this thread just made my day :) Kudos to the anonymous benefactor. This kind of spirit is one of the attributes that attracted me to geocaching. It is in many ways an anonymous game, open to anyone, completely dependent on the goodwill of others to continue. The game is what you make it, PM or not.

I think "PMO's are elitists" is a little bit more accurate. As a premium member, I don't think I am better than any other geocacher and because of this, I will never put out a PMO.

I happen to agree with this, but the fact is that non-geocachers can go and look for basic caches without even creating an account. Because of this, I have made a select few caches as PMO. These are caches that are custom built and that I won't be able to replace if they are lost. I'm simply not willing to chance some guy that has had a free app on their phone for five minutes and has no real idea of what geocaching is about, messing with these particular caches. All of my other caches can be replaced, so I leave them as basic caches and will replace them if something happens.

I think "PMO's are elitists" is a little bit more accurate. As a premium member, I don't think I am better than any other geocacher and because of this, I will never put out a PMO.

I happen to agree with this, but the fact is that non-geocachers can go and look for basic caches without even creating an account. Because of this, I have made a select few caches as PMO. These are caches that are custom built and that I won't be able to replace if they are lost. I'm simply not willing to chance some guy that has had a free app on their phone for five minutes and has no real idea of what geocaching is about, messing with these particular caches. All of my other caches can be replaced, so I leave them as basic caches and will replace them if something happens.

Premium should be for extra/better site services. It shouldn't have anything to do with being permitted to have the coords of a cache.

If you think it does maybe you can convince gc.com to give you cash back on every missing pm cache.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Premium should be for extra/better site services. It shouldn't have anything to do with being permitted to have the coords of a cache.

If you think it does maybe you can convince gc.com to give you cash back on every missing pm cache.

Well, Blue, I think I disagree.

ONE OF the extra site services is the ability to search for PMO caches.

If your opinion extends back to the existence of PMO caches, I can understand that, but realize that in some situations people use PMO caches for very valid reasons.

For example, if you live in an area with a Boy Scout Camp, and every summer they pump two hundred twelve year-old scouts away from their parents for a week under the guidance of sixteen year-old councellor through the Merit Badge program and produce 100 basic members (again, signing up at camp, away from their parents) who will cache for a week and a half, nothing you put out will EVER survive past August.

In that case, I MIGHT decide to make my caches PMO to make sure that they'll most likely be found by people who at the very least have ponied up thirty bucks and demonstrated a little dedication and seriousness to the hobby. Don't get me wrong! I'm not denigrating Basic Members or saying that they're not serious if they can't pay $30; all I'm saying is there ARE valid, non-elitist reasons for PMO caches. The fact that well-intentioned Basic Members won't see my caches on the map may be unfortunate, and I regret that.

None of my three (yes, only three) owned caches are PMO because they don't need to be, but I wouldn't critize another owner's decision to go PMO if he or she feel the need.

And by the way, I'm a registered Merit Badge councellor for that badge, and no longer teach it to groups because of the effect.

...Bill

**Edited to add missing words.

Edited by TeamRabbitRun