geocoincollector.com

thesmurfinator

I think it looks nice! I just created an account there and now I'm trying to figure out how to upload pictures. I have inserted each of the four codes from Photobucket in the appropriate box, one after another, but none of them seems to work. There's something that I'm doing wrong .......

Well, the site owner says that feedback is always welcome. GeocoinCollector For Dummies questions too, I hope! :D

well it is useful to me - I find cointracking quite confusing and it is nice to have somewhere that I can list my coins quickly and easily, with photos-and have a link that I can post anywhere that will show my full collection, in sections, including coins that I am keeping, coins to trade etc. I´m not saying that it is perfect but it is a lot quicker and easier than most of the other coin sites out there...

Edited by thesmurfinator

well it is useful to me - I find cointracking quite confusing and it is nice to have somewhere that I can list my coins quickly and easily, with photos-and have a link that I can post anywhere that will show my full collection, in sections, including coins that I am keeping, coins to trade etc. I´m not saying that it is perfect but it is a lot quicker and easier than most of the other coin sites out there...

You are aware of this website, aren't you? Here you can search for available coins in other collectors' lists and initiate trades. And more!

I have an alarming number of coins. As I was getting all my Geo-stuff organized, every time I came across a coin from some event, trade, mission or I bought because I felt I couldn't live without it, I placed it in a box.

The box wasn't big enough.

I got a bigger box.

It wasn't big enough, either. :blink:

Some of these need to get activated and get moving, as tough as that is to do, I gotta send them out into the world.

Selling them doesn't seem a good option, though I have pitched a few into raffles for prizes.

You are aware of this website, aren't you? Here you can search for available coins in other collectors' lists and initiate trades. And more!

That must be the site I was thinking I created an account on in 2008.

I find cointracking very useful because I can view other's collections. I have an account with them, but haven't got my act organized enough yet to add my HUGE collection to it. Someday...

I have ended up with some very, very nice coins that I found from others' collections on cointracking.

Don't really see the point of having a place to upload my own collection unless others can see it, too. You could do that in excel or some other non-web-based program if you just want to keep a list of your own collection.

edited 'cause I can't spell.

Edited by steben6

Obviously I am aware of that site which is why it says "I find cointracking confusing" in the quote you used above.

Maybe I am incredibly stupid or something but I do not see how to upload pictures at all! :huh: I created an account. Now what?

CF30

You need to upload your coin photos to photobucket or similar then use the direct link code in the space where it says "image" on the "add coin" page. hope this helps

I find cointracking very useful because I can view other's collections. I have an account with them, but haven't got my act organized enough yet to add my HUGE collection to it. Someday...

I have ended up with some very, very nice coins that I found from others' collections on cointracking.

Don't really see the point of having a place to upload my own collection unless others can see it, too. You could do that in excel or some other non-web-based program if you just want to keep a list of your own collection.

but others CAN see it, here is my list:My coins

so I don´t really understand the point you are trying to make, can you explain please?

I also have an account with cointracking, but as I said above, I find it quite time consuming and confusing to use.

The first thing I do when I receive a new coin - after I´ve finished oo-ing and ahh-ing of course - is to take a photo and upload it to photobucket with it´s name if possible - I am new to the collecting world and I don´t know every coin of by heart like some of you seem to lol.

Once I have done that it is very simple and quick to update my list with photos on geocollector.com than it is on cointracking. If it is coins that I am planning on keeping then it´s probably worth the extra time, but for traders that may come and go quickly I think I will be also using this site, and it is more likely to be up to date than my cointracking page....

Edited by thesmurfinator

Obviously I am aware of that site which is why it says "I find cointracking confusing" in the quote you used above.

Yes, of course, now I can see what you meant. Wrong interpretation by a non native speaker ......

I have just found this site and it seems to be quite a good place to show your collection online. Does anyone else use this site?

the problem i see with this site is if you have a large collection of coins it is going to be problematic to display all of them at the photo size that is showing. or is there a way to have smaller photos.

also, if you don't have someone's list link, is it possible to search over the entire site for a specific coin?

there used to be a web site that sort of fell apart that had a similar name. it allowed you to search for a specific coin and to see who had one either to keep or trade. you could also search by collector. for example, with my love of tranquilities, i could do a search for tranquility and all the coins that had that name would pop up.

i use cointracking and the only thing i find confusing is there is no consistent naming guidelines. sometimes one has to be creative in searching for a coin.

Maybe I am incredibly stupid or something but I do not see how to upload pictures at all! :huh: I created an account. Now what?

CF30

i am not very bright either. i have photos of some of my coins on flickr, like the ones i want to post on the forum, but i don't see a place to upload either. here is a screen shot of my newly created account. cointracking really only works well if one pays the yearly fee so you can add to your own collection by picking up information from another user.

8274890829_0075e266f3_z.jpg

CF30

You need to upload your coin photos to photobucket or similar then use the direct link code in the space where it says "image" on the "add coin" page. hope this helps

but others CAN see it, here is my list:My coins

so I don´t really understand the point you are trying to make, can you explain please?

I also have an account with cointracking, but as I said above, I find it quite time consuming and confusing to use.

The first thing I do when I receive a new coin - after I´ve finished oo-ing and ahh-ing of course - is to take a photo and upload it to photobucket with it´s name if possible - I am new to the collecting world and I don´t know every coin of by heart like some of you seem to lol.

Once I have done that it is very simple and quick to update my list with photos on geocollector.com than it is on cointracking. If it is coins that I am planning on keeping then it´s probably worth the extra time, but for traders that may come and go quickly I think I will be also using this site, and it is more likely to be up to date than my cointracking page....

Sorry, I misunderstood and thought you said you didn't think others could see your coins.

I don't see a way on this site to search for a coin by name or by owner. That's what I do a lot of on cointracking.

Yes, of course, now I can see what you meant. Wrong interpretation by a non native speaker ......

Ah I think I can see where the confusion came from :)

I have just found this site and it seems to be quite a good place to show your collection online. Does anyone else use this site?

the problem i see with this site is if you have a large collection of coins it is going to be problematic to display all of them at the photo size that is showing. or is there a way to have smaller photos.

also, if you don't have someone's list link, is it possible to search over the entire site for a specific coin?

there used to be a web site that sort of fell apart that had a similar name. it allowed you to search for a specific coin and to see who had one either to keep or trade. you could also search by collector. for example, with my love of tranquilities, i could do a search for tranquility and all the coins that had that name would pop up.

i use cointracking and the only thing i find confusing is there is no consistent naming guidelines. sometimes one has to be creative in searching for a coin.

Yeah it is the naming of the coins that I find most troublesome, it can even make searches awkward.

I´ve received an email from the site owner and he is considering adding some sort of search facility, which I think is the main thing missing from the site. i´ll let you know if this develops..

CF30

i am not very bright either. i have photos of some of my coins on flickr, like the ones i want to post on the forum, but i don't see a place to upload either. here is a screen shot of my newly created account. cointracking really only works well if one pays the yearly fee so you can add to your own collection by picking up information from another user.

I think I know what has gone wrong here, you are in the completed webpage for your collection, not the control panel part where you can add you coins...

If you log out and log back in again you should be able to get to a page that looks similar but had an "add coins" button where you can add all the details

I think I know what has gone wrong here, you are in the completed webpage for your collection, not the control panel part where you can add you coins...

If you log out and log back in again you should be able to get to a page that looks similar but had an "add coins" button where you can add all the details

Thanks... I was wondering the same thing.

Now I see the ADD COINS.

:anicute:

I just noticed...

1. I had bookmarked this page and when I returned today, I was logged into someone else's coin collection. And was able to add a coin under their account. (Before I noticed I was under another account)

2. You can't easily delete a coin from the list.

I don't think I will be using this site again until I know no one else can log into my account and access my info.

Hi, I am the creator of this site (Geocoincollector.com) I made it a long time ago with the intention of having a place to display my coins...it wasn't made for tracking coins I found in caches, or for people with huge inventories of coins, but for people who just wanted to show off their coins.

There are a number of changes I could make to the site, but to be honest, until this topic started, there really hasn't been too much activity on the site, and I wasn't really motivated to do work on it since not a lot of people actively use it....I stopped buying coins a few years ago when the price of gas started to go up and haven't really gotten back into it, so i don't personally use the site that much any more, I just maintain it for the people who do.

I think the reason that TheLegoFool&Missus had a problem with a bookmark is based on how the session stuff works. You need to bookmark the link to the personal page of the user (http://geocoincollector.com/CoinViewer.cfm?UserID=83) if you don't have the UserID=xxx then the system will probably default you to userId 1.

I am listening to what people are saying on here, I know that the idea of uploading photos on an external site sounds weird, but at the time I was trying to keep my storage costs down..and I thought most people would just upload the photo to the Geocaching coin's page and then use that photo on my site (thats what I do)...in retrospect, that may not have been the best idea, but it's hard to change now.

I would like a better way find other users on the site...

since there is discussion on the site, I'll make sure I start doing some development again. Feel free to email me directly with ideas, or post them here if you want, I'll check back every so often.

2. You can't easily delete a coin from the list.

To delete a coin you need to change its status to deleted (or traded):

GCC-Delete.jpg

1. I had bookmarked this page and when I returned today, I was logged into someone else's coin collection. And was able to add a coin under their account. (Before I noticed I was under another account)

I don't think I will be using this site again until I know no one else can log into my account and access my info.

I'm hoping I answered this in my first response, but if you think that you were able to access someone elses admin page, let me know, send me a private email and we can talk further; I have never heard anyone raise that complaint on this or any of my other sites, I'm thinking it was just the public site you accessed.

Thanks.

Hi, I am the creator of this site (Geocoincollector.com) I made it a long time ago with the intention of having a place to display my coins...it wasn't made for tracking coins I found in caches, or for people with huge inventories of coins, but for people who just wanted to show off their coins.

There are a number of changes I could make to the site, but to be honest, until this topic started, there really hasn't been too much activity on the site, and I wasn't really motivated to do work on it since not a lot of people actively use it....I stopped buying coins a few years ago when the price of gas started to go up and haven't really gotten back into it, so i don't personally use the site that much any more, I just maintain it for the people who do.

I think the reason that TheLegoFool&Missus had a problem with a bookmark is based on how the session stuff works. You need to bookmark the link to the personal page of the user (http://geocoincollector.com/CoinViewer.cfm?UserID=83) if you don't have the UserID=xxx then the system will probably default you to userId 1.

I am listening to what people are saying on here, I know that the idea of uploading photos on an external site sounds weird, but at the time I was trying to keep my storage costs down..and I thought most people would just upload the photo to the Geocaching coin's page and then use that photo on my site (thats what I do)...in retrospect, that may not have been the best idea, but it's hard to change now.

I would like a better way find other users on the site...

since there is discussion on the site, I'll make sure I start doing some development again. Feel free to email me directly with ideas, or post them here if you want, I'll check back every so often.

I would like to say thank you for the work you have done behind the site. And to take the time to answer some of the issues that have come up.

I really like the design of the site, and the possibilities it possesses.

I have been looking for something exactly like this for my coins too!

I wanted to get my list started before I had really too many to list.

I understand the reply you gave me, and I can understand that maybe I should bookmarked the front page, instead of my user page.

Thank you,

and if I spot any more bugs, I will contact you directly.

M

One of the most requested feature changes I've heard is the ability to search other members pages. I am concerned about privacy and so I have decided to do an opt-in on this. I added a new field to the "Account Options" page; the field says: "Do you want to display a link to your GeoCoin page on the sites main page?" If you choose Yes AND if you have at least 1 coin added to the system, your name will display in a new page I created, listing all members who opted in. I also fixed a bug that prevented you from changing the value in the "Do you want to display your email address on the trade page?" field. Because of this bug, I have reset everyone's answer to "No". I updated the public trade page to now display your email address if you set the flag to "Yes". Both of these are opt-in, so if you would like to take advantage of these new features, please log into the system and update your Account Options page.

DisplayOnMainPage.JPG

Please let me know how you like this new feature, and if there are any other requests you'd like me to work on next.

Sir_Zman

Maybe this has been mentioned, but please be sure not to show any tracking numbers in your photos. Tracking numbers are supposed to be kept secret, unless someone sees the coin in person. And you don't want any unscrupulous people to activate your coin behind your back, or start moving it around.

There are a number of changes I could make to the site, but to be honest, until this topic started, there really hasn't been too much activity on the site, and I wasn't really motivated to do work on it since not a lot of people actively use it....

I guess to circle back around to my first post on here, there seemed to be a lot of excitement about some new development, but with the release of the Members page, only 2 other members have agreed to have a link added to their page, and when I look at the logs, only one member is really using the site. So I'm happy to try to find time to improve the site to make it more usable for those who want to use it, and I have no plans to shut it down, just send me a message and let me know what you want, or post requests here.

Sir_ZMan