Should NFC caches be allowed

Walts Hunting

On 12/14/2012 at 5:24 AM, elmh said:

A cache should be FINDABLE by anyone - if he/she wants to retrieve it, it is up to the individual if he thinks he is capable. He should not have to have a different device to find every new kind of cache.

I like the idea of something being findable sound nice at first I keep on coming up with issues. High terrain, high difficulty, distance/travel limitations, lacking equipment like a boat, XC skis, rock climbing equipment.... 
This comment was from 2012 and at this point almost 100% of phones have NFC capability but the idea still is valid for the next tech that comes out, such as Virtual Reality caches. 
People always have the option to not do the few that have something they are not capable of thanks to the great saturation of the game board with easy traditionals. I for one love the crazy tech we get to use. I just got an order of NFC tags but I'm trying to fill the cache page with clear instructions so all can use them.

3 minutes ago, CheekyBrit said:

People always have the option to not do the few that have something they are not capable of thanks to the great saturation of the game board with easy traditionals.

that sounds quite mean and exclusive of some people but I say that as one excluded from about 30% of the geocaches in the next town next to mine. There are a staggering number of puzzle caches that are the 'guess what I'm thinking' style where you completely get it or you just don't. I don't like them and in puzzles I build I try to give an example so people have a foot hold to start with. But that said, even though I don't like them, I am not sad that they are there, I just focus my attention on other geocaches. I do still work on those puzzles I don't like and can't seem to grasp and every now and then I can get it. I think its the same with whereigos, NFC tags, VR, and other tech. It takes a while to figure out but it is rewarding when you do. 

My phone recently was updated and whereigos stopped working, the folder for cartridges became unviewable unless plugged into a computer, and I still have to download via a computer hookup and manually sort to the right folder that the app can 'see'. It was a headache but it has made that advanced tech not a wedge keeping me away, but a challenge to overcome. I managed to figure it after about 8 months of trying things and it was really satisfying.

1 hour ago, CheekyBrit said:

This comment was from 2012 and at this point almost 100% of phones have NFC capability but the idea still is valid for the next tech that comes out, such as Virtual Reality caches. 

Augmented reality caches, yeah for sure.   VR would need a headset, AR can use a phone camera :)  I'm all for AR caches, and HQ has already experimented with allowing 3rd party software to run AR experiences like puzzles (similar to a Wherigo experience but using AR).

HQ has even implemented some experimental AR functions in the official app for viewing some special TBs virtually.

Maybe AR will make a comeback in some way

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 2
On 12/14/2012 at 7:24 AM, elmh said:

A cache should be FINDABLE by anyone - if he/she wants to retrieve it, it is up to the individual if he thinks he is capable. He should not have to have a different device to find every new kind of cache.

:laughing:

Maybe it's just me, but if a cache is FINDABLE by anyone, everyone is capable...

• Upvote 1