Bring back the blue face

railroader921

This is not only a sentimental request, it is practical. We use these colors as visual signals for efficiency in navigating the website. With everything now a blah grey (as if it is not even a selectable choice, but some dead, non-option), it is confusing. Will we "get used to it?" Yes, of course. But why would you break something that's already been fixed? There was nothing wrong with the logos in the first place, and they had attained icon status. What's next, a black "Found it" smiley? Do you not have some test group of real cachers who use this website to even look at your changes first before you foist this mess upon the rest of us, or is it just a dictatorship up there? What the heck, guys?

Yes, they have made a basic mistake in quick linear identification.

If you use these forums enough, you will find that you recognize the poster of a comment, not by their name, but by their avatar.

The same effect happens in the cache listings. We identify states by how the icons differ from each other, not the actual design of the icon. Now that the DNF icon is the same color as the note icon, we can not differentiate the two without focus. This hampers usability.

Yes, please return the blue-face DNF icon. (Which some of us would like to have added to the maps, a suggestion buried somewhere in this forum.)

As said in the other thread, the new one looks like it's in blackface.

B.

Yeah, that sends a message (intentional or not):

- light 'skinned' face = Found it! = smile = positive

- dark 'skinned' face = DNF = frown = negative

The Seattle area may be mostly homogenous, but in other parts of the country/world that might not fly well.

We have heard the concerns over the gray DNF icon and are about to roll out a small hotfix to return it to a more familiar blue face. Thank you for the constructive feedback!

Any possibility of considering the small tweaks posted by thebruce0? If you look at rationale, it aligns the colors and log types nicely, while adding subtle improvements to address colorblindness and instant readability.

I'm thinking specifically the NM and Owner Maint log types, and how if they are just a wrench with different colors, it makes it hard to differentiate at a glance. Adding a simple checkmark to the green wrench makes it clear that maintenance was performed, and the cache is ready to go.

Thanks for the update, Moun10bike. I appreciate you stopping by.

Any possibility of considering the small tweaks posted by thebruce0? If you look at rationale, it aligns the colors and log types nicely, while adding subtle improvements to address colorblindness and instant readability.

<snip>

+1

We have heard the concerns over the gray DNF icon and are about to roll out a small hotfix to return it to a more familiar blue face. Thank you for the constructive feedback!

THANK YOU!!

Edited by davejp84

Great to hear this! I really hope there is more than just the blue face. The shades of gray were more of an issue for me and I'm sure those who are red/green colorblind are hoping for some relief as well.

Thanks for the information about the quick fix.

We have heard the concerns over the gray DNF icon and are about to roll out a small hotfix to return it to a more familiar blue face.

Great to hear this! I really hope there is more than just the blue face. The shades of gray were more of an issue for me and I'm sure those who are red/green colorblind are hoping for some relief as well.

FYI that hotfix has already been done. If you're still seeing the gray frownie, then press ctrl-F5 while viewing a page that has that icon.

If you want changes made to other icons, scroll up about 3 posts. :anicute:

The grays make it difficult to quickly discern between some incos. The other suggestions in the other thread look great. GC graphics person could co-opt those and be a hero!

Yes at least make the grey ones dark enough and large enough to see. I can't tell what they are nor one from another.

It wasn't such a big issue with me, but: Well done! The new blue DNF icon is certainly better than the grey attempt was, and I like it better than the old blue one, too.

Maybe some of the other new icons will merit some finishing touches, as well. I've seen some good suggestions here... :-)

Kind regards - T.-Y.

I'm still getting the grey face after using the Ctrl-F5 method. It's on "Last Log" column.

Yep, it looks like the benchmark pages use a different "Didn't find it" icon than for geocache log types.

Geocache DNF: /images/logtypes/3.png

Benchmark DNF: /images/mark/icon_sad.gif

The benchmark "Found it" smiley is also a different file than for cache logs, even though the icon is exactly the same. Seems pointlessly inefficient to me and leads to inconsistencies like we're now seeing with the DNF icon.

I'm still getting the grey face after using the Ctrl-F5 method. It's on "Last Log" column.

Yep, it looks like the benchmark pages use a different "Didn't find it" icon than for geocache log types.

Geocache DNF: /images/logtypes/3.png

Benchmark DNF: /images/mark/icon_sad.gif

The benchmark "Found it" smiley is also a different file than for cache logs, even though the icon is exactly the same. Seems pointlessly inefficient to me and leads to inconsistencies like we're now seeing with the DNF icon.

Hmmm. It's the same DNF Blue face on everything else with the Benchmarks, just that one page.

The benchmark (with blue face DNF) on my profile page:

Benchmark2.jpg

The blue face DNF on the Benchmark's page:

Benchmark1.jpg

Just to show how little difference it makes to me I didn't notice till today and that was only because someone had a suggestion to show the "blue face" on searches. "What blue face?" I thought, "Didn't they change it to gray?".

So did more people ask for the blue face back then for the return of virtuals?

Just to show how little difference it makes to me I didn't notice till today and that was only because someone had a suggestion to show the "blue face" on searches. "What blue face?" I thought, "Didn't they change it to gray?".

So did more people ask for the blue face back then for the return of virtuals?

If it didn't matter, why bother posting? :unsure: