Waymark App Idea

L0ne.R

On another treasure hunt site, I can capture a "waymark" by driving within a few feet of the spot where the owner placed the pin on the map. The app recognizes that you are near the mark and allows you to capture it. No qr code needed, nothing physical at the site required to log your find.

I would enjoy Waymarking more if it had a phone-centric option where I could log a visit simply by selecting capture on an app. No pq's, no printouts, not a lot of advanced planning or research needed. (But keep the current options for people who do not have android phones).

Are there any other players of that other game here, that see the potential of virtual app pins on the Waymark site?

I can see how that might be useful for some Waymarks, but I think for the most part it defeats the purpose. Often Waymarks take you to something historical or otherwise interesting. If one were able to just log Waymarks while driving by on the highway, without even trying to see why they were brought to that location then we might as well just place arbitrary points on a map.

I don't think you will see much support for that here. I would like to see one that shows you where the waymarks are, allows you to snap a photo with your phone, allows you to add comments for your log and then upload it, thus meeting the requirements for a visit for most categories. But driving down a street and logging visits as you go... no that is not visiting the waymarks... that is driving down a street.

I can see how that might be useful for some Waymarks, but I think for the most part it defeats the purpose. Often Waymarks take you to something historical or otherwise interesting. If one were able to just log Waymarks while driving by on the highway, without even trying to see why they were brought to that location then we might as well just place arbitrary points on a map.

I think the distance could be set so that someone has to be within a hundred feet (or maybe less) to the object.

I don't think you will see much support for that here. I would like to see one that shows you where the waymarks are, allows you to snap a photo with your phone, allows you to add comments for your log and then upload it, thus meeting the requirements for a visit for most categories. But driving down a street and logging visits as you go... no that is not visiting the waymarks... that is driving down a street.

Yes, I agree that all the other criteria would still be needed to log the find. When the waymarker gets within 100 feet of the destination the option to capture the waymark appears. After pressing capture, the app would require the finder to download a photo, and the final step would be leave a note. The location-based app couldn't be arm-chair logged because you would need to be at the location to use the capture feature.

Yes, I agree that all the other criteria would still be needed to log the find. When the waymarker gets within 100 feet of the destination the option to capture the waymark appears. After pressing capture, the app would require the finder to download a photo, and the final step would be leave a note. The location-based app couldn't be arm-chair logged because you would need to be at the location to use the capture feature.

I put QR codes near some of my waymarks that would take a person to the waymark page with the instructions of use this QR code for additional information on this location. These locations were also listed on another [unnamed] QR code website, and I did get an increase in visits.

Personally, I feel that the two different sites work well together, as one site has good navigation built into it. but the QR codes it takes you to are a waste of time. Married with a quality waymark, it makes the other QR code functionality worth using. But, we must be careful as we may not mention the name the the QR code application on this forum, so please to be generic in any mention of this.

Currently, the value of a waymark is much more than logging a physical visit. Our waymarks have a high amount of virtual visits, and I have seen them used as reference material on other websites.