Grey icons

Geo-Ewoud

Protest avatars, inappropriate posts, angst? You would think that it is the end of the world but it's not. (The end of the world is in 5 days but that's another topic.) If you want change then go through the proper channels such as the Feature Suggestions. If enough folks post their concerns here, then there might be positive change.

Similar posts in other forums have been considered to be duplicate topics and locked and directed to this thread. Doing what you suggest only adds more work for the moderators.

Besides, the Feature Request forum is kind of like a black hole. It sucks up all of the good ideas and spits out grey icons.

Edited by Don_J

Protest avatars, inappropriate posts, angst? You would think that it is the end of the world but it's not. (The end of the world is in 5 days but that's another topic.) If you want change then go through the proper channels such as the Feature Suggestions. If enough folks post their concerns here, then there might be positive change.

Similar posts in other forums have been considered to be duplicate topics and locked and directed to this thread. Doing what you suggest only adds more work for the moderators.

Besides, the Feature Request forum is kind of like a black hole. It sucks up all of the good ideas and spits out grey icons.

You will notice that there's a thread open in the Feature Suggestion Forum that's specific to returning the "blue frownie" icon for the DNF log type. If there are other, specific, constructive suggestions, Colonial Cats is providing good advice. So, everyone, quit pointing at Colonial Cats and laughing, or you won't be laughing here at all for awhile.

Edited by Keystone

You will notice that there's a thread open in the Feature Suggestion Forum that's specific to returning the "blue frownie" icon for the DNF log type. If there are other, specific, constructive suggestions, Colonial Cats is providing good advice. So, everyone, quit pointing at Colonial Cats and laughing, or you won't be laughing here at all for awhile.

Thank you. I will construct a constructive request regarding my specific issues with the grey icons. I was under the impression that it would be considered a duplicate thread, and thus a forum violation, and I didn't want to be looked at as a troublemaker.

I took it that the others were not laughing at another user personally but at the idea that a post in that forum would do any good. Since the introduction of the Feature Request forum, I don't believe that a single requested feature has been implemented. I hope that I'm wrong on that and that someone can correct me.

Thank you. I will construct a constructive request regarding my specific issues with the grey icons. I was under the impression that it would be considered a duplicate thread, and thus a forum violation, and I didn't want to be looked at as a troublemaker.

I took it that the others were not laughing at another user personally but at the idea that a post in that forum would do any good. Since the introduction of the Feature Request forum, I don't believe that a single requested feature has been implemented. I hope that I'm wrong on that and that someone can correct me.

Yes, my laughter, which hasn't ceased yet, was not directed at colonial cats but rather at the suggestion of using the suggestion forum.

On the other hand how do we know that colonial cats in fact did not just post a brilliant joke and we are all laughing with him not at him?

Edited by Roman!

Since the introduction of the Feature Request forum, I don't believe that a single requested feature has been implemented. I hope that I'm wrong on that and that someone can correct me.

I requested they expand the WAP links from the first character to the entire word -- and they did.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=285087

Woo Hoo!!!

My faith in the greatness of the Frog is now restored! :rolleyes:

Those are ugly icons. I'm sure I will get used to them eventually, but yikes they are hideous.

Ha. I didn't know what to say, but it was bugging me not saying anything. You summed it up just fine. Thanks! :laughing:

Where's that thumbs up Icon? Would save me having to type all this.

thumbs%20up%20pic.JPG

A thumbs up icons should be green, unless it's a half-hearted thumbs up. Then it should be mauve.

Up until this point, Geocaching.com has been using mostly generic icons provided in third-party icon libraries. With this update we are now using icons that have been developed in-house by our design team, with imagery that was developed with geocaching in mind and that better matches the actual purpose behind the associated function. For example, rather than using an orange traffic cone for "Archive listing," we now use a red file cabinet. That old traffic cone was also used for about 3 other functions as well (including unarchive), and now each of those functions uses its own unique icon.

In addition, the coloring of the icons now follows a theme rather being all over the board. General actions are gray, while "positive" actions are green and "negative" actions are red. Blue is used for informative elements, such as ratings, notes from reviewers, directional arrows, et al.

I think that the changes to the icons are good. Actually very well done. What should "stand out" now does. The thought process behind the new icons was well thought out. Good job GC!

On a side note: I think that if you sent $50 cold cash to each of the "pile on'ers" they would find something to not like about it.

:yikes:<(Boooooooooo.)

Announce it properly next time. Any changes to the game should be beta tested and reviewed with a sample group. That's how games and improvements work. Not so sure this happened outside of the echo chamber in the office.

That is all.

Why so the PO's can create two trillion posts of complaining? Please....... over icons, what a joke this thread is. :ph34r:

Up until this point, Geocaching.com has been using mostly generic icons provided in third-party icon libraries. With this update we are now using icons that have been developed in-house by our design team, with imagery that was developed with geocaching in mind and that better matches the actual purpose behind the associated function. For example, rather than using an orange traffic cone for "Archive listing," we now use a red file cabinet. That old traffic cone was also used for about 3 other functions as well (including unarchive), and now each of those functions uses its own unique icon.

In addition, the coloring of the icons now follows a theme rather being all over the board. General actions are gray, while "positive" actions are green and "negative" actions are red. Blue is used for informative elements, such as ratings, notes from reviewers, directional arrows, et al.

I think that the changes to the icons are good. Actually very well done. What should "stand out" now does. The thought process behind the new icons was well thought out. Good job GC!

On a side note: I think that if you sent $50 cold cash to each of the "pile on'ers" they would find something to not like about it.

Your bait stinks!

:yikes:<(Boooooooooo.)

Announce it properly next time. Any changes to the game should be beta tested and reviewed with a sample group. That's how games and improvements work. Not so sure this happened outside of the echo chamber in the office.

That is all.

Why so the PO's can create two trillion posts of complaining? Please....... over icons, what a joke this thread is. :ph34r:

Sadly, it would appear you are in the minority. In addition, this is, to me, more about the fact that changes are no longer announced in ways that they used to be, and this change could have been tweaked (ala thebruce0's icons) to improve what GS was thinking was a necessary improvement. The fact that Keystone's hand slapping is the primary response we've had from any authority around here, I'm wondering why they are so silent on the issue.

A simple tweak and announcement isn't a joke. It's how things used to be done around here, and we all appreciate it. It is, as I said in the post you quoted, how games are adjusted via theories and models for gameplay creation. Just saying.

At any rate, I can still geocache, and will adjust to the change just like the rest of us. The issue is more of a "straw that broke the camel's back" with most of those "Booo-ing". We all know we can deal with the change, but we would have preferred an announcement, and a forum to provide constructive feedback. That constructive feedback has been provided here, but has, as of yet, been apparently not acknowledged.

Edited by NeverSummer

Then, I propose a motion that this thread be moved and merged with the thread in the Feature Suggestion Forum, so that this feedback is concentrated and placed where the critical feedback can be seen and used. 8 pages? Seems like a legitimate amount of feedback to add to the conversation there. (Even with the "regulars" posting within this thread, a simple up and down view at the subject shows that many are unhappy with the change and would like to see thebruce0's icons adapted to the existing change.)

Woo hoo! My faith in my most favorite company in the world has been restored! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Now, if enough people are seriously interested in constructive criticism resulting in an adaptation of thebruce0's icons, be sure to head to that thread and weigh in. I think that the issue is about more than just the DNF, and about the grey and readability in general.

+1

Woo hoo! My faith in my most favorite company in the world has been restored! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Now, if enough people are seriously interested in constructive criticism resulting in an adaptation of thebruce0's icons, be sure to head to that thread and weigh in. I think that the issue is about more than just the DNF, and about the grey and readability in general.

I agree. Given the number of people having a hard time reading the new icons, I'm pretty sure something will be done about it. It will take longer to fix than the blue frownie issue, though. Given that Christmas is almost here, I can't imagine there will be any changes until the new year. thebruce0's icons are good, but not perfect. There is alot of red and green in them, which poses a challenge for the color blind. I will try and see what ideas I can come up with.

Edited by The_Incredibles_
... I'm sure that a Greasemonkey script to replace all the icons with the old ones will be out within a day or so,

Well it took me more than a day, and I'm not the first, but I think this script is the best. Not only can you fix the log icons, but you can fix just about every other icon (mis)used on the site.

After you install the script, go to the Monkey menu >> User Script Commands... >> Icon Chooser. The green boxes show which icons will be used from each set.

You can also cycle through the individual icon choices by shift-clicking on them directly on the geocaching.com pages.

IC-icon-list.png

Note: If you installed that other script or style, you'll need to disable it for this one to work correctly.

Edit to add, if you have any other icons you'd like me to include, please let me know. I'll need both the original URL (on geocaching.com) and the new icons (either URL or email them to me).

Edited by Lil Devil
... I'm sure that a Greasemonkey script to replace all the icons with the old ones will be out within a day or so,

Well it took me more than a day, and I'm not the first, but I think this script is the best. Not only can you fix the log icons, but you can fix just about every other icon (mis)used on the site.

After you install the script, go to the Monkey menu >> User Script Commands... >> Icon Chooser. The green boxes show which icons will be used from each set.

You can also cycle through the individual icon choices by shift-clicking on them directly on the geocaching.com pages.

IC-icon-list.png

Note: If you installed that other script or style, you'll need to disable it for this one to work correctly.

Edit to add, if you have any other icons you'd like me to include, please let me know. I'll need both the original URL (on geocaching.com) and the new icons (either URL or email them to me).

Thank you, thank you, thank you! You're my hero! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! :D :D :D

IC-icon-list.png

You're the bomb.

IC-icon-list.png

Hey lil Devil I am getting messages to update "bag of tricks" and "VIP" and I think one more but the site it sends me to is down and I can't find the newer updates to shut up the nags.

Since the introduction of the Feature Request forum, I don't believe that a single requested feature has been implemented. I hope that I'm wrong on that and that someone can correct me.

I requested they expand the WAP links from the first character to the entire word -- and they did.

Sometimes its not so much they respond, but how they respond.

When they said Virtuals were coming back we got Challenges, which are now dead, too.

Very nice script. The reason I went with stylish instead of greasmonkey this time is that the greasemonkey script fires after the HTML is fully loaded. This means the icons will be the original ones at first and then switch to the replacements later. Most noticeable on the all logs page.

I am experimenting with a way to get a greasemonkey script to install the styles before the HTML loads. I'll let you know if I succeed.

Edited by Avernar

Thanks Lil Devil for the Icon script and did you fix the script page cause after I installed the script and rebooted cause I couldn't follow your directions for the changes I was able to see the correct page. Once I rebooted I was able to access the Icon changes and update the other scripts. I'll know by tomorrow if everything is okay. And again thank for the Icon script. This way I can choose which ones I wanted to revert.

Edited by jellis

Is anybody else having trouble getting this to work? I've upgraded my firefox, installed greasemonkey and the script, but 'User Script Commands' is light grey and won't let me click on it. I've tried reinstalling greasemonkey and the script and still can't get it to cooperate. <_<

Is anybody else having trouble getting this to work? I've upgraded my firefox, installed greasemonkey and the script, but 'User Script Commands' is light grey and won't let me click on it. I've tried reinstalling greasemonkey and the script and still can't get it to cooperate. <_<

Make sure that you are on a Geocaching.com page.

BINGO! Thanks very much. My red stars and little note thingies are back. It almost feels like Christmas. :lol:

Sometimes its not so much they respond, but how they respond.

When they said Virtuals were coming back we got Challenges, which are now dead, too.

You can see in the thread I linked how they respond when you crack wise about the delays.

I had done some searches on threads in the Feature Request forum that contained the square-bracket-enclosed statuses in their titles, along with temporal differentiation of time to completion and/or admin interaction, and put it all in a spreadsheet. The information made me sad and (as an IT person myself) slightly embarrassed for them, so I didn't publish it.

Maybe instead of getting mad every one is laughing at him, read between the lines and figure out that your users really don't feel that GS listens to them. Their are tons of good ideas in the forums and GS has failed time in and time out. "feature" after "feature" that just made things worse. "features" we did not ask for and don't want. "features" that are 3/64th complete and then abandoned forever.

The point is the feature suggestion forum is a huge joke because GS ignores its users. They have proven time in and time out that they don't care. They wont engage their users at all and don't even post in the forums when they change something.

I had to reboot my computer to get it to work.

Those are ugly icons. I'm sure I will get used to them eventually, but yikes they are hideous.

Ha. I didn't know what to say, but it was bugging me not saying anything. You summed it up just fine. Thanks! :laughing:

thumbs%20up%20pic.JPG

And you had to make it GREY ?????? :)

thumbs%20up%20pic.JPG

And you had to make it GREY ?????? :)

Of course. What else would you expect from me?