Grey icons

Geo-Ewoud

I don't get it, things looked pretty good before - why change it? Geocaching.com seems to change unnecessarily and way too frequently. Can we get something that works and just stick with it. I'd prefer to just focus on caching and not have all these distractions caused by changing the site all the time.

... I'm sure that a Greasemonkey script to replace all the icons with the old ones will be out within a day or so,

Well it took me more than a day, and I'm not the first, but I think this script is the best. Not only can you fix the log icons, but you can fix just about every other icon (mis)used on the site.

After you install the script, go to the Monkey menu >> User Script Commands... >> Icon Chooser. The green boxes show which icons will be used from each set.

You can also cycle through the individual icon choices by shift-clicking on them directly on the geocaching.com pages.

IC-icon-list.png

Note: If you installed that other script or style, you'll need to disable it for this one to work correctly.

Edit to add, if you have any other icons you'd like me to include, please let me know. I'll need both the original URL (on geocaching.com) and the new icons (either URL or email them to me).

Just installed it and it works like a charm! Now I have control of my icons! Thank you Lil Devil

The Needs Maintenance and Owner Maintenance icons look like they'd be confusing to someone with red-green colorblindness.

Very good point here. I'd bet this was never even considered.

Geocaching doesn't care about cholr bildn!

Reviewer-related actions (such as Reviewer notes) are also blue.

Publish icons are green.

A positive thing, no? :)

It depends on the type of cache being published.

A few suggestions I whipped up, thanks to The A-Team's convenient list...

I suggest a few more:

icon_poo.gifI don't believe your log

battle_for_wesnoth.pngComplaint about etiquette

coins-icon.pngComplaint about swag

Water_icon.JPGComplaint about wet logbook

book_icon.gifComplaint about full logbook

icon-grid.pngComplaint about coordinates

wallet-closed.pngReviewer bribe invoice

wallet-open.pngReviewer bribe received

emblem-camera.pngALR proof request

Edited by Ambient_Skater

I suggest a few more:

Dude! That is like the second time you have made me spew coffee all over the keyboard! :lol::grin::lol:

Groundspeak really missed the boat by not entertaining a design contest. :mad:

But, of course they know what we like better than we do. :blink:

The Needs Maintenance and Owner Maintenance icons look like they'd be confusing to someone with red-green colorblindness.

Very good point here. I'd bet this was never even considered.

Geocaching doesn't care about cholr bildn!

Reviewer-related actions (such as Reviewer notes) are also blue.

Publish icons are green.

A positive thing, no? :)

It depends on the type of cache being published.

A few suggestions I whipped up, thanks to The A-Team's convenient list...

I suggest a few more:

I see there is hope for our future!! Young ones coming up with these. These are hilarious. Great job & love the wit!!:D

Well it took me more than a day, and I'm not the first, but I think this script is the best. Not only can you fix the log icons, but you can fix just about every other icon (mis)used on the site.

Very nice script. The reason I went with stylish instead of greasmonkey this time is that the greasemonkey script fires after the HTML is fully loaded. This means the icons will be the original ones at first and then switch to the replacements later. Most noticeable on the all logs page.

I am experimenting with a way to get a greasemonkey script to install the styles before the HTML loads. I'll let you know if I succeed.

After trading a couple of emails back and forth with Avernar, we have managed to update the script so the icons no longer flicker from old to new upon page load. They will immediately be the new ones.

Click here to install the latest version

The next version will have many more icons to choose from.

Very nice script. The reason I went with stylish instead of greasmonkey this time is that the greasemonkey script fires after the HTML is fully loaded. This means the icons will be the original ones at first and then switch to the replacements later. Most noticeable on the all logs page.

I am experimenting with a way to get a greasemonkey script to install the styles before the HTML loads. I'll let you know if I succeed.

After trading a couple of emails back and forth with Avernar, we have managed to update the script so the icons no longer flicker from old to new upon page load. They will immediately be the new ones.

Click here to install the latest version

The next version will have many more icons to choose from.

It flickered on the first page reload, but after that it's fine. Just putting that out there so everyone doesn't think that it's broken.

It would be nice if someone could put the View Gallery link back in the nav area... Hint... Hint... Hint...

I'd do it myself, but that would like asking my Grandma to change her own oil. <--- no offense to any oil changing Grandma's that may be reading.

I suggest a few more:

Dude! That is like the second time you have made me spew coffee all over the keyboard! :lol::grin::lol:

Groundspeak really missed the boat by not entertaining a design contest. :mad:

But, of course they know what we like better than we do. :blink:

+1

I am sure glad I was not drinking anything while looking at these. :laughing:

It would be nice if someone could put the View Gallery link back in the nav area... Hint... Hint... Hint...

On my list for the next revision.

I have to say that you guys have done an heroic job of this, but I'm afraid that the next "upgrade" of the website will probably break all your hard work once again. I sure wish that they would work WITH the major Greasemonkey developers like you, either to adopt your enhancements (I think they promised that once but never delivered) or at least to try to not break your fixes.

On my list for the next revision.

I have to say that you guys have done an heroic job of this, but I'm afraid that the next "upgrade" of the website will probably break all your hard work once again. I sure wish that they would work WITH the major Greasemonkey developers like you, either to adopt your enhancements (I think they promised that once but never delivered) or at least to try to not break your fixes.

Where's the fun in that?

Part of what makes this stuff enjoyable (to me, anyways) is being able to pound the square peg into the round hole - then the oval hole and so on.

Where it is frustrating is when certain enhancements are simply not possible by the user community as they require access to the back end, like this one:

SUBMITTED (21313) - [FEATURE] System to remove "ghost" trackables from cache inventories.

suggest a few more:

I see there is hope for our future!! Young ones coming up with these. These are hilarious. Great job & love the wit!!:D

Thanks!

I think the problem is that ever since they started making monitors that could display millions of colors, web designers have been using way too many of them in their designs. Everyone gets used to this overload of color and when they try removing any of them, everyone essentially goes into color withdrawl. The solution is to go back to when monitors could only display two colors: green and black. Groundspeak should dispose of the web interface we are so used to and make it available to Platinum members only. Everyone else will need to download a special console application that only shows green and connects to Groundspeak's servers over a dialup modem. It could look like this:

AjX02.png

The logs:

zh04w.png

That's too funny!

I especially like the irony* of seeing a reference to Facebook ... on a green screen.

Now, if the number of Found It logs was 4294967295, somehow that might be more believable.

(Are you sure you're not an old fart who actually remembers the golden age of green screens?)

(* or whatever it is)

Edited by Viajero Perdido

suggest a few more:

Thanks!

I think the problem is that ever since they started making monitors that could display millions of colors, web designers have been using way too many of them in their designs. Everyone gets used to this overload of color and when they try removing any of them, everyone essentially goes into color withdrawl. The solution is to go back to when monitors could only display two colors: green and black. Groundspeak should dispose of the web interface we are so used to and make it available to Platinum members only. Everyone else will need to download a special console application that only shows green and connects to Groundspeak's servers over a dialup modem. It could look like this:

AjX02.png

The logs:

zh04w.png

That thar was some funny stuff!

Oh, and i like the simplicity and the short page load time of the green. GC.com,,, let's initiate this right away! :lol:

I guess i should post on topic. The grey itself doesn't bother me. My main gripe is that i now have to get used to yet another new "improvement" on the website. This kind of stuff seems to happen all too often on gc.com and so much of it seems unnecessary. As others have said, many times they are changes that haven't been asked for.

... I sure wish that they would work WITH the major Greasemonkey developers like you, either to adopt your enhancements (I think they promised that once but never delivered) or at least to try to not break your fixes.

There have been a few things that they adopted. The biggest one I remember is the log totals on each cache page:

TotalsByLogType.png

Prior to 2005 the sum of each type wasn't there. Then Prime Suspect wrote a script to add them. Later, in '08 I think, they added that native to the site.

Another one was the hint decoder. In the beginning, decoding the hint meant a page reload from the server. Again, Prime Suspect wrote a script to decode the hint locally, without a reload. Now that's integrated into the website.

Another feature that had it's starts in a Greasemonkey script was on the old Maps. They used to have the annoying property that they would spend several seconds re-loading everything as you panned around. I had a script that disabled that, among ather things. A few months later, that was integrated into the site. Later when the new maps were introduced, I noticed several other ideas that probably came from my script.

Prime Suspect and I have also written several scripts for the reviewer team. Over the years many functions from those scripts have been integrated into the website's reviewer tools. Most people don't see this.

While there certainly have been some website changes that broke my scripts, I don't think any of those breakages were done intentionally. On the contrary, I do remember one major layout change that was communicated to me before it happened, so I could get my scripts fixed as quickly as possible.

I've been around for over 11 years and I've seen a lot of changes to the website. Some I haven't liked, but most were a good step forward. I enjoy incubating ideas for future features and also fixing features that I don't like.

... I sure wish that they would work WITH the major Greasemonkey developers like you, either to adopt your enhancements (I think they promised that once but never delivered) or at least to try to not break your fixes.

There have been a few things that they adopted. The biggest one I remember is the log totals on each cache page:

TotalsByLogType.png

Prior to 2005 the sum of each type wasn't there. Then Prime Suspect wrote a script to add them. Later, in '08 I think, they added that native to the site.

Another one was the hint decoder. In the beginning, decoding the hint meant a page reload from the server. Again, Prime Suspect wrote a script to decode the hint locally, without a reload. Now that's integrated into the website.

Another feature that had it's starts in a Greasemonkey script was on the old Maps. They used to have the annoying property that they would spend several seconds re-loading everything as you panned around. I had a script that disabled that, among ather things. A few months later, that was integrated into the site. Later when the new maps were introduced, I noticed several other ideas that probably came from my script.

Prime Suspect and I have also written several scripts for the reviewer team. Over the years many functions from those scripts have been integrated into the website's reviewer tools. Most people don't see this.

While there certainly have been some website changes that broke my scripts, I don't think any of those breakages were done intentionally. On the contrary, I do remember one major layout change that was communicated to me before it happened, so I could get my scripts fixed as quickly as possible.

I've been around for over 11 years and I've seen a lot of changes to the website. Some I haven't liked, but most were a good step forward. I enjoy incubating ideas for future features and also fixing features that I don't like.

Well, I really appreciate your efforts. I'm glad that you enjoy do it and that you haven't become discouraged over time.

For a lot of us, the icons were not a simple matter of cosmetics, but usability. Now that I can change the icons, I'm finding that some of the designs are an improvement, while some are really bad, IMO. I'm able to get the mix that works with my eyes and for that I am grateful. Thank You.

TotalsByLogType.png

The one I like is the little window on the top of the page (no matter where you are on the site)where hills are. That you can enter the GC # and instead of going to the Play or Starting page.

suggest a few more:

Thanks!

AjX02.png

The logs:

That is a defininite F9!! Once again, well done. If you had been born a few decades earlier, you could have worked for National Lampoon.

Edit to add: Hey! Looks like I Found It!

Edited by knowschad

TotalsByLogType.png

Thanks, I stand corrected. I remember when the decrypting reload was changed to local, but I didn't realize that there was a GM script for that beforehand.

For a lot of us, the icons were not a simple matter of cosmetics, but usability. Now that I can change the icons, I'm finding that some of the designs are an improvement, while some are really bad, IMO. I'm able to get the mix that works with my eyes and for that I am grateful. Thank You.

Sorry sir I disagree... a casual peruse of your posts show there is much more to it that that. You have been very negative around here for some time. Why so serious over a game? Maybe a break is in order. Not being a jerk, expressing an observation.

suggest a few more:

Thanks!

AjX02.png

The logs:

zh04w.png

I like the hint especially.

And my God! The baud rate! IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Edited by hzoi

Sorry sir I disagree... a casual peruse of your posts show there is much more to it that that. You have been very negative around here for some time. Why so serious over a game? Maybe a break is in order. Not being a jerk, expressing an observation.

Interesting. Just because Don J might come across as brusque or surly in other threads has little to do with how valid a concern is about visibility of the small and grey icons.

Is is really that bad to adopt icon alternatives, which address much of the visibility, consistency and colorblindness issues?

Personal attacks are not allowed here.

Your bait still stinks...

*sigh*

Regardless of anyone's icon opinions, the matter still stands of the issue of colour blindness and accessibility! This is less about preference, and far more about practicality and usability. dry.gif

I bet there is a lawyer or two somewhere who would try to make a case of the grey icons violating the Americans with Disablilites Act and/or the Age Discrimination Act. :o:lol:

*sigh*

Regardless of anyone's icon opinions, the matter still stands of the issue of colour blindness and accessibility! This is less about preference, and far more about practicality and usability. dry.gif

I bet there is a lawyer or two somewhere who would try to make a case of the grey icons violating the Americans with Disablilites Act and/or the Age Discrimination Act. :o:lol:

Aside from the easy argument that none of us has to use the services of Geocaching.com if we don't want to... :ph34r:

*sigh*

Aside from the easy argument that none of us has to use the services of Geocaching.com if we don't want to... :ph34r:

I hope they don't play that card again.

*sigh*

True enough but it was a tongue in cheek comment to start with, hence the "shocked" and "laughing out loud" emoticons.

Edited by OHail

*sigh*

I hope they don't play that card again.

When they hold the trump card, it's difficult not to see it come out once in a while. I do hope they address the usability, consistency and practicality of their new versions. Much better adaptations of their own new icons have been hatched here in the forums. You'd hope they take that feedback in stride. Still no word from anyone announcing the new, "improved" face of geocaching logs and icons.

*sigh*

True enough but it was a tongue in cheek comment to start with, hence the "shocked" and "laughing out loud" emoticons.

And my "ph34r" ...nevermind. <_<

Edited by NeverSummer

Wow, never thought that this topic get so much reactions and views. Didn't looked at the forum for a while because of the recent birth of my baby daughter.

I hope that Groundspeak listen to the voice of there member and bring a bit more color to the icons and that the colors are suitable for color blind people.

Thanks all for the positive input!

Edited by Geo-Ewoud

Wow, never thought that this topic get so much reactions and views. Didn't looked at the forum for a while because of the recent birth of my baby daughter.

I hope that Groundspeak listen to the voice of there member and bring a bit more color to the icons and that the colors are suitable for color blind people.

Thanks all for the positive input!

Well, the first step would be to acknowledge that there is an issue.

Personal attacks are not allowed here.

Hardly a personal attack...be serious. Some of you are downright outrageous with your words expressed towards GS, I point out that to someone and it is a personal attack?? I wish I could say something like grow (redacted) child, but then that would be a personal attack, so I will only say this: NO I am right, I just installed the GM script to pick icons, you have to be kidding me, there is hardly even a difference in almost all of them. The icons have NOTHING to do with making the site readible or not for any with bad eyes or color blindness, and for the record I have very bad eyes. The complaints are the sign of something else.... and that personified for some.

Hardly a personal attack...be serious. Some of you are downright outrageous with your words expressed towards GS, I point out that to someone and it is a personal attack?? I wish I could say something like grow (redacted) child, but then that would be a personal attack, so I will only say this: NO I am right, I just installed the GM script to pick icons, you have to be kidding me, there is hardly even a difference in almost all of them. The icons have NOTHING to do with making the site readible or not for any with bad eyes or color blindness, and for the record I have very bad eyes. The complaints are the sign of something else.... and that personified for some.

Personal attack? No (The Incredibles' reply seemed out of place too).

But your response seemed so very over the top compared to what Don_J said in his post...

In it is positivity... gratefulness... clear expression of personal opinion... satisfaction that icons can be changed to assuage that criticism of the change... and thanks.

How did that prompt...

You disagree with what? His opinion? The practical observation of issues with usability? His recognition that icons can be changed and improved for himself? Your response made no sense and only inflamed the exchange... There are far more negative posts that you could have responded to.

The general tone of this thread isn't so much now that Groundspeak must change because people "don't like" the new design. It seems to me the strongest argument here now is the legitimate concern over accessibility, shape and design in regards to colour blindness.

Practicality. Not opinion.

If you like the icons and you have no issue with them, great! Keep using them.

But if someone offers a legitimate concern, there is no reason to call them out as simply being "negative". And it causes people like me to perpetuate the "negativity" with responses like this one. :P

Ok, am I crazy, or did the new new version of the icons on logs flip-flop the Archived and Needs Archived? Makes less sense to me than the previous one...
Yep, that's what happened. I actually like the file folder for "Archived", but neither icon makes sense as "Needs Archived" to me. Maybe something like this would make sense:

icona_pericolo.png