Grey icons

Geo-Ewoud

I'm ok with the new icons. A bit more color wouldn't hurt, but I personally don't consider it a big deal.

One thing I noticed, and I don't know if this was a feature before the update, but on the search page with a list of nearby caches, if the cache has a trackable in it, you can click on the trackable icon and a small window will open with a link to the trackable page (or multiple links, if the cache shows multiple trackables). However, if a cache shows many trackables, the links never seem to load, or seem to take forever to load. For instance, I tried opening the links for GC92 Un-Original Stash, which shows 22 trackables in the cache...I let it run in the background and five minutes later, the links still hadn't populated. Caches that had, say, six or seven trackables, the list would load quickly.

Not sure how useful that feature might be, but I thought it was pretty neat.

You guys remember when all the icons changed in 2003 and everybody hated the new ones? :ph34r:

I liked the change back then. But, there were only about 4 icons total.

I know the real reason for this change. With all the talk here, nobody has started the "BRING BACK CHALLENGES!!!!!" thread yet.

I like the new icons.

You guys remember when all the icons changed in 2003 and everybody hated the new ones? :ph34r:

I know the real reason for this change. With all the talk here, nobody has started the "BRING BACK CHALLENGES!!!!!" thread yet.

I like the new icons.

Yeah, and you also like power trails and FTFs. Case closed. :P

For anyone wondering what the new icons mean, I whipped up this list.

Thanks, but most of us didn't need a list before.

Probably not, but TPTB did have a list anyway for the old icons here and here. Since neither has been updated yet, I figured I'd provide a new list to the community. I've already had a couple of people thank me for doing so, which seems to indicate that the new icons are causing some level of confusion.

I'm sure I'll get used to the new system, but I still feel there could have been a better system and a better way to go about making the change.

Some consistency within the new set of icons would be nice, too.

Blue has been stated as being for "informative elements", which reviewer notes have been assigned, but notes, announcements, and coordinate updates have been relegated to the grey "general actions" category. I'd say those are just as informative as reviewer notes, if not more in some cases.

As for the find types, "Found it" gets yellow (not one of the stated colour categories), "Attended" gets green as "positive", and "Webcam photo taken" only gets the grey "general action". Is that supposed to be a hint from TPTB on their views of the value of webcam caches?

Grey. It's a Seattle thing.

I miss color. :( A colorful DNF would be so much better than a grey one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BFPt001PYU

I think it's a northern thing. Though the Siberian Express charged over the office this afternoon and we're expecting possibility of snow in higher elevations for the next couple days, so we can play a little at "Northern" grey skies, too.

The change in design is going to throw me for a while because I'm so trained by the old icons (something about brand recognition and why you never change your label once people recognize you have a good product.)

Edited by DragonsWest

I like the new icons.

I also like tough hikes and long bike rides but I really don't like puzzles.

Wow, the pocket query page is overly gray now.

Wow, you're right, it looks awful. All that colorlessness is just depressing. I really don't like it at all--geocaching is such a happy sort of a hobby, why take all the color out? Except for red and green for Christmas, of course. A page of all gray is just strange.

prem_user.gif - Premium member, as shown in logs.

premium_only.png - Premium member only cache.

Why not use the first image for both?

You have to really magnify that second image to see what it's supposed to be (a cache box in a grey circle, with teeth around the edge.) Every pixel counts with some of these new icons, and that's not a good thing.

Here's that one blown up. It's a prize-winner.

3b68d7f0-b8d8-4930-b98e-d4ae9c77651f.jpg

Edited by Viajero Perdido

I could and I never needed captions for identifying e.g. PM only caches or the icon for several trackables in a cache.

With the new icon for PM only, it is so easy to confuse it with a GC which is annoying as it is important for me to recognize PM only caches already at the first sight.

I agree. I often check the Nearest Caches pages to see if there are any new trackables in the area. Now I have to look really carefully to see if a cache has trackables or if it's PMO.

Please use different colors for these.

The Needs Maintenance and Owner Maintenance icons look like they'd be confusing to someone with red-green colorblindness.

Very good point here. I'd bet this was never even considered.

Anyone have R/G colorblindness? Get that in the bug reports quick-like!

I don't think colorblindness is a bug.

Can't be fixed with an upgrade, sorry.

The Needs Maintenance and Owner Maintenance icons look like they'd be confusing to someone with red-green colorblindness.

Very good point here. I'd bet this was never even considered.

Anyone have R/G colorblindness? Get that in the bug reports quick-like!

I have partial R/G colorblindness, but I have a real problem distinguishing shades of grey from white. I have no problem with them rolling out new icon images, but the grey ones all look the same and they look like blobs. Lots of posts to still read, but if someone doesn't figure out a way to change them, I'll just simply AdBlock them so that my eyes don't trick my brain into trying to figure them out.

I think it's a northern thing. Though the Siberian Express charged over the office this afternoon and we're expecting possibility of snow in higher elevations for the next couple days, so we can play a little at "Northern" grey skies, too.

The change in design is going to throw me for a while because I'm so trained by the old icons (something about brand recognition and why you never change your label once people recognize you have a good product.)

I wonder if anyone at Groundspeak is old enough to remember "New Coke"?

Okay, I've spent several hours now reading the " Feature Discussions and Suggestions" part of this forum.

There are a lot of interesting suggestions to improve/update the site, and some are probably on a long waiting list to get implemented.

But I couldn't find anyone who asked to redesign the icons. Can someone post a link please?

I've noticed another readability problem related to the grey icons: Puzzle cache pages have a grey pencil icon overwriting the last digit of the posted coordinates, to indicate that you can enter corrected coords when you solve the puzzle. It makes that digit hard to read.

I usually don't care about that digit in the bogus coords, but the pencil is still there after the change is made.

I like the new icons.

Probably because you are young and have good eyes.

As I wrote before I do not care that much whether the DNF smiley is blue, grey or in another color, but some of the new icons (especially those related to trackables and PM only status) are very hard to recognize quickly and to distinguish. Have you looked at those as well?

Cezanne

Just like most of the other changes here. If it ain't broke they won't fix it. So you know over time you'll get use to it and forget all about it.

That didn't stop them 'fixing' the icons though did it? Though as you say we'll get used to it.

I do think some of the icons are not very clearly distinguishable though and I would imagine that will be even more of a problem to those with eyesight problems and hopefully the feedback will make them think about the issue.

I wonder if the new icons are designed to work better on mobile devices (I wouldn't know as I don't use one).

Okay, I've spent several hours now reading the " Feature Discussions and Suggestions" part of this forum.

There are a lot of interesting suggestions to improve/update the site, and some are probably on a long waiting list to get implemented.

But I couldn't find anyone who asked to redesign the icons. Can someone post a link please?

Zing!

When I opened up GC this morning to find the location of a 1212121212etc event I thought something was funny. On a later look I thought the new icons looked a bit bland. Now I've gotten used to them and must say they aren't that bad after all. They certainly are less intrusive than they used to be.

Actually, the gray frown face reminds me of Blackface.

That was my impression, too. :o

3.png

Some of the new icons aren't annoying, but some are not "intuitive" as the old ones.

Mind you, they're so small and indistinct, it's hard to visually "connect" them to any of the geocaching actions.

Some times, a poll or survey of the members might be a good idea. I know Groundspeak owns the site, but why roll out these changes with no warning, no discussion, no opinion taking? Why throw them out there with no regard to the members' opinions / input / feedback, other than post-change reaction among the few who read the forums?

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

It seems to me that there are a lots of suggestions that Groundspeak users *have* made, some that even have had a response that GS will work on them, yet, for some reason we never seem to see any of these suggestions implemented.

Agreed. When do we get stuff the users are asking for?

Agreed.

One wonders why there is even a Feature Discussions and Suggestions forum at all. <_<

B.

Man, when I'm out in the woods looking for ammo boxes this is going to completely change...

nothing.

EDIT: However, the lack of communication that we as paying customers receive is troubling. I've said before- the usefulness of the weekly newsletter is being wasted on advertising features that most of us already know about. The recent announcement about the phasing out of Challenges has been one of the very few exceptions.

Edited by Castle Mischief

I like the new icons.

I also like tough hikes and long bike rides but I really don't like puzzles.

Most of us seem to feel that this is a puzzle.

Add these ones, which will sneak under the radar:

(removed since I exeeded my image limit in a single post)

Some more new icons for the list:

(removed since I exeeded my image limit in a single post)

And some more:

help.png

SW.gif

stop_watching.png

puzzle.jpg

icon_viewable.jpg

icon_nocoords.jpg

There are more that I'm missing including some I had trouble getting urls for the icons like "edit coordinates" and "personal cache note".

While I'm mostly indifferent to the changes (didn't the D/T stars used to be red?), it seems like another instance of TPTB changing the things they want to while ignoring the changes we want. As illustrated in my signature.

No matter how furiously we bang away at our keyboards, no matter how viciously we stab at our little Jeremy voodoo dolls, they know we're not going anywhere with our $30/year. The focus remains on coaxing $30/year out of the ever-increasing crop of new players.

(removed since I exceeded my image limit in a single post)

And some more:

There are more that I'm missing including some I had trouble getting urls for the icons like "edit coordinates" and "personal cache note".

More for the list:

edit.png

edit_attributes.png

pkg.jpg

icon_notviewable.jpg

waypoint.jpg

stage.jpg

trailhead.jpg

delete.png

Edited by UMainah

And some more:

More for the list:

Member Icons:

icon_admin.gif

ch_user.gif

prem_user.gif

reg_user.gif

I give up for now. There's a bunch more that exist. For example see "Pocket Queries"

Edited by UMainah

Wow, the pocket query page is overly gray now.

Wow, you're right, it looks awful. All that colorlessness is just depressing. I really don't like it at all--geocaching is such a happy sort of a hobby, why take all the color out? Except for red and green for Christmas, of course. A page of all gray is just strange.

I think that GS was overcome with a case of Pacific Northwet depression when they did this page. It matches what is outside. The only thing that sucks more than this page is an Electrolux. What was wrong with a Yellow lightening bolt?