Now that it's legal is it legal?

there is a HUGE list of NO NO items in caches, search the forum,

tobaco products are just one NO NO item !!

it is supposed to be a fun family game, for kids too,

people with a brain should be able to figure out what is ok to put in,

how ever we all do find bad and wrong items all the time,

just take it out and throw in a trashcan every time you find bad stuff in caches,

and remember to write in your log loud and clear what bad items you removed,

the idea is new people maybe read your log and learn.

I would stop geocaching when I start finding weed in caches. It would actually piss me off if I opened a cache, there's some weed, and now my finger prints are all over everything.

And why would you care if your fingerprints are all over everything? After all it is legal. :anibad:

It seems this thread was started as an attempt to make a joke. I find it is amusing that some people seem to take it seriously. If alcohol, drugs and tobacco are against the rules, weed is also. Legal or not. B):)

Edited to add, I realized you may be talking about finding weed in a cache outside of Washington.

Edited by uxorious

I'm wondering what limits the laws put on this. Most of what I read on the US situation was about 'personal use'. If it accumulates in a cache in any quantity (especially individually packaged in small amounts) for others to obtain (sale or trade) it would be a whole different thing. I wouldn't want to be the cache owner in that case unless the law covers private distribution like that.

On the other hand the stuff grows just about everywhere 'out there' anyway if you look around. Some organized and some just exists in some areas privately. Depends a lot on where you are I guess.

Me, I don't use such things, or worry to much about those who do in private, or who get caught driving or at work!

Doug 7rxc

Edited by 7rxc

I would stop geocaching when I start finding weed in caches. It would actually piss me off if I opened a cache, there's some weed, and now my finger prints are all over everything.

And why would you care if your fingerprints are all over everything? After all it is legal. :anibad:

It seems this thread was started as an attempt to make a joke. I find it is amusing that some people seem to take it seriously. If alcohol, drugs and tobacco are against the rules, weed is also. Legal or not. B):)

Edited to add, I realized you may be talking about finding weed in a cache outside of Washington.

I do most of my caching in Idaho/Washington, since I live on the border of the two states.

As it's been brought up, it's not as "legal" as everybody makes it out to be.

It's only decriminalized for having an oz or less on your person. It is not legal to use in public, it is not legal to distribute, it's not legal to drive while under the influence, and so on.

That's why I would not want my fingerprints on anything.

The federal government is already ramping up to step in if it's sold a dispensaries sell to collect taxes on them. It's a federal crime to collect any tax on a Schedule 1 drug. Here in WA, the biggest selling point for the bill was collecting taxes to raise revenue. I was part of the 45% that voted No.

Edited by gustav129

I do most of my caching in Idaho/Washington, since I live on the border of the two states.

As it's been brought up, it's not as "legal" as everybody makes it out to be.

It's only decriminalized for having an oz or less on your person. It is not legal to use in public, it is not legal to distribute, it's not legal to drive while under the influence, and so on.

That's why I would not want my fingerprints on anything.

The federal government is already ramping up to step in if it's sold a dispensaries sell to collect taxes on them. It's a federal crime to collect any tax on a Schedule 1 drug. Here in WA, the biggest selling point for the bill was collecting taxes to raise revenue. I was part of the 45% that voted No.

Your right that it is not as legal as it sounds. However, unless the feds step in, it will be legal to distribute, and use anywhere it is now legal to drink booze. No one is quite sure yet how the feds will handle this.(or the state either.)

I'm 65 years old, and so far to the right some of my friends say I make Rush look liberal. However, I did vote for this. I have no intention of ever using the stuff, but cannot understand the idea that booze is legal and pot not.

I have never understood the logic of judges and the DA spending a day in court sentencing someone to jail for pot, then stopping at a bar after to have a few drinks to relax from that "trying" experience.

While we're on the subject, what would you do if you found pot in a cache?

1) Throw it in the nearest garbage can

2) Smoke it or bake brownies with it

3) Hand it in to the police?

4) Do nothing and just include it in your online log

Just wondering because I found something that looked like pot the other day and didn't really know what to do it. It was hidden in a container under a log...on the other side of the log was an actual cache. The container I found contained a 1) lighter 2) little pipe 3) 2 little brown-green 'rocks' in a baggie. I toyed with the idea of taking it home for disposal, but then worried I would get 'caught' with it so I decided just to leave it where it was.

Just wondering because I found something that looked like pot the other day and didn't really know what to do it. It was hidden in a container under a log...on the other side of the log was an actual cache. The container I found contained a 1) lighter 2) little pipe 3) 2 little brown-green 'rocks' in a baggie. I toyed with the idea of taking it home for disposal, but then worried I would get 'caught' with it so I decided just to leave it where it was.

Probably option 1 and shoot the CO a message letting them know.

I've been living in Colorado for the past 4 years and am now in Washington state. Neither state is super worried about the issue.

I did have an older cacher let me know he put a hash pipe in one of my caches, I just went out and grabbed it on my next visit with no mention of it online.

Depends on the quality of the pot. If it was some good stuff, I'd roll it up and smoke it and come up with a new cache idea. If it was SWAG weed then I would throw it out so nobody else would have to deal with it. It's all about quality when it comes to Marijuana. :antenna:

there is a HUGE list of NO NO items in caches, search the forum,

tobaco products are just one NO NO item !!

it is supposed to be a fun family game, for kids too,

people with a brain should be able to figure out what is ok to put in,

how ever we all do find bad and wrong items all the time,

just take it out and throw in a trashcan every time you find bad stuff in caches,

and remember to write in your log loud and clear what bad items you removed,

the idea is new people maybe read your log and learn.

Really, thank you. We never would have figured all that out. :rolleyes:

Edited by GOF and Bacall

I would be sure to dispose of it properly. :ph34r:

To everyone who had fun with this thread, thanks. We can always use a good laugh.

To those of you who took it so seriously please, lighten up a little. Try to laugh once in a while.

<snip>

Yeah, I had hope that this would not be a re-hash of the many "What would you do if you found _____ in a cache" threads. :rolleyes:

re-hash? Is that legal too?

Oh look, I haven't colored in Washington State on my stats maps yet. I've been working lately on a potential project that would partner with a well known foundation located in Washington. Clearly, our next meeting ought to be in Seattle.

I would be sure to dispose of it properly. :ph34r:

'zactly...destroy the evidence as quickly as possible. B)

...no matter how long it takes. :grin:

A few years ago I was hunting for a micro (which turned out to be a magnetic key hide on a guard rail), and found a key hide under a park bench nearby. I took it back to the car to open it and sign the log, and lo and behold, there were six or so fat buds in it. Sadly I am a bit less crazy than I was in my youth, so I just dropped them on the ground and let the wind take them. I kind of figured that to be the best bet, security clearance job and involvement in local politics all with the potential for ugly consequences. As to the folks taking the original post as being for real: "Why so serious?"

With respect, the police don't care about your fingerprints. Even if marijuana was somehow made more illegal, the cops aren't going to try to track you down simply for having had contact with it. They'll take it away and burn it (one way or another :anibad: ) without giving a single thought to who it belongs to.