I only have a "dumb" phone.

brohgan

It's been about 4 months since I found my first cache, and I'm hooked. My friends, who introduced me to geocaching, have smart phones. I, however, am still typing out my texts using t9 on the $10 replacement for the blackberry I broke over 2 years ago--aka no data access whatsoever. I'm a full-time student, and I'm not comfortable raising my cell phone bill right now. Someday, hopefully, I'll be able to afford a new phone, but I don't see It happening anytime in the next year or so.

I really enjoy geocaching and would like to have the option to be more independent. I even mapped out a cache on paper when traveling recently, but I was unable to find it. Can anyone recommend a reliable, budget-friendly gps device that would enable me to do more than blindly follow others around? Or is there any other options for those of us who are smart-phone-less?

It's been about 4 months since I found my first cache, and I'm hooked. My friends, who introduced me to geocaching, have smart phones. I, however, am still typing out my texts using t9 on the $10 replacement for the blackberry I broke over 2 years ago--aka no data access whatsoever. I'm a full-time student, and I'm not comfortable raising my cell phone bill right now. Someday, hopefully, I'll be able to afford a new phone, but I don't see It happening anytime in the next year or so.

I really enjoy geocaching and would like to have the option to be more independent. I even mapped out a cache on paper when traveling recently, but I was unable to find it. Can anyone recommend a reliable, budget-friendly gps device that would enable me to do more than blindly follow others around? Or is there any other options for those of us who are smart-phone-less?

If you have a car gps you can use that for now.

I've gotten a couple of GPSs off of eBay. They have some good deals. Just make sure the seller has a return policy so you don't get stuck with a bad one.

Don't get anything over a few years old. Some really old ones are worse than using your maps.

Don't get a car GPS either.

An inexpensive GPS is often better than a smart phone, and cheaper in the long run.

If you can put a few extra bucks out and get a GPS that is "paperless" you will be so much happier in the long run.

There are threads on finding a good GPS. I hope someone will link there. Im on my phone and can't right now. :D

When I started out caching I looked in Ebay and found a secondhand gps. I wanted to make sure I was going to enjoy geocaching so did not want to spend a lot and then not enjoy caching. I had my faithful little gps for a year which served me well, now I use an iPhone. But the little gps was great to start me off.

If your 'dumb phone' is java compatible, there are geocaching apps for those as well. Trimble has some of these apps. I would recomend, if you want a handheld GPS to look on an online used website (in Canada we use Kijiji.ca). You can get a decent GPS for $40. For a starter GPS, the eTrex series is a good option. However, try to get one with an H after the name (eg. eTrex Legond H, eTrex vista HCx). The H indicates high sencitivity. This will help alot when in tree cover etc. You may find yourself wanting something newer and better later on, but for the low price, you really aren't loosing anything.

I'm also a student using a secondhand Etrex 10.

Just a bit of advice...consider advertising in your campus's noticeboards near the environmental, geology, natural resource management, forestry etc departments. Lots of postgraduate students and researchers obtain grants for field equipment including GPS devices and have no further use for them when they have completed their projects. Since they hardly had to pay for them, they will likely sell them off quite cheaply. University equipment also gets outdated and replaced regularly so older models might come up on sale if you ask technical assistants.