large number of bogus "discover" logs

Bhob

it would seem that a particular GC.com member has generated in excess of five thousand discover logs over the past few days

most (maybe all) of the items discovered appear to have tracking codes that begin with "PC0"

indications are that the discover logs were made in such a way as to suppress the usual e-mail that notifies the owner

I do not think that it is my place to name names

(I have sent an e-mail to Groundspeak)

if you have a collection of trackable items that do not leave your possession, you should be able to easily detect such items by requesting a list of your owned items, sorting by last logged date, and examining a few of the items with recent dates

to me, this is a disturbing new development

up to now, all of the bogus logging appears to have been done manually

but based on the volume of the logs, and the speed with which they were done, this looks like an automated process

whether you find such behavior creative (and welcome it) or find it obnoxious (and elect to delete the logs) is entirely up to you

I just deleted a number of Bogus finds on my coins by the cacher named in another forum topic started recently by CA Royal Flush. The coin IDs all began with PC0. He/she currently shows over 10,000 trackables moved or discovered.

It appears this cacher is in the US and most of their 1304 finds are in the mid-Atlantic states.

Edited by Edisto Patto

<snip>

indications are that the discover logs were made in such a way as to suppress the usual e-mail that notifies the owner

<snip>

Actually, I don't think that email notifications go out for discoveries anyway...only for pickups or dropoffs. Not discoveries or visits.

Or am I wrong about that?

<snip>

<snip>

Actually, I don't think that email notifications go out for discoveries anyway...only for pickups or dropoffs. Not discoveries or visits.

I got an email notification on my 12-12-12 necklace yesterday that was discovered at my event so yes emails do go out.

I don't see any reason why there is any hesitation to name the cacher who is doing this. It is wrong to virtually log trackables and hiding the person who does it just seems to me to let him continue under the radar so to speak. Knowing who I am looking for just might make it easier to find those logs. Very few of my coins have been logged recently but if I do get some of the bogus logs they will be deleted and the cacher named.

<snip>

<snip>

Yes, emails are sent when a discovery is logged. That's why these discoveries are so disturbing to everyone. This problem was reported to Grounspeak last Sunday and you can read about it in our thread.

Their trackable count is decreasing day by day as people find and delete their logs.

it would seem that a particular GC.com member has generated in excess of five thousand discover logs over the past few days

most (maybe all) of the items discovered appear to have tracking codes that begin with "PC0"

I do not think that it is my place to name names

(I have sent an e-mail to Groundspeak)

if you have a collection of trackable items that do not leave your possession, you should be able to easily detect such items by requesting a list of your owned items, sorting by last logged date, and examining a few of the items with recent dates

to me, this is a disturbing new development

up to now, all of the bogus logging appears to have been done manually

but based on the volume of the logs, and the speed with which they were done, this looks like an automated process

whether you find such behavior creative (and welcome it) or find it obnoxious (and elect to delete the logs) is entirely up to you

I find such behavior obnoxious. Five of my geocoins were logged by this jerk, and I have deleted them. What's his point anyway? There are no prizes for the cacher with the most discoveries. Why does a jerk like this have to spoil the fun of others anyway? I have no problem naming this cheater. His caching handle is "ithink314". Obviously he doesn't "think" about what he does to the integrity of our hobby.

Good Afternoon,

Today, I received notice that 6 of my Geocoins were found by the same person within a 24 hour window. Totally IMPOSSIBLE. Why? I have one of the coins in my garage and at least four of the 5 are either lost or in someone's private collection around the world on at least three different continents.

The user name is "Chup'a" and according to his profile he has found 1,683 caches and 6141 trackables and had only been a member since April 5, 2015.

Think about that, roughly 4 caches and 20 trackables a day, every day.

TOTALLY BOGUS. He has either hacked into your database or discovered the algorithm to identify the tracking ID of trackables.

While I don't geocache much, (currently a stay at home dad of twin toddlers), I wish to do so more when my kids get bigger.

People like "Chup'a" will ruin geocaching if he is allowed to carry on.

Thank you,

isee3dtoo

TOTALLY BOGUS. He has either hacked into your database or discovered the algorithm to identify the tracking ID of trackables.

snip

People like "Chup'a" will ruin geocaching if he is allowed to carry on.

Don't get too worried, there is no hacking or algorithm. It is likely a just a brute force script (or bot) that will try all possible combinations and "log" those that come up true. Someone can probably do it in GSAK in a matter of moments...

Report the user directly to GS...