Geocaches in Montreal & Quebec city

topekan

In a few months we are going to spend some extended time in these 2 cities. We would like to have people familiar with this area to share some of their favorites caches. We especially like those associated with biking paths. French is OK, we can translate. Thanks, Topekan

Edited by topekan

We enjoyed caching around the Botanical Garden, Parc Mont-Royal, and Jean-Drapeau Parc (on the island).

As with most urban caches, GPSr accuracy can definitely be an issue in the more built up areas. We got a lot of signal bounce, some of the streets can be pretty narrow.

Looks like things have changed quite a bit in the past two and a half years, I see a lot more caches.

If your French isn't so good, recommend pre-translating the descriptions that are only in English and editing the cache descriptions in GSAK. If you're doing any earthcaches, make sure your GPSr isn't going to cut off the description -- some are quite lengthy just in French, and our Oregon 400 cut off one when it was only a fraction through the English version. Fortunately my crappy French was enough to figure out the French earthcache questions.

From another thread:

We are going to spend two months in Quebec City and Montreal next summer. We use a DeLorme PN40. What all must I do to go geocaching in those areas? I do have a 4s I phone. Would that be useful for geocaching there?

Thanks,

Topekan

Be carefull with your smartphone that you don't rack up huge data roaming bills.

In Quebec city, make sure to find a few caches in the old city. There is a good series called SPUQ, I have found a few of those, they were all in exelent locations. Make sure to hit the virtule cache Tree Within The Old City. Also, try to find one or two by the Chute Montmorency (GC277XN or one of the others there).

I have never cached in Montreal, so can't help you there.

...If your French isn't so good, recommend pre-translating the descriptions that are only in English and editing the cache descriptions in GSAK. If you're doing any earthcaches, make sure your GPSr isn't going to cut off the description -- some are quite lengthy just in French, and our Oregon 400 cut off one when it was only a fraction through the English version. Fortunately my crappy French was enough to figure out the French earthcache questions.

Do any of the geocaching apps have hooks into google translate. I am not sure why they all don't. It really should be an easy feature to add.

Edited by Andronicus

We spent a week in Montreal in October.

Some recommendations:

- the caches on Mount Royal, not just because of the caches, but the scenery is great. Our favourite cache on the mountain is: Houdini.

- the caches in Parc La Fonteine, especially the caches of Les Bengales (for instance this one) if you like nicely camouflaged caches.

- the caches in the Jean Drapeau Parc are fun as well, they are easy and most of them are suitable for trackables and you'll have a great view on downtown Montreal.

The caches in the center of Montreal are almost all nano's and micro's, hard to find and not that interesting except for the great Wherigo caches of names Architecturale Tour. We did three of those to guide us along the interesting buildings.

And since you like bikes, don't miss this cache, Attention aux vélos, ;).

If you like to solve mysteries I would like to recommend you to work on this cache: Master of Mystery #10 - Montréal. It takes a lot of time to solve all the mysteries, but with a cold winter and you still have some months before you leave, you must be able to succeed!

Have fun in Montreal, we had a great geocaching week there!

...If your French isn't so good, recommend pre-translating the descriptions that are only in English and editing the cache descriptions in GSAK. If you're doing any earthcaches, make sure your GPSr isn't going to cut off the description -- some are quite lengthy just in French, and our Oregon 400 cut off one when it was only a fraction through the English version. Fortunately my crappy French was enough to figure out the French earthcache questions.

Do any of the geocaching apps have hooks into google translate. I am not sure why they all don't. It really should be an easy feature to add.

No, they don't. GSAK doesn't have a Google translate macro, either. I ended up doing it by copying cache descriptions into Google translate, then using GSAK to edit the cache descriptions and pasting the results into each cache. Yes, it got tedious.

It would be a pretty sweet idea, though. I brought it up back when we were using whatever that separate suggestion site was. And it comes up from time to time. Why don't you suggest it as a feature?

No, they don't. GSAK doesn't have a Google translate macro, either. I ended up doing it by copying cache descriptions into Google translate, then using GSAK to edit the cache descriptions and pasting the results into each cache. Yes, it got tedious.

It would be a pretty sweet idea, though. I brought it up back when we were using whatever that separate suggestion site was. And it comes up from time to time. Why don't you suggest it as a feature?

Well, mostly because I do not use the Geocaching.com app, I use one of the Live Enabled third party apps (officialy sanctioned, not the officialy banned one).

In a few months we are going to spend some extended time in these 2 cities. We would like to have people familiar with this area to share some of their favorites caches. We especially like those associated with biking paths. French is OK, we can translate. Thanks, Topekan

Hello Topekan,

When exactly are you planning to come? It's winter now and with few more inches of snow, it will be geo-snowshoe time. If you wish to communicate with me through my GC account, we can determine where and when you will be in Montréal and I can set up a great trip for you!