What are distinct caches

maxx borchovski

On my stats it says I currently have found 34 caches (33 distinct). What is the disparity between the two numbers?

It means that you have 34 "Found it" logs, but on only 33 different caches, which means that you logged one cache twice. Luckily, you don't have many finds, so I was able to browse through them and found two logs on GC3881D. If you delete one of those logs, that stat line will then have matching numbers.

I recently saw someone's stats who had 28 finds that were repeats, out of about 300. I don't remember who it was, it was someone pretty new. I think I noticed they posted 3 finds at once on one cache, and looked at their stats. They had 28 that were multiple finds. Very strange.

I didn't know if I should do anything about it. I wouldn't know what to do. I'm not the geocaching police, so I just let it go and even forgot who it was.

pretty strange though.

I recently saw someone's stats who had 28 finds that were repeats, out of about 300. I don't remember who it was, it was someone pretty new. I think I noticed they posted 3 finds at once on one cache, and looked at their stats. They had 28 that were multiple finds. Very strange.

I didn't know if I should do anything about it. I wouldn't know what to do. I'm not the geocaching police, so I just let it go and even forgot who it was.

pretty strange though.

I think you did the right thing, which is nothing. Some cache owner will likely point out the issue and it will likely go away. Even if the issue doesn't go away I hope it will not affect your enjoyment of our game. :)

Depends on the cache and the owner. I know of several "grandfathered" moving caches - they move from place to place. Owners allow seekers to log them if they are in multiple locations.

Another instance is if the cache is significantly different, but the same listing. I've seen people change almost all of the aspects they can - micro to regular, move it 520 feet, change the terrain and difficulty ratings. Then the cache is VERY different than the original one. I've seen people allow multiple logs for finding the different iterations.

Personally, I wouldn't normally log a cache more than once, but I did in the past with events. I probably will go back and clean those up some day.

pretty strange though.

I have noticed that a couple time now.

If it happened on one of my caches, I would send a note to bring it to their attention, and suggest they delete the extra.

If I see it on someone elses cache, I just ignore it, and leave it up to the CO.

I might, however, mention something if I happen to meet the person at an event. Especially if they are new at the game. :)

pretty strange though.

No. i am not the cache police.

No, this does not lessen my enjoyment of the game.

Yes, i have bigger problems in life. But....

I would send this person a friendly note with the theme "you might not have noticed...".

This happened on a cache of mine a couple of days ago. I think the only real issue is that if they're unaware of it and think they've allocated a specific cache to find for a milestone, then realise there's duplicates before that milestone, it'll send everything askew if they then delete the duplicates.

I know I wouldn't like to double up, so mentioned it to that cacher.

:huh:

I am a little perplexed about this issue. I am fairly new at all this and I am trying to understand quickly, however this one eludes me.

I also have 23 finds but 20 distinct. Reading the previous comments indicates that there are possible double ups etc in my finds list. I could not find anything. The only thing that stands out is that I have logged 3 DNF's. Can anyone shed some light onto this subject please.

Regards,

Daniel

I am a little perplexed about this issue. I am fairly new at all this and I am trying to understand quickly, however this one eludes me.

I also have 23 finds but 20 distinct. Reading the previous comments indicates that there are possible double ups etc in my finds list. I could not find anything. The only thing that stands out is that I have logged 3 DNF's. Can anyone shed some light onto this subject please.

Regards,

Daniel

It doesn't involve anything except the number of "found it" logs you've posted.

If you post more than one "found it" log per GC code, your stats will be out of sync.

I'm not sure where you are seeing "20 distinct", because the statistics tab in your profile says:

Rummaging_Remins has found 23 caches (23 distinct) since 12/14/2012.

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=6699483

B.

That is weird, on my screen is shows the following

6699483.png

You might want to check again. When I looked at those stats just now, they say "Total Caches 24, 24 distinct".

When people ask about "distinct" caches, they are usually referring to the numbers under the Statistics tab in their profile.

I'm guessing that your third-party stats software takes a while to catch up to your Groundspeak stats.

B.

I'm guessing that your third-party stats software takes a while to catch up to your Groundspeak stats.

If I'm not mistaken, mygeocachingprofile requires you to upload your MyFinds PQ for the stats to update. They must have done so since their last post a few hours ago, because the currently shown stats are different than what they posted.

Regardless, both when they had 20 finds and now when they have 24 finds, the number of finds is equal to the number of distinct caches, so there aren't any duplicate logs. No fault found.

I think the duplicate Found logging often appears with newer cachers if they re-visit a local cache to retrieve/drop off a trackable - Often they haven't discovered the 'Write Note' option.

If I notice it I'll usually send them a polite email explaining about it... If I was new I'd appreciate somebody letting me know.

MrsB :)

I think the duplicate Found logging often appears with newer cachers if they re-visit a local cache to retrieve/drop off a trackable - Often they haven't discovered the 'Write Note' option.

If I notice it I'll usually send them a polite email explaining about it... If I was new I'd appreciate somebody letting me know.

Exactly how we learned, a few years ago. :)

I notice a lot more duplicate logs nowadays and I think it has to do with logging via smart phone. I've seen as many as 4 identical logs from one cacher.