Exclude output from a PQ in a 2nd PQ

Delta68

When I plan to go to an area I'll run a PQ for that area but I then run another PQ for the route to the area or for an overlapping circle if you see what I mean.

At the moment I run the first PQ, load it into GSAK, add the whole lot to the ignore list and then run the second PQ (excluding caches in the ignore list) to avoid duplicates

What would be really handy is if I could just exclude the results of the first PQ in the 2nd PQ

When I plan to go to an area I'll run a PQ for that area but I then run another PQ for the route to the area or for an overlapping circle if you see what I mean.

At the moment I run the first PQ, load it into GSAK, add the whole lot to the ignore list and then run the second PQ (excluding caches in the ignore list) to avoid duplicates

What would be really handy is if I could just exclude the results of the first PQ in the 2nd PQ

Sorry, I'm a bit confused and may not be understanding you correctly. If you're using GSAK, can you not just load both PQs into the same database? GSAK doesn't care about duplicates. Can you describe what your desired final result is or how you will use the result?

I load them into GSAK in one big happy database. If I need to separate the two (say if I want to output separate GPX files, one for the journey, and one for the destination, I would run two filters on my combined database, both along the lines of my two PQs. I'd typically run an arc/poly filter to get the journey caches, and your typical within-a-radius-of-central-coords type filter to get the co-ords for when I'm there.

I just don't worry about duplicates. Generally, the duplicates "make sense": some caches are on the journey, some are at the location, and some are both: your duplicates. When I'm on the journey, I want the duplicates because they're on the journey. When I'm at the location, I want the duplicates because I'm at the location. I assume the problem is that the duplicates reduce the number of caches you can have in either PQ, but I've never run into a case where that's a big deal. Surely there aren't that many duplicates. So what am I missing?

I used to worry about this a little with the overlapping circle problem, but I never tried to do anything about it. As time goes on, I've found that the overlap is actually quite useful in practice because it means that when I'm moving from one to the other, I can switch PQs in that area that both of them cover and always have the nearby caches.

1. Calculate your radius PQ first, map that, and locate the cache on the outside of the circle that's closest to your route of travel into the area.

2. Then, construct your route PQ to end at a point near the cache located at the outside edge of the circle. You will now have few, if any, overlapping caches.

You can mix the two PQ results into a single database in GSAK, but do a trick like a color code or user checkbox to differentiate all the caches from the route query. That way you can sort the two apart or combine them at will.

This would be hugely useful. It would make it possible to set up a query "Home" which showed me the nearest 1000 caches I haven't found, then another one "Home 2" which showed the nearest 1000 caches I haven't found that weren't in "Home".

What would make more sense still is to lift the 1000 caches per PQ limit so we didn't have to fiddle around with assorted schemes to circumvent it.

You'd probably be limited to running both at the same time. Personally I'd be happy with a 5000k count query that would eat up my 5 query limit.

You'd probably be limited to running both at the same time. Personally I'd be happy with a 5000k count query that would eat up my 5 query limit.

If we're going to have a limit I'd rather it were a weekly limit rather than daily. It would also be good to have an option to produce a PQ that only included caches that had changed status in the last X days (where X could be a user option). That would massively reduce bandwidth requirements - we could run a query that said something like "show me the 5000 caches closest to home" once a week and then run a query saying "show me the caches within 20 miles of home that were published/disabled/enabled/archived in the last 7 days" every day. The daily query would be quite small, and having it include caches that had been archived would be hugely useful so they didn't just stop updating.

Being able to do something like that would also mean we could save part of our weekly allowance to create a similar "show me the 5000 caches near some other point" or "show me caches long a route" if we were going away somewhere.

First. Please apologize my bad English.

I asked this myself very often and I think this is a very good idea. When you build a PQ there should be a checkbox to choose other PQ. The results of the checked PQ should then be excluded in the new PQ.

e. g. I Have a home zone and area around my working place. Some of the Caches are twice. On Vacation you can design larger Areas with a few PQ and You have not so exact with the coordinates to get a maximum of caches.