Charter Members

15Tango

How many of us Charter Members (people who bought Premium Memberships during the first year or so they were offered) are still active? I only know of a handful in my area. How about those who were Charter Members, gave up on geocaching for a while, then came back as plain ol' Premium Members (if that is possible - since I maintained my membership ever since I was first a member, I wouldn't know from personal experience if I would lose my Charter Member status if I let my membership lapse, then become a Premium Member again).

On a related note, it would be neat if, say during during the 10 or 15 year anniversary of memberships being offered, or something similar, Groundspeak was to roll out a Charter Member only coin or travel bug, only offered for sale to those of us Charter Members who are still active in the pastime.

If you let your Premium Membership lapse your Charter Memberships is gone.

Sometimes a little social engineering can fix this. Mine lapsed once, because of a billing snafu when they changed the automatic billing system. I sent a nice little email to TPTB and it was back. That was only a day or 2 though - you might have to get more creative for longer lapses.

...it would be neat if, say during during the 10 or 15 year anniversary of memberships being offered, or something similar, Groundspeak was to roll out a Charter Member only coin or travel bug...

A 10-year souvenir icon would be fun. And Premium members could receive one also when they hit 10 consecutive years as a PM.

If you let your Premium Membership lapse your Charter Memberships is gone. I know as I let mine lapse for a month or two and it's gone, but not forgotten. :sad:

I let mine lapse while I was doing a remodel on our house, it was about a 6 month lapse if I remember

Edited by vagabond

If you let your Premium Membership lapse your Charter Memberships is gone. I know as I let mine lapse for a month or two and it's gone, but not forgotten. :sad:

I let mine lapse while I was doing a remodel on our hose, it was about a 6 month lapse if I remember

Wow, it took you six months to remodel a hose? I just roll mine up willy-nilly.

:lol:

On a related note, it would be neat if, say during during the 10 or 15 year anniversary of memberships being offered, or something similar, Groundspeak was to roll out a Charter Member only coin or travel bug, only offered for sale to those of us Charter Members who are still active in the pastime.

I think that is a fine idea, and I hope that Groundspeak is listening! A t-shirt or something like that that you could wear to events would be appropriate too, I'd think.

I think that is a fine idea, and I hope that Groundspeak is listening! A t-shirt or something like that that you could wear to events would be appropriate too, I'd think.

That would be nice.

i totally agree. it never made sense to me to lose one's charter title because of letting a premium account lapse. i mean, a charter member is a charter member. you can't change the fact that someone was there from the beginning, or almost from the beginning. that's why i put charter member under my avatar in the my forum title.

(edited because i never get it right the first time.)

Edited by RedShoesGirl

Charter Member and proud of it!

Ditto! B)

And love the suggestions for commemorative coins, T-shirts, and/or souvenirs.

I was a few months late to the party but I am in total agreement that it would be very cool to come up with a way to recognize longevity in the game. I will hit 10 years in just a bit more than a year from now. I am no crazy when it comes to stuff like this but I think it helps the game to acknowledge the long time players in some way.

I let mine lapse while I was doing a remodel on our hose, it was about a 6 month lapse if I remember

Wow, it took you six months to remodel a hose? I just roll mine up willy-nilly.

:lol:

it was a special hose and I didn't want to get any kinks in it :lol: :lol: :lol:

I like the idea of separating premium membership from charter member. If they are separate, then the people that purchased the charter membership will always be designated as such, even if the account is inactive. Nice piece of history. Then a lapse in premium membership doesn't necessarily equate to a loss in having been a charter member.

Idea is worthy of placing in the suggestion area. I'll do so.

A coin that only the Charter member can buy?

I say that they simply give to all of you, and only you. You all deserve it. When I got my plaque for ten years of service at work, they didn't offer to sell it to me. It was presented as their appreciation of my hard work. Groundspeak should look at it the same way.

I like the idea of separating premium membership from charter member. If they are separate, then the people that purchased the charter membership will always be designated as such, even if the account is inactive. Nice piece of history. Then a lapse in premium membership doesn't necessarily equate to a loss in having been a charter member.

Idea is worthy of placing in the suggestion area. I'll do so.

excellent!

A coin that only the Charter member can buy?

I say that they simply give to all of you, and only you. You all deserve it. When I got my plaque for ten years of service at work, they didn't offer to sell it to me. It was presented as their appreciation of my hard work. Groundspeak should look at it the same way.

Not sure if only Charter Members deserve it or not. There's no doubt that many of you who came along later would have become paying members on the spot, if you had only known about geocaching sooner. Now, the one's that knew about it then but didn't pony up, as the gecko on geico would say,, forget about it! :lol:

How many of us Charter Members (people who bought Premium Memberships during the first year or so they were offered) are still active? I only know of a handful in my area. How about those who were Charter Members, gave up on geocaching for a while, then came back as plain ol' Premium Members (if that is possible - since I maintained my membership ever since I was first a member, I wouldn't know from personal experience if I would lose my Charter Member status if I let my membership lapse, then become a Premium Member again).

I'm still active!

I'd love to have a commemorative coin! Are there enough of us to make it worthwhile to mint such a coin? Anyone know how many active Charter members there are? When I met Jeremy this summer he said that we were "a dying bread" but I didn't ask for numbers.

I'm a former charter member. First paid up in Sept of 2002, I think. I let it lapse for a year or two some time back, then got back into it when Waymarking came along. I haven't done either activity much lately, but I've been keeping the membership up.

Anything Groundspeak would like to do to restore my glory and recognize the greatness of me and my one-time-fellows would be welcome.

ETA: Oh, yeah. Ironically, while I was an unpaying member, I was still listed as Charter, and I had access to Off Topic. That kind of dis-incentivized renewing for a time. :ph34r:

Edited by Dinoprophet
... When I met Jeremy this summer he said that we were "a dying bread" but I didn't ask for numbers.

does that mean we are getting moldy or drying up?

Oops! Of course I mean 'breed'. :anicute:

My problem is I eat so much bread that some folks think I'm breeding. :lol:

I'd be careful about eating too much bread. You might get a yeast infection.

... When I met Jeremy this summer he said that we were "a dying bread" but I didn't ask for numbers.

does that mean we are getting moldy or drying up?

Oops! Of course I mean 'breed'. :anicute:

My problem is I eat so much bread that some folks think I'm breeding. :lol:

I'd be careful about eating too much bread. You might get a yeast infection.

She wouldn't be eating so much bread if she didn't knead the dough.

Or an icon next to our avatars?

We used to have a special icon. For whatever (bad... very bad) reason it was removed fairly recently. Basically I don't think Groundspeak gives a hoot about charter members, as long as we keep paying them. I don't expect to see any of the perks suggested in this thread - they just don't care.

Another Charter Member here!

Not too many of us left in the Cincinnati area.

Maybe Groundspeak could create a longevity Souvenir for us old-timers? Or an icon next to our avatars?

Or free, lifetime memberships?

Does anyone know how many Charter Members there are. We will soon be 88 and counting down.

Edited by W7WT

...it never made sense to me to lose one's charter title because of letting a premium account lapse. i mean, a charter member is a charter member. you can't change the fact that someone was there from the beginning, or almost from the beginning. that's why i put charter member under my avatar in the my forum title.

I agree. Charter membership was sort of a badge of honor for signing up when Groundspeak first offered premium services. It's related to paying back when paying wasn't cool.

...it never made sense to me to lose one's charter title because of letting a premium account lapse. i mean, a charter member is a charter member. you can't change the fact that someone was there from the beginning, or almost from the beginning. that's why i put charter member under my avatar in the my forum title.

I agree. Charter membership was sort of a badge of honor for signing up when Groundspeak first offered premium services. It's related to paying back when paying wasn't cool.

If I remember right...it was only donations. I remember giving, but I don't remember paid only caches (aka Premium Only Cache). I could be wrong of course.

I actually joined BEFORE my buddy, he just paid the lifetime bit. Somehow I didn't even know it was an option for a while. I'm OK with not being a Charter myself, but it would be nice to have something that says I've stuck with the game for this long.

I just came upon the designation of "charter member". Congrads to all you geo cachers who have maintained your Charter Member status. As an avid Geo-cacher all I can say is that I am a bit jealous but just like a FTF the spoils go to those who were there first. This does not take away my dedication or enjoyment of this ( dare I say) sport. :)

I just came upon the designation of "charter member". Congrads to all you geo cachers who have maintained your Charter Member status. As an avid Geo-cacher all I can say is that I am a bit jealous but just like a FTF the spoils go to those who were there first. This does not take away my dedication or enjoyment of this ( dare I say) sport. :)

...thank You!!!

I was recently told by somebody that ought to know that there are only about 95 of us left that have paid continually since the beginning.

I was recently told by somebody that ought to know that there are only about 95 of us left that have paid continually since the beginning.

Wow. Interesting to know. Do you kow about how many there were at the peak?

No - but there were 4 of the 95 of us sitting together that day.

I have been wondering for some time just how many Charter members were still around. I am also a WWII Navy Vet and I know their number is dropping fast. I would have thought it would be a larger number than 95. Thanks Dick, W7WT Bremerton, WA

I'm pretty sure I was a charter member, but I'm not positive. Someone who became a member 2 months before me is, and I know I paid for a premium membership pretty quickly, but I don't know if it was within the first year they were offered. I stopped geocaching (i.e. finding caches, although I continued to maintain my hides) for an entire year in 2010 and my premium membership lapsed when I didn't pay the annual fee. When I cam back to it, I was just a premium member.

...thank You!!!

That seems low to me, but I have no way of knowing. It wouldn't be hard for the right person to ascertain this - perhaps an inquiry to the right person could be made? Whoever this "right person" might be.