Having trouble linking account to 3rd party apps

DarthKelly

I have a Blackberry, so I'm stuck with third party apps. I am having trouble with linking my geocaching.com account to a couple of third party apps. I've tried Geocache Navigator and BlackStar. I even paid for a premium membership, in case that was the cause of the problem.

I emailed Trimble about this, and this is their response:

"Groundspeak has made some recent changes to their server which has caused some issues in running our software. The engineers are aware of the issue and are working on a fix."

This isn't very clear to me, and I was wondering if anyone on the Groundspeak side has any further information?

It is now December 12 and exactly the same situation and the same response is being given out to users of this app it would seem. I have a BB (Torch) which has functioned flawlessly since 2008 using this app then suddenly.......poof.....it all goes to hell!! It would seem that Trimble is either not interested in getting the problem resolved (at least a week has gone by and the problem persists??) or that they simply don't care. Either way it is vexing to say the least!!

Groundspeak??? Anyone have anything to say on this?

thanks in advance

Pappasky

I have been informed by engineering that there was an error on our side that was causing this problem and that it was fixed yesterday. Please check to see if you are still encountering the same issue; if so, it might be necessary for Trimble to make some adjustments to account for the change. I can follow up on that if problems persist.

I have been informed by engineering that there was an error on our side that was causing this problem and that it was fixed yesterday. Please check to see if you are still encountering the same issue; if so, it might be necessary for Trimble to make some adjustments to account for the change. I can follow up on that if problems persist.

Thank you so much Moun10!! It seems "that" part of the issue has been somewhat repaired (at least I am able to get cache listings), but there are other things that have now popped up and I am not sure where to begin the resolution process? Who is doing what and where do I fit in..........

Navigator is no longer recognizing caches I have found years ago despite my filter to "hide caches I have found". When I ask it to list caches ALL of them show up......grrrrrr!

When sent notifications of new caches I try to enter the GC number into the correct area (find by cache code) and get a result that says "no match found"

It is ALL painfully slow now

Is it me?

If you can point me in a direction that gets me back where I was a month ago with a well working 3rd party app I would greatly appreciate it. If it is not possible and I should just give in and buy a handheld GPS can you let me know that too? (grin......)

As always, I appreciate your words of wisdom and your swift attention to these things.

PS

Navigator is no longer recognizing caches I have found years ago despite my filter to "hide caches I have found". When I ask it to list caches ALL of them show up......grrrrrr!

Having the exact same scenario. Can successfully link my device to my premium GC account, but find filtering isn't working and It also appears that any trimble logged field notes are not uploaded to GC.com. If this is a successful account linkage... Hoping that the creative development gurus at GC recognize the customer base maintains older devices (even premium users) and backward compatibility is restored for Trimble navigator. Using 2.0.7. Thanks!

If Trimble GC Navigator 2.0.7 is in fact completely desupported by Groundspeak an announcement officially ending support should be issued to clarify expectations.

Edited by sawics

Is Geocache Navigator still not uploading Field Notes? Can someone confirm either way as I'm ready to go out caching soon and don't want to spend all day caching to get home and find nothing uploaded.

Hardly seems worth using if that's the case now.....will probably use CacheSense as an alternative.

Leigh....

Is Geocache Navigator still not uploading Field Notes? Can someone confirm either way as I'm ready to go out caching soon and don't want to spend all day caching to get home and find nothing uploaded.

Hardly seems worth using if that's the case now.....will probably use CacheSense as an alternative.

Leigh....

DOA and no one at Trimble has the courtesy to respond to any of our requests for assistance. I personally have sent no less than 10 message to them at their "feedback" link and have contacted one of the support team at their personal email addy. Nothing, nada, zip. I think we can only conclude that they either don't give a rats a** or they are just hoping we all go away. Shame really as this was a GREAT app and one I have used exclusively since 2008. CacheSense pales in comparison.

What chaps my a** is that they continue to offer their "product" in several caching venues and through BBWorld.

I can still use the app to find things in locations I have not cached before, but it is not playing nicely with Groundspeak and does not recognize caches I have found before and will not mark a cache as "found" by way of a field note. Sadly, I have to take paper with me and remember to write stuff down, OR once I find the cache switch to CacheSense and log the find in that way. Another pain in the behind........

Sigh

Pappasky

Pappasky - thanks for the update - it's quite sad because GN is a dadgum good piece of software and still recommended but people are really purchasing a kipper if the field notes dont work - pretty useless. I'm the same as you - relied on it totally and while CacheSense is good, it's not as good as Geocache Navigator for simplicity. I tend to use Navigator and CacheSense together unless I've got my GPS with me.

Take care! Leigh.

I have written to Trimble several times about this issue since the beginning of the year. Each time I get the standard 'Our engineers are onto it, no date for a resolution' response. I wonder if this is the case. Shame cos the Blackberry often gets a better fix on caches than the Colorado. But without filtering out 'my finds' and creating field notes the application is seriously flawed.

This is latest reply from Trimble - blame clearly lies with geogaching !

Andy

Yes, the issue that you are facing is because of the changes that Groundspeak (geogaching.com) made to their system.

Their engineers have been contacted and we hope to have it fixed soon. Unfortunately they have not provided us a time frame when it will be released.

Our engineers are also working on finding some alternate solution but i do not have any confirmed release dates for that too.

We certainly apologize for all the inconvenience caused.

Regards,

In our last contact with Trimble they were planning a February release, but in testing things, our devs discovered that they weren't using the proper data/filters to do what they wanted. Our devs informed them of exactly what they were doing wrong and what they should be passing to the API. We have heard nothing back from them.

Our devs are now going to check the logs to see if anything has changed and then follow up with them.