250.00 gps?

I am wanting to purchase a new gps.

My budget is 250.00

I am seriously looking to the "Earthmate pn-60"

But i don't know if that is overkill, would the "Earthmate pn-40" be just as good?

From what i can tell They are the same except for the fact that the 60 has much more onboard memory.

But i want your advice. What would you recommend for a 250.00 gps unit?

and between the two gps' mentioned, what would you recommend?

One of my biggest problems, is here in north east Arkansas, there is ALWAYS cloud cover.

Does any gps preform well in a cloudy environment?

Let me know what you think.

We have and really like our '40, but I must tell you that the '40 eats batteries as if they were home-made chocolate chip cookies, fresh out of the oven.

One of the better features of the '60 is that it is much more graceful in terms of battery life.

Is that a make-it or break-it scenario? For us, no. For others, perhaps.

I believe that the '40 is now discontinued... that may be the line from which one may draw a conclusion.

Cloud cover has zero bearing on GPSr reception. Canopy has a far greater bearing -- wet canopy even more so.

Edit: <typo>

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

I am wanting to purchase a new gps.

My budget is 250.00

I am seriously looking to the "Earthmate pn-60"

But i don't know if that is overkill, would the "Earthmate pn-40" be just as good?

From what i can tell They are the same except for the fact that the 60 has much more onboard memory.

But i want your advice. What would you recommend for a 250.00 gps unit?

and between the two gps' mentioned, what would you recommend?

One of my biggest problems, is here in north east Arkansas, there is ALWAYS cloud cover.

Does any gps preform well in a cloudy environment?

Let me know what you think.

Can't commend on the earthmate units but don't worry about cloud cover if you've got even a halfway modern GPS unit. I live in England (known for rain) and the only time my old 60CSx (dating back to 2006) lost signal due to the weather was in fog so thick I was driving at 45mph on a motorway where I'd normally be doing ~70 or so and even that felt like I was pushing my luck a bit.

I've used both my 60CSx (which might come in under budget for you) and my Montana (which definitely won't) in everything from blazing sunshine to torrential rain, hailstorms, thunderstorms etc and they've both been just fine.

great input everyone.

I realy apreacite the information.

this is great stuff.

keep it all coming.

etrex 30 ? u can find cheap/free maps to work with that. yah?

Note that the box with an Earthmate PN also includes 5 DVDs with routable, topo maps of the USA, Canada and Mexico.

No need to develop a new hobby of seeking out and downloading 3rd party cheap or free maps.

Paperless geocaching straight out of the box.

great input everyone.

I realy apreacite the information.

this is great stuff.

keep it all coming.

etrex 30 ? u can find cheap/free maps to work with that. yah?

Note that the box with an Earthmate PN also includes 5 DVDs with routable, topo maps of the USA, Canada and Mexico.

No need to develop a new hobby of seeking out and downloading 3rd party cheap or free maps.

Paperless geocaching straight out of the box.

I voted to get a earthmate PN-60.

I got one for 150.00, :yikes: i figured it would be the best buy over all, even if i do subscribe to there map service for 2 years, its still a deal i feel.

Thank you everyone for your comments, and helping me to choose my upgrade gps.

P.S. My phone (htc inspire) Always looses gps lock if there are clouds in the sky. It tracks great on sunny days, but..... it is just a phone after all. :-)

I voted to get a earthmate PN-60.

I got one for 150.00, :yikes: i figured it would be the best buy over all, even if i do subscribe to there map service for 2 years, its still a deal i feel.

The map subscription is $30 per year for unlimited downloads. Therefore in all that you want is 200GB and are sufficiently ambitious to aquire that much in one year, there is no reason to sign up for a second.