Revive an old cache idea

313JTG

I stumbled upon an archived cache the other day that had a really cool concept behind it. The cache was a regular sized one filled with dozens of smaller caches that others would take and then place on their own. I believe it was called the "Cache Machine". It was archived way back in 2008 and the CO hasn't logged on in over a year, so I can't ask him to borrow the idea.

I'd like to revive this idea with a cache of my own once I find the perfect spot. Can I still take the idea even though I never got permission from the owner due to inactivity?

I'ts called a breeder cache. A cache machine is a group of people that cache together. There's no reason you can't place such a cache in your area. but my personal feeling is if someone does not have the inclination to find a suitable container, they probably dont have the inclination to research an appropriate location, publish and maintain. Finding the container is only a small part of the effort required to get a new cache listed.

They are discouraged, at best, and may not be allowed at all. For sure you can't specify that the finder MUST hide a cache to claim a find (that would be an ALR). The problem with these was a glut of thoughtless caches (imagine that!!!) just so people could log their find. It is a little better when you don't require them to rehide one, but really... if people are going to, they probably don't need your cache factory for a container.

I'd like to revive this idea with a cache of my own once I find the perfect spot. Can I still take the idea even though I never got permission from the owner due to inactivity?

For the second part of your question. You do not need a cache owners permission to copy the general idea of a cache, even if the owner is active.

If the cache is really unique, and you are going to put one somewhat nearby, it would be polite to ask. However, people copy cache ideas they like all the time. Sometimes that's good, and sometimes not so good.(think LPC :) )

Just be sure to read the guidelines first.

A cache listing cannot require or encourage the placement of more caches. That's in the listing guidelines.

Nothing, however, prevents you from stocking a cache container with more containers for people to place. You just can't promote it.

Alright, well I make it work without promoting the placement of cache. Thanks for the help everyone!

A cache listing cannot require or encourage the placement of more caches. That's in the listing guidelines.

Nothing, however, prevents you from stocking a cache container with more containers for people to place. You just can't promote it.

Alright, well I make it work without promoting the placement of cache. Thanks for the help everyone!

It would help the cause to promote good quality containers with a water-tight seal, like:

• Coghlans Match Boxes
  • authentic (not dollar store variety) small (3" long) Lock & Locks or
  • small nalgene jars

coghlan-s-plastic-match-box.png3424918501_f4f1f89227.jpg340653_4oz_clear.jpg

I still don't think it's a good idea.

Someone is going to find a cache and take a container or two. Even though they might be asked to place it right away, it's going to be burning a hole in their pocket, knowing they've got a ready made container. Eventually they may find a spot where the container will fit, place the cache, then try to get it published. That, to me, is a backwards way of doing things. I would prefer to see people find an interesting location that is worth visit first, then, after reading an understanding the guidelines, find or construct a container that works best for that location, then place the container.

If you do go ahead with it, please, please, please stock it with quality containers. Don't just toss in a bunch of film canisters.

Yup.

A breeder cache based on lock 'n' locks, decons, or ammo cans(!) would be cool.

There doesn't appear to be any shortage of new caches with low-grade containers.

Way back in 2003 I place such a cache, Vector Mojave GCH7ZM. At the time ALR were allowed and so were caches promoting cache placment. Today they aren't.

After less then a year I removed the ALR and placed a 2nd cache ,Vector Mojave , The Cure, so that so that finders could rid themselves of the infection they got at the first cache.

Believe it or not, at the time these were placed there was a shortage of caches in the area and this was the reason for the placement.

Even if it was allowed today, I wouldn't put this ALR on the cache, it was a pain to keep them stocked, doesn't promote good caches and made me into the cache police. I would still place them as the story is a good one, stolen from Renegade Knight and GCD803.

If you do go ahead with it, please, please, please stock it with quality containers. Don't just toss in a bunch of film canisters.

Is there I way I can buy bison tubes by the bulk? They're a little too steep in price on the Geocaching website, in my opinion.

Is there I way I can buy bison tubes by the bulk? They're a little too steep in price on the Geocaching website, in my opinion.

This outfit sells them in various quantities on ebay Linky

This outfit sells them in various quantities on ebay Linky

Watch out for the greed factor. A cache full of free good quality bison tubes might be an empty cache within a couple of visits. The seed cache idea is problematic on so many levels.