Download Caches to a delorme PN60 without a laptop

desuro

Hey cachers...

I have an odd problem that I am in hopes that someone can help me with.

In preparation for traveling to California for an extended work stay I loaded up about thirty caches into the DeLorme PN-60 within a five kilometer radius of where I would be staying and set off. Well there are so many more in the area to go snag that I am wanting to add some however, I did not bring my personal laptop, only the iPad and Geocaching.com and Apple are not on speaking terms... :(

Is there a way to add caches manually into the PN-60 ...? I do have a work laptop but cannot load stuff onto that unit, DOD regs and alll that...

Any help is appreciated.

Best,

Rob

You can manually enter the coordinates, cache ID and name as a waypoint and find caches that way. You will not however, be able to load up the regular page info that you normally would.

It would direct you to GZ just as if it were a cache. You will not be able to upload field notes from that method, either.... so be prepared to log on and enter your finds online the "old fashioned way".

EDIT to add: Notice too, they will not be located in a geocache file, you will need to access a waypoints file on the card to find them.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Below the directional dial are 3 buttons, middle one should have an icon that looks like a push pin. Press the middle button and it'll bring up a screen that has the Name, Coords and a couple other fields. Use the directional button to select the field you want to change, and the Enter button to start editing it. You can even change the icon to the left of the Name to one of Geo-caching's icons, it will save the manually entered waypoint under the GeoCache menu rather than the WayPoint menu.

Nice, I did the manual add for a cache that I want to go find and I'll try it out Saturday, too dark after work already...:( The cords are saved under waypoints and assigned a waypoint number.

I am excited to try this out and I will write down or print the description info from the cache that I may need and the hint... This is a little cumbersome but not a big ta- do and at least I can add caches.

Thanks very much, I appreciate the assistance.

Best,

Rob

I'm glad it worked out. The lesson here is to do a Pocket Query for the nearest 1000 caches, even if you think you're only going to look for 30! Then you'll have them, just in case. The PN60 is reasonable quick even with a big PQ, although admittedly not quite as quick as it is with just 30 caches loaded.

I'm glad it worked out. The lesson here is to do a Pocket Query for the nearest 1000 caches, even if you think you're only going to look for 30! Then you'll have them, just in case. The PN60 is reasonable quick even with a big PQ, although admittedly not quite as quick as it is with just 30 caches loaded.

dp,

Well, I will not know if it worked out yet or not, I'll try it out tomorrow....

You'll have to forgive me if I ask what a PQ is and how those are loaded... Yes, my mistake was not filling up the PN60 with more caches than I possibly could have found during this trip out to San Diego... live and learn and I will load many more next time out.

I just do not like to carry another laptop if I do not have to...

All right,

Thanks,

Rob

Oh my.... you are still using "Send to GPS"?

Pocket Queries (a Premium Member bennie) allow you to download up to 1,000 caches at a time, 5 times per day, and load them into your GPSr in a single shot. In GPX file format, each cache loaded has all of the data on your GPSr (aside from photos) almost as if you have the website along with you -- including the hint and the last five logs for that cache.

Although you do not need it, Cache Register (a free-download widget) from Delorme, allows loading all of those PQ's to the unit in a methodical order as well as uploading your field notes (finds, not-founds, notes) to the website. It is easy to use with just a little practice.

Additionally, if you remember to NAME each PQ before you run ([submit]) it, you can load caches from different areas and access them anytime you want w/o having to search through a couple of thousand caches or so to find them in the unit.

I know you are about to embark on a trip -- but do look into Pocket Queries when you have the chance. You are missing probably the biggest reason for being a Premium Member. Locate a link to Pocket Queries on your Profile Page, near the bottom-right side of that page.

Well, I will not know if it worked out yet or not, I'll try it out tomorrow....

It should work fine. If you print the descriptions, you'll have everything you need. (Don't forget to decode the hint before you print so you don't have to do it by hand in the field.) It's kinda clumsy, but it should work with a small number of targets.

You'll have to forgive me if I ask what a PQ is and how those are loaded...

To quote Gitchee-Gummee, "Oh my". You're in for a very pleasant surprise. Gitchee-Gummee gives the basics, and you can find the details in the premium member features documentation on-line. If you really have no chance of connecting to a computer, you might want to put off reading about it until you get home so you're not too disappointed with what you're missing. On the other hand, if you read about it, it might induce you to go to more effort to get connected!

Ok, so update... Yes the manual cord input worked Nd I am pleased to how to do that, thanks very much. I planned to and did just as you stated and printed the couple that I wanted to go get. One was great but the other I did not attempt as the parking situation was just ridiculous... The was none within three city blocks, close proximity to an upscale hotel with parking for cabs only... Weird. I may return there when I cart the bicycle off to the city with me but for now I could not be bothered.

I still had a productive day off and had a great time of it. Left two TBs that I brought with me from Maine and picked up another, a Scout related TB that we will add to and bring back East.

I will also read up on the PQ procedure and be prepared for the next outing. Good stuff.

Ya know, I really dig this game...:)

Thanks again all.

Best,

Rob