What features should they add-delete-modify?

Since they are doing away with Challenges, I thought I'd like to hear some ideas of things geocaching.com should add, delete, or modify from the site.

No need to bash anyone's idea here.....just add one of your own.

Personally, I'd like to see them modify the trackable's homepage to give the owner the ability to turn off "took it to" logs. Yes, I know....it shows that it's still alive..., but I hate pages and pages of "took it to" logs.

I just want a toggle to turn them off or leave them on.

What are your ideas that you'd like added, deleted, or modified from geocaching.com?

Since they are doing away with Challenges, I thought I'd like to hear some ideas of things geocaching.com should add, delete, or modify from the site.

No need to bash anyone's idea here.....just add one of your own.

Personally, I'd like to see them modify the trackable's homepage to give the owner the ability to turn off "took it to" logs. Yes, I know....it shows that it's still alive..., but I hate pages and pages of "took it to" logs.

I just want a toggle to turn them off or leave them on.

What are your ideas that you'd like added, deleted, or modified from geocaching.com?

This thread is a tad "pie-in-the-sky", but has some discussion along the lines you're looking for. It's been covered over and over...we'll have to see what is "heard" by TPTB and done next.

Discovered and Visited should be for geocoins and icon candy travelers only. TBs going to events are simply what we have to deal with.
Who has to "deal with" TBs going to events? Event organizers? TB owners? Event attendees? TB movers? Geocachers at large? And in what way do we/they have to "deal with" them?
Discovered and Visited should be for geocoins and icon candy travelers only. TBs going to events are simply what we have to deal with.
Who has to "deal with" TBs going to events? Event organizers? TB owners? Event attendees? TB movers? Geocachers at large? And in what way do we/they have to "deal with" them?

Stop by the TB forum sometime. Heck even start your own thread.

I'd like to see the search for caches improved. Like being able to search for keywords within a state.

That would be on my list - even better would be a search within a particular radius since I live in a big state. I would also like to see wherigos addressed - I liked the builder better than some alternatives but it has been broken for a long time. I would get rid of souvenirs since it seems like another project that was largely dropped. At the very least I would allow people to opt out (like with stats). I suppose the v-word is better left out of this discussion.

Stop by the TB forum sometime. Heck even start your own thread.
Or, since you brought it up in this forum, you could post a concise summary so others who don't frequent the TB forum could understand the purpose of your suggestion.

Personally, I like having TBs (e.g., my trackable hiking staff, Riledwino's trackable hat) visit events and other cache listings, and I like having people discover them. I don't see a problem.

Your turn.

I'd say they first need to fix and finish what's currently on the site and roll-out things that have been promised but haven't materialized. Some examples:

-Finish the corrected coordinates feature. (ie. Full integration with the API and GPX files, extended to all cache types, etc.)

-Roll out the long-promised PQ rebuild.

-Roll out the long-promised nano size. (Personally, I'd prefer to see nanos go away, but since they're allowed and will stay, give us what you've promised)

-Fix the very-long-standing timestamp bug.

-Finish releasing the country souvenirs or get rid of them entirely. Don't leave it halfway.

Wow, good idea. But I don't want to leave it up to the owner. I'd like to have an profile option so that when I look at them, all trackable lists leave out the discovered log entries. And naturally a button to push to flip back and forth between a list with them and without them.

I'd also like to click on one of the numbered stops on the trackable's map and be taken to that place in the log entries.

Fix bookmark lists so that they are actually usable. For example, have a link on a bookmark you own to delete it or move it to another list.

Another good idea. A lot of people would find that particular idea very useful, but I also dream of the more general approach of being able to download a bookmark list in XML, manipulate it however I want as a text/XML file, and then send it back after I've done what I want to it.

I'd like to see the search for caches improved. Like being able to search for keywords within a state.

Or, use the users home coordinates when executing a search by keyword, thus allowing sorting by proximity from the users home location.

In general the search mechanism is really archaic. Using something like Solr, with support of facets could provide a really powerful and flexible search mechanism.

Nano sizing would be good. Is it just me or does it seem like I am sending the same information to the reviewer twice when I am filling out the form to hide a cache. I click the preview button and I get an email saying that I have sent it to the reviewer. Then I try to fix my grammer and things of that nature then send it again. Anybody else think they are sending it twice??? :huh::huh::huh::huh::huh:

Rework the geocache search page to allow for multiple criteria queries. Why can't I search for all caches with a name beginning with "ROCK" hidden by King Boreas and found by Team Dennis? Maybe even be able to use wildcards in cache names? Also, let the user key in a full string of coordinates, rather than having to break them up into separate fields.

That said, I would like to point out that this thread is redundant, as there is an entire forum that exists for the same purpose as this thread.

Fix bookmark lists so that they are actually usable. For example, have a link on a bookmark you own to delete it or move it to another list.
Good thought... I'd like to be able to easily moves caches from my 'puzzles to solve' bookmark list to my 'puzzles I've solved' bookmark list.
If I could specify caches that I have not found for my bookmark PQs (the way I can for my location PQs), then I wouldn't need to delete caches from my "solved unfound puzzles" bookmark list. I could just maintain a "solved puzzles" bookmark list and let the PQs sort out which caches on that list are found or unfound.

Rework the geocache search page to allow for multiple criteria queries. Why can't I search for all caches with a name beginning with "ROCK" hidden by King Boreas and found by Team Dennis? Maybe even be able to use wildcards in cache names? Also, let the user key in a full string of coordinates, rather than having to break them up into separate fields.

That said, I would like to point out that this thread is redundant, as there is an entire forum that exists for the same purpose as this thread.

Ooooh! This!

And... Oooh! That, too! :laughing:

I'd like a feature when logging using the geocaching app on the iPhone to be able to somehow select all TBs in your possession to be 'all visited' a particular cache as opposed to having to log each individual trackable.
If you post a field note, then it's pretty easy to dip all the trackables in your inventory once you convert your field note into a real log.

How about a tally for: BEING IGNORED

We can see how many are watching a particular cache, how many favorite points a particular cache has garnered. Some of us can view who has opened one of our cache pages.

Why not Being Ignored.

It might give non local cachers a heads up to ... "delicately stated" ... caches with issues

Geo-Huggggzzzzzzzzz, From the Head Rabble Rouser

Edited by humboldt flier

May have already been suggested, but a 528ft diameter circle around caches on the map that could be toggled on or off would be nice, and/or the long/lat with your pointer, ala google earth and the ruler from google earth. I guess you can bring them up in google earth for the last two, but the circle would be great.

May have already been suggested, but a 528ft diameter circle around caches on the map that could be toggled on or off would be nice, and/or the long/lat with your pointer, ala google earth and the ruler from google earth. I guess you can bring them up in google earth for the last two, but the circle would be great.

You can also bring up the crop circles in Google Earth with a GSAK plugin.

I was going to point out the same thing. On the other hand, off the top of your head can you identify the last Feature suggestion that was posted in that forum that was actually implemented? I can't.

The Worldwide Challenges suggestion forum was pretty low volume, perhaps a dozen or so posts a week, but quite a few WW challenges were created based on user suggestions. Granted, it was a lot easier to create a WW challenge than to implement some of the feature suggestion, but at least there was some indication that they were listening.

I'd like a feature when logging using the geocaching app on the iPhone to be able to somehow select all TBs in your possession to be 'all visited' a particular cache as opposed to having to log each individual trackable.

I'd like a feature in the iPhone app that would automatically shock anyone that had every TB in their possession visit a cache.

Edited by dprovan

one simple feature I really could need:

when I as a CO feel I (or a user) must delete (or edit) a find it log,

I really could need to add a little message to the user,

so I can explain WHY..

as it is now, I need to go and look up the user, and then message him

and also copy and paste links to the cache I talk about,

it is simply too much hazzle so I just delete and dont tell why,

they can ask if they want to know.. not the coolest way..

another feature I really would love

add a VERY loud and clear CO quality indicator on my profile name

like VERY visible to me and to anyone,

make it just as visible as my find number..

I suggest 3 colors

GREEN, YELLOW, RED

Green = ZERO of my ACTIVE caches got NM or NA flag

Yellow = 1-9% of my ACTIVE caches got NM or NA flag

Red = over 10% of my ACTIVE caches got NM or NA flag

---

Add on top of this a new RULE

forbid a CO to create new caches as long as he is in Red quality status

Sure there are a few tricks to get arround this,

but for most users this will tell them how to clear flags, and how important good service really is

to the quality and fun factor of this hobby.

Edited by OZ2CPU

You can do this (and a lot of other usefull stuff) with this browser userscript Geocaching Map Enhancements which works on Firefox, Chrome, IE, Opera and possibly others.

Edited by MartyBartfast

>You can do this (and a lot of other usefull stuff)

HOW !!!

I installed this toolbar as suggested, but just got ALOT of stuff, I dont really want or understand

all I cared about was the circles arround the caches.. but they dont apear..

OMG.. I managed to click on the BIGGEST download button ?!?!?!

DONT EVER NEWER DO THAT.. it is the smallest one, you need to click..

ok but I still dont manage to get them circles on the map ??

HOW ?

Edited by OZ2CPU

>You can do this (and a lot of other usefull stuff)

HOW !!!

I installed this toolbar as suggested, but just got ALOT of stuff, I dont really want or understand

all I cared about was the circles arround the caches.. but they dont apear..

OMG.. I managed to click on the BIGGEST download button ?!?!?!

DONT EVER NEWER DO THAT.. it is the smallest one, you need to click..

ok but I still dont manage to get them circles on the map ??

HOW ?

Once the userscript is installed you need to:

Open up the Geocaching.com map link.

In the lefthand sidebar click the "Set Map Preferences" and choose Leaflet maps.

On the map you should see an "i" button at the bottom of the maps, click it.

Now when you click anywhere on the map you get a popup box with some options, one of which is "drop marker" which will drop a circle of any size where you clicked (the default is 0.1 miles).

It can do a lot of other stuff (including displaying custom maps), but it takes a little getting used to, I think there are instructions somewhere on the page I linked to.

I suggest 3 colors

GREEN, YELLOW, RED

And yet again I need to point out that having NM flags on your caches does not necessarily make you a bad CO. There are even legitimate reasons for logging a NA that don't imply anything bad about the CO (ie. a mall goes up at GZ, a fire burns through the forest, etc.).

I suggest 3 colors

GREEN, YELLOW, RED

And yet again I need to point out that having NM flags on your caches does not necessarily make you a bad CO. There are even legitimate reasons for logging a NA that don't imply anything bad about the CO (ie. a mall goes up at GZ, a fire burns through the forest, etc.).

RIngs too much of a scarlet letter or stocks & pillory to me, anyway. You can't shame people into good behavior.

I am still waiting for the My Hides pocket query.

I do this by setting a PQ for caches I own within a silly distance like 1000 miles of my home co-ords

Sure, but a properly built My Hides PQ would contains ALL of your caches and logs, not just the junk that's still active. For your method to work, you would have had to start from the beginning and run it often.

so I can explain WHY..

I second this one! It's just the proper way to do things.

so I can explain WHY..

This was asked for a long time ago. It would be very helpful. It can't be that hard to code. Create a text box where you can enter your message, have it included in the email the geocacher already gets. How hard is it to insert a String in an email that is already being sent? Heck, I'll offer my services free if they'll give me a crack at it.

Edited by The_Incredibles_