Favorite points for log entries

El Fartero

TFTC, yourself! Am I annoyed when I get a lame cookie-cutter log on the caches I've put so much work into creating? Of course not! I do have a life, and have more important things to get upset about!

Yeah, and that bridge in Brooklyn is a steal at twice the price. Actually, in a list of things that irritate me, TFTC-type logs rank somewhere between pebbles in my shoes and a visit from my mother in law. And my mother in law eventually will go home.

Well, you can't do much to chastise those who write lame logs. Most of them are probably decent enough folks who help at school bake sales. There's no need to hurt their feelings.

But why not reward those cachers who take the time to write the clever and witty logs that entertain us and liven up the cache description page? My suggestion is to allow the CO to award a "Favorite point" to the log entry that stands above the rest. The favorited log should be highlighted, and a tally of such favorite points awarded should be kept on the cacher's Profile page.

Log entries are a significant part of our game. I think a feature like this would enhance their quality, and thus benefit other aspects of geocaching as well.

TFTC, yourself! Am I annoyed when I get a lame cookie-cutter log on the caches I've put so much work into creating? Of course not! I do have a life, and have more important things to get upset about!

Yeah, and that bridge in Brooklyn is a steal at twice the price. Actually, in a list of things that irritate me, TFTC-type logs rank somewhere between pebbles in my shoes and a visit from my mother in law. And my mother in law eventually will go home.

Well, you can't do much to chastise those who write lame logs. Most of them are probably decent enough folks who help at school bake sales. There's no need to hurt their feelings.

But why not reward those cachers who take the time to write the clever and witty logs that entertain us and liven up the cache description page? My suggestion is to allow the CO to award a "Favorite point" to the log entry that stands above the rest. The favorited log should be highlighted, and a tally of such favorite points awarded should be kept on the cacher's Profile page.

Log entries are a significant part of our game. I think a feature like this would enhance their quality, and thus benefit other aspects of geocaching as well.

What I wouldn't do to ... your best cache. I don't owe you carp for finding your container.

bd

Edited by BlueDeuce

A few days ago a CO wrote that he wished he could give one of my logs a favorite, and another recently thanked me for the photos I included in the log. I have never cut and pasted a log, even after 160 caches into the day. I often like to log and it is one of the things that keeps the game fun.

But with that said, if this suggestion were adopted I would think seriously about only using the four initials. I don't think everything needs to be "liked." I would not want a tally anywhere near my profile. I would not award any favorites on my cache pages.

I am most apt to write something if there is a creative location, a photo op, or a title that brings out a stream of consciousness. I am less likely to write something if it is just another cache. But in either case my logs are written as a personal part of the game. If people read them fine. If not fine. But I don't want them put up for a vote.

Edited by geodarts