Start day when upgrading membership

MollyChCh

We joined Geocaching in May and want to upgrade to Premium. Do we have to pay 30 Dollar for just 6 month? Or how is the start day calculated? when filling out the form it shows the 23 May 2012, so paying for 3 months does not really make sens (unless you have a time machine...).

So can we pay now for three month, then again in February, cancel it for a few days and than start yearly again in May? Sounds a bit silly...

OK, it might be good to add that information somewhere were you apply for the membership, because that is the information you get:

Duration: Annual

Start Date: 12/05/2012

End Date: 12/05/2013

That does not suggest that the premium membership would start from today for 1 year, does it?

Just paid the 30 Dollar...

That does not suggest that the premium membership would start from today for 1 year, does it?

It certainly does to me. Today is December 5th, 2012. It would expire on December 5th, 2013, exactly one year from today. I'm having a hard time seeing the confusing part.

BTW, just as a note, your profile doesn't say you created your account in May. It says you created it on June 1st, 2008.

It certainly does to me. Today is December 5th, 2012. It would expire on December 5th, 2013, exactly one year from today. I'm having a hard time seeing the confusing part.

I suspect the confusing part is that in the USA dates are formatted month / day / year, whereas in Europe they are usually written as day / month / year. Hence you see 12/05/2012 as 5 December whereas a European will read it as 12 May...

Of course, the most sensible system is the Japanese one of year / month / day, at least with that format sorting numerically is the same as sorting by date.

Have fun,

Ian.

I wonder if the date format shows incorrectly in this instance even when settings in the profile show the right date format. I think if that is the case then this could be submitted as a website bug as the dates displayed should conform to the user's profile date format settings.

MollyChCh, can you go to Your Profile Settings (click) and see what setting you have for Date Format (you can look directly from this

link)

Today is December 5th, 2012. It would expire on December 5th, 2013, exactly one year from today. I'm having a hard time seeing the confusing part.

I suspect the confusing part is that in the USA dates are formatted month / day / year, whereas in Europe they are usually written as day / month / year. Hence you see 12/05/2012 as 5 December whereas a European will read it as 12 May...

I considered that, but when the date format isn't clear, I look for some context to determine which format is being used. Since the OP posted here on the 5th day of the 12th month, I would think they'd be able to figure out that the date shown was the current date. Also, in the OP they said "when filling out the form it shows the 23 May 2012", and I have no idea where the "23" would have come from. Maybe there's something else going on.

OK, I admit that I was too stupid to understand a format for the date and can see that the rest of the world has to follow America.

And I did not check the setting as I had no idea that I would have these settings. I understand that it is clear that you select the American format if your home coordinates are New Zealand as everyone here is used to this format.

Anyway, thank you for all the replies.

To GeePa: Thank you for the link, I changed the setting.

To the A-Team: You use a new computer and have the finger in the wrong place when typing blind. So instead of typing 12 you move your finger to the right and use the next two keys....

As I said in the beginning: Stupidity as you do not come across the American format.