Sign in to follow this  
Followers 2
Tante.Hossi

Challenges are gone!

The challenges have gone. They are now past.

Does this mean that now potential for development and time for Waymarking are available at Groundspeak? That would be great news!

So please use at least a small part of these capacities to try to correct the worst errors and bugs on Waymarking.com.

We require no additional new features. We just want that the page works correctly and we can pursue our beloved hobby better.

Could this be a deal? :anibad:

Please! Please! Please!

I don't think that Groundspeak continues the development of Waymarking. The site is running (here and there not correctly) but it runs.

There are too few active Waymarkers! Unfortunately, that's the case, the money is made with geocaching.

We require no additional new features.

PQ's would be nice but it will be a dream.

Edited by Tharandter

I don't think that Groundspeak continues the development of Waymarking. The site is running (here and there not correctly) but it runs.

There are too few active Waymarkers!

I do wonder if our Waymarking is now threatened. Challenges are gone; what's next?

...I do wonder if our Waymarking is now threatened. Challenges are gone; what's next?...

Bryan wrote me: "We are not planning to retire Waymarking." So everything is okay :grin:

I keep hoping with challenges gone, that perhaps GS will consider having Waymarking become the new virtuals. There would be quite a bit of interest, if, and only if, waymark visits added to your stats.

How should this be done?

• Allow cachers to opt in/out of having their WM visits add to their find count
  • Allow category owners to vote on whether they want their category to add to stats (keep the power with the owners)
  • Find count goes up by one, public stats if you click them will clearly indicate the WM count just like it does for virtuals
  • Allow waymark owners, as well as the category owners, to delete visits that don't conform to the logging requirements.

I keep hoping with challenges gone, that perhaps GS will consider having Waymarking become the new virtuals. There would be quite a bit of interest, if, and only if, waymark visits added to your stats.

How should this be done?

• Allow cachers to opt in/out of having their WM visits add to their find count
  • Allow category owners to vote on whether they want their category to add to stats (keep the power with the owners)
  • Find count goes up by one, public stats if you click them will clearly indicate the WM count just like it does for virtuals
  • Allow waymark owners, as well as the category owners, to delete visits that don't conform to the logging requirements.

So sorry, ChileHead, but I disagree with some of your points (marked in red)

if, and only if, waymark visits added to your stats.

Waymarking has been around for at least 6-7 years now, right? The major complaints I hear people have are:

- Waymarking is full of things like McDonalds (we know there is a lot more to it)

- Waymarking is lame (some is, some isn't ... just like geocaching.)

For better or worse, geocaching has become a game about the numbers for many people. Adding waymarks to stats I see as the major thing to get people to give this site a serious try.

Allow category owners to vote on whether they want their category to add to stats

This would help with the perception that wm'ing is all about McDonalds. Don't allow some categories to count in stats, if the category owners decide it makes sense. Or maybe it's decided with the help of Groundspeak. Do you think all waymarks should count?

Allow waymark owners, as well as the category owners, to delete visits that don't conform to the logging requirements.

I think there has to be some sort of quality control of logging, the power being given at minimum to the waymark owner.

Hey there ChileHead.

Here's my response to some of your points:

There already is a quality control of waymark visits.

The power to delete a waymark visit log that doesn't meet the requirements already rests with the waymark owner. I highly doubt there is ANY category owner who has any interest whatsoever in monitoring waymarks in his/her category. That could/would be extremely time consuming. Would a category owner get a notification every time a waymark in that category is visited (so he/she can check to see if the visit requirements were met)? That won't go over very well!

ALL waymarks should count or NO waymarks should count if waymarks are included in geocaching stats.

If a geocacher isn't interested in Waymarking because the stats don't count in their geocaching profile, that's just too bad. A Waymarking count shouldn't be their driving force. I'd rather they get involved for a better reason than that.

I do appreciate your desire to convince more geocachers to try Waymarking. I just disagree on the suggested methods. I personally think creating quality waymarks and sharing them with geocaching friends is a better way to go. But we each have our own ideas, and I respect that.

Hi,

Groundspeak will not change things at Waymarking.com. Not in the near future. They set there focus on geocaching.com. That's the reality. Perhaps I'm wrong but I think the Waymarking stats will never be implemented in the Geocaching stats by Groundspeak.

The best thing we can do is to show people how great Waymarking could be. Blogs, social networks, forums,... If you ever got the feeling, starting a Waymarking trip through a new city, early in the morning, less people on the street, sunny warm day, where ever you look, great statues, churches, fountains, mosiacs,......you and your camera/gps, that's Waymarking. (Not really the stats)

~Some great Waymarks~

Edited by lumbricus

ALL waymarks should count or NO waymarks should count if waymarks are included in geocaching stats.

That would certainly be the easier way to roll something like this out. The main reason I suggested a filter is to prevent the McDonalds crowd from jumping in claiming this is lame. You know, the people that say Waymarking.com is full of McDonalds listings and nothing else. Filtering out such categories could stop some of this. Of course, then people will find other categories they don't like.

If a geocacher isn't interested in Waymarking because the stats don't count in their geocaching profile, that's just too bad. A Waymarking count shouldn't be their driving force. I'd rather they get involved for a better reason than that.

You're right, that the count shouldn't be the driving factor. But it is the carrot on the stick leading them here. I've said for years that the answer to the "bring back virtual" crowd is Waymarking. It's well thought out, eliminates the "wow" factor that plagued virtuals in the first place, and has a great review system built in. But the "bring back virtual" crowd won't be interested until they can get a +1 on their smile counts.

My direction would be more of just reporting the stats on one profile page but not combining/adding the Waymarking stats to the geocaching stats. Much like what is done with benchmarking stats. I realize that is what was done with challenge stats and it did not help them succeed but I just think the anti-count group would be very vocal just as they were when challenges did count toward find count for a few days in their beginning.

but I just think the anti-count group would be very vocal just as they were when challenges did count toward find count for a few days in their beginning.

You're right. Which is why you really have to have an opt in/out option to appease - at least somewhat - the anti-count crowd. Of course, they will still complain that cacher X is including 1000 McDonalds in their find count, but it's really none of their business.

Yes, challenges did count for a few days and people complained. When the count was removed, people stopped doing them. Can't win either way.

but I just think the anti-count group would be very vocal just as they were when challenges did count toward find count for a few days in their beginning.

You're right. Which is why you really have to have an opt in/out option to appease - at least somewhat - the anti-count crowd. Of course, they will still complain that cacher X is including 1000 McDonalds in their find count, but it's really none of their business.

Yes, challenges did count for a few days and people complained. When the count was removed, people stopped doing them. Can't win either way.

This would have to be a two-pronged process. Include/Exclude in Stats... Include/Exclude in Search Results

There are 11 Geocaching types for Pocket Queries that yield 14 unique icons. There are 15 Waymark categories. Give people the choice of what they will receive in searches.

FWIW, the search options in Waymarking are superior in many ways to Pocket Queries, but only PQ's allow one-stop shopping.

B) BQ